why cigarettes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bongin Shaman, Sep 9, 2010.

1. so many people I know and see smoke them, I always see cig butts everywhere I go, I see at least 5 people a day smoking them, but why?

I know they're addicting, but they just taste so fucking horrible.

I remember one time me and a couple people were hotboxing my car, when we were done one of them lit up a cig and for some reason, i think it was because we were really stoned, my and my friend who dont smoke em decided to try a hit.

completely ruined my high, made my lungs feel like shit, and left a horrid taste in my mouth, idk what kind of cig it was but I only took 1 hit, and it left my mouth with an intense flavor of burnt styrofoam and chemicals.

worse decision I've ever made, I can't believe people smoke this shit, I couldnt stand 1 fuckin hit, and people smoke a pack a day... wtf...

I know I'm sounding like a douchebag to those of you who smoke them, I dont mean to be, but I'm just confused as to why anyone would let that toxic smoke into their lungs and enjoy it? how?!?!?

it was so horrible lol...

2. Good question! I'm actually a smoker myself, so I'm in a position to tell you. At first, I started smoking menthols while I was partying with molly, then it moved on to occasionally when I was drunk. The reasons; menthols taste delicious and cool, especially when you're fucked up.

Then, started moving on to an occasional cig at work on break, became a social thing, I stopped smoking menthols and moved to Marlboro 27s. At this point I was smoking a pack every 10 days or so. I came to enjoy the taste of tobacco, as well as enjoy the slight buzz I get from it.

I've been smoking for about a year and half, and just realized that I don't really get a buzz from it any more, nor do I enjoy the taste. I am now a habitual smoker (when others do, I feel the need), and have decided that I don't enjoy them, and thus shall quit.

You now have the entire story, of how a smoker starts, the transitions that occur, and the ideas behind quitting, at least from my perspective. I'm 21, some college education. My goal is to quit by December, when I'm moving to a new town to start school again.

3. i started smoking cigs when i started smoking weed, and i didnt mind the taste of them. i would say i got sort of addicted to them, but I quit without much trouble.. now I smoke semi-regularly, when I'm high or drunk

but i guess that doesn't answer your question

4. Actually, I think it depends on the person. I've been smoking since the ripe, tender age of 15 (which is a HORRIBLE FUCKING IDEA. By the way.) and I'm 27 now, but I still love everything about cigarettes.

I've never really considered myself addicted, I smoke maybe a pack every 5 or so days, and have done so since I could legally buy the damn things. Growing up, I was one of the few kids who actually smoked because they enjoyed it, and often friends would wanna try a cig to see what it was all about, and nearly all of them reacted the same way you did OP.

I guess I was just "lucky" enough to like smoking them. :confused_2:

5. I smoked for a really long time, It was a habit that went hand in hand with other another drug habit. Once I stopped using drugs (weed is not a drug.... or a dangerous one anyway) I just stopped smokeing. Now when I smoke I feel sickly and weak, and need to lye down.

6. its definately a acquired taste. a taste people definately shouldnt acquire though..

7. I had the same view in HS. I smoked a few and wondered why the hell people get into this. Then in college I was simply surrounded by it and eventually fell into it. I even remember the exact moment I knew I was addicted

8. I guess I didn't really get the whole cig experience since I only took one hit, thats what my friend kept saying, that it got better the more you smoke, but idk i cant imagine myself smoking an entire one, that one hit fucked me up in a bad way.

9. It's like rap music, video games, and pegging, some people are just into it

10. god damn i wish i had a bowl of chronic to smoke right now lol

11. Because some people are dumbasses. Back in the day they didn't know all the risks. Today with what we know there is no excuse for starting up if one isn't already a smoker.

12. Not to mention the price these days! That alone should make you wanna quit.

13. Eh, people have every right to be dumbasses and commit slow suicide.

14. I dont think most people are dumbasses. Just like how some get into weed, despite what they may have heard (DARE) they do it anyway because of the social/peer pressure.

15. And that makes them what then if not dumbasses, sheep?

Hey don't get me wrong, I smoked cigs for quite a few years before I stopped being a dumbass about it :)

16. Pretty much. This is also coming from a sheep. Thats how I got into it.

A dumbass is someone who really goes out of their way to get into it. The idiot jr high kid who steals his mothers cigs, or pays a homeless man to get them so he can be the first kid in his class to smoke, making him the coolest kid in school.

17. People can live their lives how they want. I'm not going to be a downer to someone who smokes cigarettes if that's what they choose. Everyone does shit that can kill you. Life is fragile and worrying so much about getting cancer is no way to live.

18. Oh I don't hate anyone for it, and I don't call anyone in particular a dumbass for it either. Like I said *I* was a dumbass about it too :) It's a collective term.

19. I'm a pack a day smoker and I'm gonna go ahead and agree with OSG.

I knew they were terrible and I knew that I would get addicted.

So why did I start smoking them? I don't remember, but I wish I didn't.

20. Quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done. Terribly addictive. I made my then fiance/now wife make me promise to her that I would quit. I don't break promises, so that clinched it.