Why do Australians idolize criminals?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by emph_Lemmi, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Like one of our most iconic and historical tales is of ned kelly who robbed and killed every motherfker till he got hung. Next on the list would be chopper reid, but my question is why do us aussies as nation love criminals?

I just don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 sherman, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
    The stereotypical answer is that Australia was originally founded as a British penal colony and that it's because Australians are all descendants of criminals.

A better answer I think is that this isn't unique to Australia. Some of the most famous people in the world are criminals, e.g. Pablo Escobar, Al Capone, The Pope, etc.

• Like Like x 4
    zing! Pope burn!

4. Because criminals are awesome and do ballsy things that most people wouldn't do so they get jealous

5. criminals smoke weed

6. #7 Grow2dab., Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013

Might want to do a bit more research on that mate.

"The pope"

I like how you just slipped it in at the end haha

• Like Like x 1
  7. I don't mean this in an offensive way, but it's kinda obvious: Australia was a prison colony, the initial residents were criminals - since stealing corn to feed your family was a crime during the great Irish famine etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hqy8n3BcqA

I actually think Australians are way more civilized than Europeans nowdays (and I live in Europe). That said, Australians really need to keep their government in check and start voting for Assange's party (if that's still a thing).

8. Just my opinion but from what I've heard ned Kelly was a criminal but he had honour and respect, by robbing banks and the well off and leaving the poorer members of society alone. A bit like the kray twins in England people look up to them and idolise them as yes they were gangsters but they had honour and respect were it was due.

• Like Like x 1
  9. a better question is why is everyone in australia a structural engineer?

10. . Im not and don't know any. I always want to be the bad guy in the movies or criminal ha

11. #12 Grow2dab., Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013

Not 100% sure about Assange but you're right. Our laid back nature allows our government to do pretty much anything it wants and if it's wrong we don't even complain or ask why, we just put with it till we can vote them out and start the whole process again lol.

Don't get me wrong though, at least our government is not murdering people in the streets. But that's another topic.

Cause all we do is build buildings haha

12. We do have hungry jacks as opposed to "Burger King".