Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why call it "OG" when it's not Ocean Grown?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by tstick, Jun 17, 2012.

1. My understanding is that the term "OG" stands for "Ocean Grown".

But every time I turn around, there's some new cut of OG Kush or OG something turning up everywhere. They all couldn't be Ocean Grown -especially when grown in Colorado (for example) -or somewhere far away from any ocean.

And the reason (supposedly) that OG cultivars are superior is because the salt in the humid ocean-air irritates/stimulates the plants to produce more resin as a protective measure against the salt.

So is the term "OG" "Ocean Grown" or something else?

2. Original Gangsta.

3. I have never heard OG referred to as ocean grown. Im confused...

4. I heard the same thing ocean grown and ocean greeb

5. The news "cuts" or whatever are probably just crosses with OG kush genetics.

blueberry x og kush would most likely be referred to as 'OG Blueberry' or blueberry OG

or it could be a seed company's version of OG kush

6. originally grown

7. OG Kush is just a name - there's no significance behind it. It's the same strain regardless of where it's grown.

8. I also remember reading about this "Ocean Grown" thing at some point, probably somewhere here in the city, but I am not into cultivation at all...so I haven't the slightest clue.

9. It's Ocean-side Grown. Not Ocean Grown.

The original genetics of the plant were named that because of the location of the grow.(Don't cite me on this, I could be wrong this is just what I heard from a worker at a local dispensary) For it to be true OG now, it doesn't have to be grown by the ocean because that strain was only named it for being grown by the fucking ocean. Nothing real special.

10. It's from the KGB website, it has a story

"There is also another well known OG lineage that was developed in Northern California, and this story went something like this.. A guy - we'll call him KushDawg for the sake of this story - living somewhere on the Northern California Pacific Coast was growing the original cut from San Fernando Valley, the birthplace of most herb carrying the "OG" label. One evening, KushDawg was hanging out at a local bar when another chap also sitting at the bar offered him a bowl of some very special weed. Intrigued, KushDawg accepted the offer. Once the chap opened the bag and the dank, pungent OG aroma lifted into the air, KushDawg knew immediately, unbeknownst to the chap, that this was in fact his own herb. As they toked the glorious herb, the chap rendered his own opinion as to the origin of the herb, saying that it was so great because it was "Mountain Grown." KushDawg corrected the chap, "Naw man, this stuff is 'Ocean Grown,'" meaning that the herb was actually grown indoors on the Pacific Coast."

that's proly where he got it, but yes it's actually Original Gangst(a)/(er).

11. Okay, well, I heard that OG cuts were superior BECAUSE of the climatic growing conditions and that the location was responsible for extra resin production in otherwise normal plants because the salty air triggered the plants to make more. So, you knew when you were getting Ocean-(side) Grown Kush because they were stickier and ickier than the typical cuts.

Nothing to that, then?

12. I know growers the ocean grown thing is correct it's just dealers keep throwing the word around like everything is og kush for more money I can't remember where I read this but back in the day if someone caught you lying about whether or not your kush was actually ocean grown you could get your ass kicked

13. OG does not actually translate to Original Gangsta. The OG itself actually stands for either Original Genetics or Ocean Grown.

14. It doesn't matter if it's ocean grown or not, all it refers to are the genetics

15. pretty sure its just original gansta or original grown. salt wouldn't make them trigger more resin production. resin is made as a by product of metabolism. so only the sun can make her produce more resin. if any effects at all, the "salt wind" probably stiffens stalk density/thickness. other than that, flavor could be affected like the maui and tropical island weeds used to be sought after for the flavor the ocean winds could produce.

16. thats what i say

17. Ocean grown because of the location it was originally grown, doesn't need to be grown by an ocean to be OG Kush, its just the genetics.

18. thought is stood for Ogre Grub, who's telling the truth here?

19. If you have to question it, your looking to deep into it... just smoke and respect what it does.