why do people believe in god...??

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by wonderfulworld, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Some people are so caught up in worshiping god or Jesus or whatever, wasting their time at fairytale school and church and shit.

If you're religious why ? :serious question:

I just think that god is just a made up thing to give people false hope/answers >.>

2. One day I was hanging with Fun Gus and I thought everything was so beautiful and perfect that I figured there must have been some kind of creator that made it all just so that I could enjoy it.

"The Lord is my shepard, I shall not want,
    He makes me to lie down in green pastures"
    -Psalm 23

3. #3 TesseLated, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011

haha...YES!

That is your answer OP....whether you ever want to actually See That is another matter...:smoke:

...Also, organized religions of the world dont have a corner on believing in ~God~ ..lol!

4. the perfection of the universe is actually an arguement against intelligent design.

the claim is that the universe is perfect, therefore must have been created by inteligence.

take a look at nature for a minute. name one thing that was "created" that is perfect.

intelligence is both subjective, and imperfect.

my arguement is that the only way a perfect universe can exist, is if for every action there is an equal and oposite reaction. this causes eternal balance (perfection)

the fact that the universe works is evidence that it cant have been created, because the act of creation requires a will. a will is subjective and requires motivation (desire). anything that is willed therefore cannot be perfect.

5. Aw really? I thought it was cause we were too stupid to realize science has it all figured out.

:bongin:

6. Now if that's not ironclad logic, I just don't know what is. There's no arguing with that, the great mystery is solved!

7. The way I see it?

A lot of religious people are religious because that is what they were raised to believe and it's hard for them to even comprehend otherwise.
    The older you get, the harder it gets. You try to convince some 70 year old woman that all her dead loved ones aren't actually living happily-ever-after in heaven, they're just fucking dead? Where's that going to get you? No where. No one wants to believe that. And it feels cruel to even try to convince someone of that.

But then you've got the people who have actually taken the time to seriously consider what they believe and where we all came from.

Some of us choose the god option, some of us don't.

If you've thought long and hard about it and believe that the universe must have been made by a "creator", then hell, more power to you for at least thinking about it first.

I may not agree, but we're only human and we aren't all going to come to the same conclusion.

To each their own, right?

8. When I read Smokee's thread, on why he believed in god, naturally I had to ask,

Why does anyone believe in god?

And subsequently the question lead me to this thread.

--

Why do people believe in god?

I'm about to find out by reading the answers in this thread.

9. So far, I think I like Junkiedays' explanation.

But I can't help to add my own idea, as to why people believe in god.

I think people believe in god because they need something to believe in.

They need to believe that their pain and suffering is not endless.

They need to believe that there is a way for better future.

They need to believe that there is someone looking out for them.

They need to believe that god will take away the pain and provide them with their needs.

Something like that...

People believe in god because they can't believe in humans.

People believe in god because they feel abandoned.

People believe in god because they have nowhere else to turn to.

So on and so forth...

People believe in god because there're too much pain and suffering...

People believe in god because...

Life is tough.

10. Genius.

11. *Shouldve noted this was the 'REALIZED' version of reason to believe in ~

:smoke:

12. #13 Perpetual Burn, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
    One night I Dropped by Cid's house and I thought everything was so depressing and sinister that I figured there must be some kind of better place that I was really from or supposed to be... a kind of Heavenly reference point that must be apart of my inner nature for anything to ever be considered so terrible relative to.

"He will command his angels concerning you,
    and they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone."
    -Psalm 91

13. Bad trip...been there too...go figure...!

It does help you realize that Side though...and no, not talking about Hell.

14. #15 Xysephen, Oct 20, 2011
    Reasons Why people believe in God:

- Most common reason is if Someone was brought up in a religious family. That's what brainwashing is... You don't have a choice. Cuz when your a baby, your a sponge; whatever your parents teach you is what you will believe... the older you get the harder it is to change your views.

- Some people may of had a near-death experience, and they believe that they saw "God or "Heaven". Well if you were that close to death, that means your brain would of either been suffocating from the lack of blood or air; or your brain could of been bleeding which could cause realistic Hallucinations, and since you were close to dying you might of thought of God or heaven which could of been the fuel for your realistic Hallucinations...

- someone who has had a tragedy happen in they're life, and they don't know how else to cope. they NEED a Happy crutch "God". a sense of peace, happiness, and reason to keep moving foward. You may say "why is this a bad thing"? Well it's an unhealthy crutch to believe in a false hope no matter how reassuring it is...

15. If you know who Jesus is, there's no way you can deny Him or say He isn't deserving of worship. That's just my opinion and reality though

16. #17 Xysephen, Oct 20, 2011

no one really knows who jesus is. books tell who he is, books like the bible. my opinion is that book does have some good universal teachings, but other than that it's false.

there's no personal testmonials of jesus existing. im not saying he didnt exist at all, but all the things he can do or did is just exaggeration. just like what we say about chuck norris.

*edit - not meaning to start a fight, all my opinion.

17. Oh, you're gonna get one ha ha jp.......maybe

I agree. Except I don't think he ever existed

18. yeah i use to think he never existed too. but i thought he could of, but he was just a mere person with no divine traits.

19. It's possibe. I doubt it tho. I think the bible is just a guide with a good purpose, but no factual stories