why do grades matter so much if you still pass a class and get credits?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Tastytrichomes, Jun 26, 2013.

1. #1 Tastytrichomes, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
    ive gotten 80%+ in every uni course i've taken so far, each was 3-4 credits

why do good grades matter if the goal is to pass each course and therefore receive your credits?

2. Grades matter because some jobs will ask for your college transcripts, which will show them your grades. They are much more likely to hire someone who got A's and B's than someone who got C's and D's

Definitely not all, you can still make 20+ dollars an hour without a diploma...

4. Grades show your future employers if you are willing to work!

5. #5 Tastytrichomes, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013

laughing so hard at how i did not realize this. momentarily i was under the impression that the only thing which mattered was getting your degree. i completely forgot about the existence of my transcripts...

way too fucking high

thanks everyone (even though its common sense)

6. Grades only matter if you have a proffesion in mind that requires a college degree. I never cared for college myself, but hey, we do need doctors and scientists so I say thank you to the people that got A's in school lol

7. #7 *guest, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

Hell you could still become a millionaire without a diploma, it's just a lot harder most of the time. ;)

8. Honestly you are onto a hint of the truth.

90% of jobs will never request your transcript.  None of my jobs ever have.  Usually the rest of your resume will tell them enough about you.

However, if your grades are always top-notch you will get other achievements that you can put on your resume, such as Dean's List and all that jazz.

9. college, universities, sports, different programs and jobs been like this forever OP, but it sounds like you're just going to do your own thing anyways when you get out of school.

10. Don't pull numbers out of your ass. 

11. Grades don't matter, that's why I dropped out and got a job................. o_O

12. Don't tell me what to do :p

I could say 100% because that has been my experience.  Nobody has ever cared about my transcript.  But that leaves no wiggle room so I said 90.  Deal with it. :)

13. For the most part you need good grades so that you can "reach the next level", or in other words gain access to the next course. I know doctors that have graduated with 50's and I know doctors who graduated with honours. For the most part grades just allow you to progress through "the system". 

14. #14 lonew0lf420, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
    yup...they're pretty much reflective of work effort not capability. Prestigious future employers are concerned with hiring the statistically top students because they have proven that they are willing to work hard to produce the best results. 

15. tasty...u r totally toasted or were when u posted this

16. Someone has a hair up theirs.

17. #17 Tastytrichomes, Jun 28, 2013

lmao yeah

while i agree i wouldn't say it's as high as 90%, and yeah you definitely want some good shit to put on your resume

i was just high as fuck when i posted this and buggin out about a class i fucked up on some assignments for, didn't wanna kill my GPA. then i was thinking, "wait why do grades even matter? i'm getting credits" completely forgetting about the existence of my records

Because it shows initiative. It shows the kind of effort and work you are willing to put forth in order to be successful.
    Employers don't want employees who are going to half-ass everything, just to get by. They want people who are going to excel and over-achieve.

At the end of the day, there are many things that are taken into account when it comes to GPA. My brother got a mechanical engineering degree from a highly accredited university. His GPA wasn't the greatest, but this particular school has one of the hardest programs in the country.

I graduated with a 3.4 GPA from a state college with a degree in English...

Also, extracuriculars are taken into a lot of account when it comes to entering the professional world.

I guess  it matters what your goals are for the future. 

19. Grades show that you were probably a kiss ass and companies like that. 

20. #20 squidrick420, Jun 28, 2013
    At least in college I have learned that my grades are earning me privileges. I am an honors student and I keep a solid A average with the occasional B. Now this is at a community college and I plan to transfer to a 4 year; well when you are in the top 5% out of 20,000+ students scholarships start to come in out of nowhere.