Why do people care so much about HP?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by maryjane33, Oct 9, 2010.

1. The reason people enjoy having and driving fast cars is because its a hobby, something that interests them. Some people like driving fast cars others don't, like how some people like smoking weed, others don't.

2. and i have enough sense to know not to get hit

3. I like to go fast.

[​IMG]

4. you don't have much of a chance of living, either. your four banger engine offers you no protection, and to top it off your car is made of plastic.

5. Why do people care so much about dick size?

bragging rights. plain and simple.

6. Lets see data.

7. Cause breaking the law is more fun with a faster car

8. "MY idea is the best idea and anyone elses makes no sense and is stupid to me and therefor everyone else."

Some people like thing's you don't. Who says I need a reason to make a car go really really fast or to go 140mph on a snowmobile or any of the other countless toys we have in motorsport. People enjoy it. I would think a forum full of stoners would be more "live and let live" / "to each their own". If you don't get it or don't like it then don't join in. Bitching about it though is just a lame way to beat around the bush saying you are right and everyone else is an idiot and it makes you look pretty immature.

9. because people love cars, and if some one loves cars, they're going to want their's to be awesome. people who love weed always want good, above average weed, so who are you to judge?

10. What is wrong with having a car that isn't a boring, grocery-gettiing econobox, if that's what you like? Why is your opinion/preference on cars better than others'? :confused:

Cool, you have a boring economy car. Good for you. Why do we have to do the same??

I think here is your problem. You're confusing need with want. Hell, you don't need a car at all, so why do you have one? If we're talking about need, all you need is food, water and shelter. Pretty much everything else is a want, and people want things you don't and that's just how it is.

If you think getting to 75mph in your economy car is fast, there's no way in hell you've driven anything truly fast. Fast compared to maybe bicycling or walking, sure, but that's about it.

And you're worried about friggin gas prices?? Somebody who has a car they are trying to make fast (especially 400hp+ fast) really doesn't give much of a shit about gas economy, at least not compared to a damn civic. It's apples and oranges; you don't get a civic to go fast (unless you're retarded and don't know what fast is, or are willing to spend a ton of $$), and you don't get a sports car/muscle car to save gas. You get a civic to save gas, and a sports car/muscle car to go fast.

You might as well start asking why people bother to eat good food. "You don't need steak and lobster, why the hell are you people bothering to eat it?!" :rolleyes:

11. OP you should read about forced induction.

I have a vw gti vr6, which only puts down probably 150-160 hp with the loss from being a 1995. And mind you that is a 6 cylinder and i still get 26-27 mpg avg in the city... driving as some would call spirited. And this will pull hard on for example all stock mustang gt's (besides the brand new ones) mustang gets what MAYBE 19-20??

Now, if i was to put a turbo (obviously the bigger the higher rpm's for boost = better for this example) but i can get a turbo+ IC and obviously parts for install and be at 300-400 hp & TQ easily with a good tune.

Lastly, that would be a car with 300hp/tq+++ and i would still get maybe 5+/- mpg less than your car, without the sound of a 4 banger, the beautiful sound of a BOV and the option of tearing shit up if i feel like it.

Your honda may be ok for you, but you dont need some america muscle that gets shit for gas and not very nice to the wallet to have power and fun. You can make major power without any of that have a car thats light as shit, will be able to out corner, out brake, and pull pussy like that honda cannot, as well as take the kids to school without a care in the world.

12. u odviously are not a car enthousiast. its not all about hp in the first place. but its about the fact of having bragging rights to be able to say I built this car with my own hands and its faster than any other car on the road. Its also about the respect u get from the people that have the same interests as you. its no different than smoking bud. some people can smoke k town out of a tin can and others will only smoke the dankest of the dank out of name brand glass. but i guess words are words and u may not care but once u get in a 400hp car and go down the quarter mile u could change ur mind.

13. You clearly have never ridden in anything fast, it's a rush, it's sweet!

14. I don't need to prove it, Carcraft did a whole write-up on a 400hp 25 MPG highway CARBURETOR engine. I have a fuel injected engine :)

now I'm not saying driving a truck at 80MPH would get you better gas milage, a car on the other hand, can. it all depends on the final drive ratio.

search any car forum, more power (to a degree) gets more mile-age.

15. the rush you get when take off the line is amazing. i drive a rsx-s so it doesnt jump off the line it just spins, fuck fail wheel drive lol. i take a friends 600 down the strip sometimes, fun as it gets

16. Then why do top fuel dragsters burn like 5 gallons in a half mile? By your logic they should be the greenest motorsport there is.

Im guessing you went the route of building a bigger engine then you wanted and detuning it for reliability and mileage? Thats kinda cheating in the context of your arguement.

17. someone already said this but it's a hard feeling to explain unless you've driven a chevelle with 600 hp, sounds amazing and is fun. my current car is slow as shit but looks pretty nice tho ive had it for 4 years im bored as hell of it and im tryin to trade it in on an srt 4 (dont hate) soon. lookswise the srt isnt the best but for the price you cant get a daily driver thats much faster.

18. plain and simple not everyone has the same interests, some people are interested in powerful cars, and you happen to not be.

19. Not really. He is referring to using a more powerful engine that doesn't need to work as hard. My uncle had an old pickup with a pos v6 in it and put in a 350 v8 and everyone thought he was insane cause it was his commuter truck. With the new engine though you never had to really push the engine to get where you were going and got better mileage 90% of the time.

20. I'll give you a good reason. An alert driver in a capable and responsive car may be able to avoid an accident or prevent one alltogether. If you're already at 70 mph, something with 100 bhp and an automatic transmission isn't going to be able to accelerate out of a bad situation. You'll floor it, it takes the transmission a second or so to activate the kickdown downshift, and you're still not accelerating very quickly.

Lets say I've got a manual transmission and 300 bhp or something. If I sense a shitty situation, I can throw it down to 5th and have the throttle wide open in less than a second and be over 100 mph in 3 seconds. A performance car will often have superior brakes and handling as well, making it the better choice for defensive driving.