Why conspiracy theories are usually wrong

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Zylark, Apr 13, 2007.

1. This is just a demonstration based upon a known example where we know the entire back-story. Yes, the Star Wars saga.

The article is written as an analogue to the 9/11 conspiracy theories. As if the writer was someone living in the Galaxy far far away, and not entirely informed (ie ignorant) of the actual facts.

Now, I'll give the link, but be warned, I got quite the few pop-ups (using Firefox even) when I opened it. You might too. So I've quoted it (almost to entirety, with one small edit of my own, for umm, immersiveness..) here.

:D

Original article and comments found here.

(and before someone asks "WTF do this have to do with S&P????? It's a practical, satirical but still, example of argument from ignorance. It shows in a well known settings why jumping to conclusions can lead you way off target.)

2. After reading this article, I have come to a conclusion:

The destruction of the first Death-Star was a false-flag operation via the Imperial Forces.

It's so obvious!

3. I'unno, them proton missile's are pretty hardcore...

4. omg, how could I have been so blind?!!!

but remember, just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

5. Sorry for the bump, but this OP is garbage.

It's a movie vs. a real life situation.

The movie was spelled out for us. Written. Scripted. Filmed. And shown to us.

We know the destruction of the Death Star was result of Vader's poor ventilation system ( because that's how this fictitious work was written )

When it comes to tha realz world, however, we do not know the true events and motives that led up to the attacks, and thus, the OP is a completely irrelevant, because the events that actually transpired were not shown to us on the silver screen.

Thank you for your time.

6. Well, it's pretty fuckin simple really...

THE FORCE, that's how.

sheesh