Why Do A Lot of Writers & Musicians Smoke Cigarettes?

Discussion in 'General' started by PostPunk420, May 1, 2008.

1. TS didn't ask why writers/musicians started smoking.

2. because there paid to by big tabacco companys

3. Great juxtaposition of opposite-tone phrases to spawn humor. I larf at your wit.

4. Still though, the drug has its positve effects. Everyone is acting like they just smoke to become addicted and keep smoking. The reasons why the started is probably the reason why they keep smoking.

Everyone is making it seem like these dudes write music and smoke cigarettes because they are addicted. If they were not addicted, they would probably keep smoking.

5. exquized sentence structure!

6. This is the only answer you need.

7. I'm Trippen

crazy post!
    good shit...

above my level:cool::smoking:

8. cuz lower/middle-class life sucks.

and thats where most artists start.

9. My GF claims that smoking cigarettes makes sex better. Is that true?

10. People like to smoke after having sex.

11. So, yes, cigarettes do add stress.

Stress itself can be "good" in a twisted sense for artists. Keep them on edge.

Personally, no matter what outside thing is adding to the stress, I can always numb it at the time of my choosing, with a cigarette. The general added stress, which I find none of being that I have as many cigarettes as I want at any time, and have stabilized the amount I smoke, I will take, in order to enjoy the relief of a cig, whenever I should choose to light one.

But thats just me.

Also, as I said before... it looks cool.

12. It stands to reason that in order to become addicted on a substance, one must first use it eh? I know that the reason people start smoking cigs is obviously not because they are addicted.

I started smoking in college to help me focus during late night coffee and cram sessions. This gradually spilled over into the daytime. I'm certainly not a pack a day smoker by any means, but I'm addicted. Yeah it still helps me focus, takes the edge off, etc.. but ultimately the reason why I (and the overwhelming majority of smokers) smoke is because we're addicted.

13. musicians and artists smoke cigarettes is a generalization. But regardless, i guess it probably became a generalization because most artists/musicians experiment with weed and other drugs to expand the mind, remove mental constraints, and increase creativity; so naturally they would be more open-minded, and more likely, to start smokin bogues.

14. I'm not sure its so clean cut. I feel my addiction to smoking is more psychological than a physical need. I don't smoke for extended periods of time, sometimes several days at a time, but still smoke some of the other time, for example when I'm out and about, at the pub, occasionally when I'm having a smoke of green, and occasionally at work.

15. well, of course there are psychological as well as physical addictions.

I know a small group of people are whats known as "social smokers", but that's such a small percentage of the overall group

16. Aka the underage kids on YouTube smoking shisha out of hookahs that I have no idea how they were able to afford.

17. Well yes. But what I'm trying to say (albeit badly) is that if someone were to ask me if I was addicted to smoking I'd say "yes" but only because my idea/definition of addiction under these circumstance differs to their definition of addiction.

(Thats the most sense I can muster I'm afraid, been up for.. 26 hours now, my grammar is disappearing fast)

18. It's all relative and there are certain levels of addiction as well. :) it's all good man, i know what you're saying.

I'm coming up on 27 hrs awake myself, and coffee and cigs are the only thing keeping me going at this point

19. Myself and most of the musicians I play with do not smoke cigarettes so this statement is not true for me.

20. I'm a writer and I smoke cigs...I guess it makes sense

A cigarette is a stress reliever...it relaxes me and clears my thoughts. Although a funny thing is how I don't ever feel like I HAVE to smoke a square.