Why can`t America go metric

Discussion in 'General' started by -, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Hope this helps you all:

1 centimetre (cm) = 10 mm = 0.3937 in
    1 metre (m) = 100 cm = 1.0936 yd
    1 kilometre (km) = 1000 m = 0.6214 mile

1 inch (in) = 2.54 cm
    1 yard (yd) = 36 in = 0.9144 m
    1 mile = 1760 yd = 1.6093 km

1 gram (g) = 1000 mg = 0.0353 oz
    1 kilogram (kg) = 1000 g = 2.2046 lb
    1 tonne (t) = 1000 kg = 0.9842 ton

1 ounce (oz) = 437.5 grains = 28.35 g
    1 pound (lb) = 16 oz = 0.4536 kg
    1 ton = 20 cwt = 1.016 t

2. I would have once thought so as well.... but then again:

I hated when car engines' sizes started to be given in liters. I thought I'd never get used to it.

Low and behold, here I am... used to it!

Now I like to convert my old engines' sized over to metric so people will look at me funny.

(Never heard of a '75 dodge 5.1L engine? lol)

I kinda like our "standard" system (which, ironically, has the word "English" in the name of the system somewhere I believe). Some times simple is just no fun.

Plus it's kinda nice to see the same confusion on European people's faces when I say I'm 6'2" that I feel when I'm told it's 23 degrees C outside.

3. nothing will change or needs to

4. this "new american" system was started in England. Do some research.

5. I thought our standard system had something to do with England! (Gee... I"m not that senile yet)

And... I'll have you know, Nubbin... that you are correct...

I can not lick my elbow.

And I've never even tried before. (Of course, I've tried other body parts as well to no avail.)

6. everybody tries budburner...everybody

7. And you can find an amazing number of people who actually can accomplish the task.... and are willing to have such pictures of themselves put on the net.

8. arghh metric..

9. I would be awright with the imperical way of measuring if only a foot would be the length of my foot.

10. the us did try to change to the metric system 20-30 years ago, but because the majority of the united states is made up of people with an IQ equivalent of my shoe size, people couldn't understand a simple base10 system. sigh.

11. Actually thats completely wrong, and since the metric system takes no thinking whatsoever, us moron Americans still should have gotten by with it just fine...the truth is just as I said earlier...switching to a new measuring system in a country like America is one hell of a feat. Imagine how many computers, electronics, vehicles, military units, hell even the shuttles that explore space...EVERYTHING would have to change at once for it to work...its just not possible at this point in time.

12. Well jesus, (lol) that's a lot of reading. :eek:

But I still just have to disagree that we just "couldn't understand" a simple base 10 system. It's easier to understand than the Standard English system.

If we idiots can understand a harder system, then metric is a breeze for us.

We just don't wanna change.

We want to be dinstinctively American with our English system. lol

13. Yea man... why are yall wiggin out over this? You europeans can do your thing and we'll do our thing...and its all good.
    PS- A joint is a joint worldwide!

14. good question