Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

why do Americans??

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by sidious, Jun 28, 2003.

1. yupp....

2. I think it should be dd/mm/yyyy. The day comes frist then the month then the year.. Yhat makes more sence to me than m/d/y/!

3. ok, i don't mean this to sound like.... "hey he's picking on us...coz i anit".....but when we created the launguge i guess we expected it to be carried across the barriers without too much bother........ie the launguage "English".........i guess what i mean is we spell the letters and then in America it changed.....i.e. tonight, is spelled tonite.....why?......just been that way?.................hence i guess what i mean is, if it was allways meant to be, day/ month /and year then how did it change?........was it due to someone getting it wrong at arrival of all the Scottish and Irish pilgrams?........or was it down to the old..."chinese whisper"?..............i.e. telling someone about something and then by the time the sixth person hears about it, it has changed!!??...............why should a flawless language be changed??.........was it done intentionally, to show that they were in fact diffrent or was it all a mistake???.......just wondering.....i think of weird shit like this when i'm stoned....lol.........Peace out.........Sid

4. Not stoned enough?

If I WAS stoned it prolly woulda been a lot longer, haha!

Peace

5. I would say that some of the people that came over as pilgrams always wrote it wrong............that is why it was cahnged no one knew the person was doing it wrong!!! lol

6. you know, bud head, i bet that is EXACTLY what happened...have you read some of the letters and journal entries from way back then...SCARY :eek:

7. I have seen some of the stuff that (supposed) to have come from back in that time. it's hard enought o tell what the scribble was back then!

We may never know!

8. maybe the most logical way is year / month / day, in which case the american way is slightly more logical than the english way.

but everyone knows the year, so push it back, and whaddyaget?

9. no, i'd say that way is the most illogical, that way people wouldn't know if 03 is the year, or the month or the day!......Peace out........Sis

10. I say we screw with everybody and institute the metric calendar!

Peace

11. Sid the answer is very obvious if you just look hard enough at the history.

This country was set up as a brityish colony 400 years ago. Everything ran fine in the colonies to a mixed British/Colonial system for a couple hundred years. Then a little war broke out, called the French/Indian War (or that's what we call it in the USA). Most of this war was fought all over the globe and especially in the New World, but very little in the Eurpean continent. The gist of the war was two superpowers fighting to stifle each others global colonial goals. After the end of the war, the British Parliament and Royalty decided that since the war was fought for the colonies, that the colonies should bear the brunt of paying for the war. The colonies here in the US had pretty much been left alone to rule as they pleased, but balked at the new taxation system and the new rules imposed by England. Hence the American Rebellion and our eventual nationalization of the USA.

(There you go, getting BPP's brief history lesson)

As with any newly established nation, the nation builders wanted to institute their own ssytem of governance and rules. Being all descendants of the stubborn Irish, Scot, and English forebears, we tweaked everything just a little to be similiar, but yet distinctly our own. The postal system, driving on the right side of the road,the date question you had, etc. etc. The USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, etc. we all come from the same place but we all insisted to change thiongs just a little to establish our own identity.

12. you know bbp, that's the most reasonable explanation i think i've had so far, so i'll go with that .....lol.......i thought that it was just to say....."hey we may speak the language, but we're a little bit diffrent"......and hell that's just fine in my book......just wanted to know....that's all........tnx everyone for your input...........Peace out..........Sid

13. Check this out. I was conversating with my canadien acquantaince several years ago, and we mentioned something that he had not seen for a while. He said, "Wow, I haven't seen one of those since Grade 8." Then I said, "did you just say grade 8?" He did. In America, most everyone on the west side of the mississippi would say 8th grade. It just so happens in canada the like to say grade 8. I don't think canada reverses the date order, but it would be interesting to find out, since they say 8th grade backwards. Anyways...
    Word.

-viperware-

14. Well you're welcome, Anytime you need a question answered, any question on any topic, give me a call. I could probably start my own forum called "Dear BPP" and answer everyones problems with life. :D

15. ya i am so stoned that i can never tell. i forgot what this post was aobut so i had to go back.

16. The millitary also uses Day/Month/Year VS. Month/Day/Year because you can have upto 31 days but only 12 months... I guess... it really is less confusing than the month/day/year thing.... JMO

17. you got it in one, it confuses me sometimes, like when say for example someone types a date like 07/08/03, if i don't know they're american then i take it that means the 7th of August, but in America, it would be the 8th of july, and i'd be a month early....lol..........i take it the military use it the way we do, as do most other countries, to avoid problems they may run into during war, or exercises...........Peace out.......Sid

18. It's just the american way----lol

if you want to talk about (why is that)then
    lets talk about -SLANG WORDS

I bet the list will go on and on.lol

19. why does it even matter?

20. it's just when my American friends type down a date, and i'm high, it confuses the hell out of me, and sometimes i have to think, when someone i don't know posts, "Are they american or not?", to be able to get the date right.......that's all............Peace out........Sid