why do i have such bad luck cloning?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jamified, Sep 22, 2007.

1. ok so this is my third attempt at cloning, and Im not sure that it's going too great. My first time and second time I only tried two at a time, and Im not really that surprised that they didnt make it. this time however I bought special cloning cubes, a humidity dome, and to my knowledge I have done everything right so far. I cut the cuttings at about a 45 degree angle with a razer blade, dipped them in rooting gel, then stuck them in individual cubes. then i misted them as well as the humidity dome, and placed a CFL above them. it's been about 4 days now, and they are doing what my other clones did before dying. they all get really droopy and sad looking. Is this supposed to happen? for some reason i dont think it is. Im putting a shitty cell phone picture up of them, and even though the picture isnt great you get a good idea of what they are looking like. thanks to anyone who can help me.

Attached Files:

2. look fine to me, just put that humidity dome back on there. take it off for a few minutes once or twice a day maybe. shouldn't have to water them again for a few days either.

3. try trimming some leaf or something...it looks like theres alot of vegetation for those little rootless babies to support. never cloned myself, just my two cents.

4. Hey man .. like he said take some of that extra foilage off.. They can't support all that pirspiration and they are wilting for a lack of moisture. leave only the very top grow shut and like one leaf that has each leaf tip sliced off.. At least that is what I do.. and keep the dome wet inside and on there.. They root faster the more they are watered also..

5. could there be any other reason for this? i would like to know because mine did the same thing but i only had one leaf on each

6. thanks for the responses. im going to see how these ones do over the next few days, and either later today or tomorrow ill take some more cuttings with fewer leaves on them. out of my 5 bigger plants that I have going right now I really just want to focus on getting some good clones out of them so I can get a nice ScOG going. we'll see how it goes....

7. Yes, they will wilt a bit....takes about 7 days for them to root.

DOnt stress them any more by cuting of leaves at this stage unless they are completely dead.

Keep the dome nel keep the cubes wet and mist every now and then....they will root I promise you.

8. they tend to be a bit saggy for a few days and then they will pick up ! thats if you did it right (I do think you did)
    I have not done a MJ plant yet but to get some practice I started a few tomato plants a mth ago to act as my guinea pigs(LST,cloning..ect...) ,I have only taken one clone so far and it looked saggy for a 3 days and now looks fine but I have not seen any roots yet or any new growth in hight!! I think I have to wait a few more days to see some!!
    but you'll know something not right if they don't pick back up with'in a week!

goodluck
    Scooter

9. its called an 'anbolism' its because an air bubble gets into it where you cut it ... you can cut them under water to try avoid this but its no real biggy they should pick themselves back up .... keep the blocks moist and damp only not soggy so the roots search for water not drown in it ... keep humidity 60 - 80 ... feed with just a bit of superthrive for first 7 days then 1/4 strength nutes once per week until roots come out of cubes ... then put cubes into cups of perlite so roots are not exposed then step up to 1/2 strength nutes ... when u want to use them dunk them into water to float away perlite leaving little block but lots of roots

10. I was able to get a slightly better picture off my phone so i thought id post it for you all so you could get a better idea of what im dealing with. 1 of them definitely looks dead, the others could possibly make it?

[​IMG]

11. cloning is easy & I get 100% survival rate every time, all you have to do to get fully rooted clones in 10 days is,
    -soak cubes in a solution of Vita-Max + Hygrozyme for 1 day prior,
    -cut clones, & use liquid rooting hormone,
    -replace solution with fresh solution every day for the first 4 days leaving about 1 cm in bottom of tray,
    -keep dome on for for whole process, lift daily & blow in a breath of fresh air
    -most importantly......you must keep the cubes @ a slightly higher temp then the temp of the air surrounding the canopy, to achieve this you should get a cardboard box about the size of the tray, lay it on its side & place a lamp inside as a heat source, then all you have to do is place your tray on top.

do these things & you too can have perfect clones that experience virtually no stress & take off as soon as transplanted!
    hope this helps,
    Peace!

12. I use rockwool cubes soaked in half strength solution, scalpel and dip in rooting gel. Insert into cube (may need to make hole bigger first). Place in heated propogator but keep an eye on the temperature. I use a timer running on for 15 minutes each hour. Keep the dome on but open the air vents as soon as roots appear. The art is in keeping them moist and not wet. My success rate is 90% and I lost them if they got too wet. Put clay pebbles in the bottom of the propogator as it allows air to circulate. I mist the roots/cube and not the leaves. Also take cuttings from the lower part of the mother rather than the top (stronger genes?). Trim the tap leaves as stated above and keep them under weak light for the first few days. I got no wilt at all on my last few batches.

13. what is a heated propagator?
    sounds like the same thing as what I just described....no?

14. you are properly soaking those cubes before you put your cutting in arent you?

15. no i havent been. the cubes were somewhat moist before i put the cuttings in, but that wasnt my doing. after all of the cuttings were put in i misted all of the cubes, but definitely no soaking.

16. items you need : a cup of water, cloneing gel, razor and sisors, rockwool cubes and tray .

put each one of the cubes in the prep tray soak cubes with ph water of 5.0 or 5.5

cut clone at about 45 angle and cut off each of the tips off each leaf (about 1/4 of the leaf).

dip stem in a cup of water for about 10 sec

dip in to cloning gel make sure the stem is covered

place into rockwool

spray dome keep covered for 7 days open dome at least once a day

17. yeah i also agree that cutting with less foliage to support might stand a better chance... plus what rooting material are you using?

I also usually try and stick to the liquid rooting hormone as i've had pretty bad luck with RooTone and certain other rooting substances.... maybe it makes a diff maybe it doesnt MAYBEE bad luck sometimes strikes even the well planned out clonings

i mean, lets look at how The 6th Day, and Judge Dredd turned out

maybe cloning is an awful idea, completely against the rules of nature and all that is good :p

haha well i guess cloning's ok in MJ's case

18. cloning is easy & I get 100% survival rate every time, all you have to do to get fully rooted clones in 10 days is,
    -soak cubes in a solution of Vita-Max + Hygrozyme for 1 day prior,

-cut clones, & use liquid rooting hormone,
    -replace solution with fresh solution every day for the first 4 days leaving about 1 cm in bottom of tray,
    -keep dome on for for whole process, lift daily & blow in a breath of fresh air
    -most importantly......you must keep the cubes @ a slightly higher temp then the temp of the air surrounding the canopy, to achieve this you should get a cardboard box about the size of the tray, lay it on its side & place a lamp inside as a heat source, then all you have to do is place your tray on top.

do these things & you too can have perfect clones that experience virtually no stress & take off as soon as transplanted!

19. man you have to soak the cubes ... hygrozyme is excellent stuff who ever mentioned that .... ph the mix your soaking them in at ph 5 cuz the blocks are about 7 for half an hour.... then grab each block individually and sort of flick the excess moisture out of them so they are not still soggy before you put your slips into them ... you should be able to shake the blocks around n no water drips out (or there too wet) ... every bit of the stem that goes into the cube has to have propergation gel on it ... n they should go in about 2/3 of the way... 27o C is perfect for the heat mat whatever that is in F n then once roots pop out of cubes bring down to 22oC (whatever that is in F)

20. I just use dirt, but those cubes look too dry. Also, when you take your cutting, make sure that there are 2-3 growing nodes in the dirt (cube). That is more important than a bunch of leaves above the ground. The cutting will need a couple of leaves to sustain it while the roots develop, but the business end that you're concerned about at this point is underground.