Why buy pricey Mylar???

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by h4rk4t, Oct 15, 2008.

1. ^^^your totally right..space blankets are an awesome alternative i have used successfully as a substitute to the more expensive mylar...right on bro

2. Man, what a fucked up mess this thread has become. I do not have fancy graphs copied from other forums or grow sites, I do not have technical data, and I do not have fancy grow equipment. What I do have is over 25 yrs of experience minus a brief all expenses paid vacation on the DEA.

I have grown w/ banks of T-12 flouros, T-5 HO flouros, and HID's. Honestly great yields can be aquired from any of these if you know what the fuck you are doing. I have no experience w/ CFL's so I cannot comment on that.

I had a 4 ft X 2.75 ft room using a bank of 12 T-12 flouros which I placed clones in and yielded 3-5 oz's every 90-100 days. I used flat white paint.

I had a 4 ft X 2 ft room w/ an 8 tube T-5 HO flouro hood which yielded me just over 3 oz's every 90-100 days. Again I used flat white paint.

I presently use a 3.75 ft W X 2 ft D X 5 ft H cabnet I trash picked w/ 4 T-12 Flouro in the corners and a 400 W HPS centered, this is my second grow in this cabnet, the first grow resulted in about 3 oz's off 4 clones using Mylar, I did not like how it reflected the light, it did not appear to be an even glow which I like. I have a NL #2X5 going and an SMG about 3 wks into flowering and the results appear to nice; will let you know the results in about 6-8 more weeks by then I should have a good estimate of my yield.

You know, there are alot of kids on here, and yes some have smart mouths, some think they are pro growers b/c they grew some plants that actually formed buds. But as adults, or "grown ass men" as it was put I believe, we have to suck it up and ignore the arrogance and ignorance of some people. We are adults and if put into a situation like this on the streets, it would result in a brawl which is not good for anyone involved. Arguing ruins a good thread, damages the point and educational value of the thread, and ends up teaching everyone nothing.

Mr MJ and chemicalcomfort if you guys wanted to have a cyber slug fest, you should have kept it in PM's and let inexerienced and experienced alike share their thoughts and experiences. Rather than have a good reference thread on reflectants for a grow room, we have some childish argument among 2 people who are not mature enough to say; "hey, ok, I'm just gonna walk away from this and get back on point".

Just something to think about. There is nothing more upsetting to me, and I'm sure other members, than comming to a well thought out thread w/ a good subject and have a couple people going at it for no apparent reason.

It serves no purpose people, so I would greatly appreciate it if people kept personal beefs in PM's and not litter the forum w/ them.

less

3. < bought 3 emergency blankets yesterday. = $9.00usd
    still waiting on these muhfuckin seeds .. =/

4. how bout windshield reflectors for your car? i know the .99cents store carries those

5. #65 chemicalcomfort, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2008
    dude you're totally right. i realized that, only 20 minutes too late. having no bud on hand makes me cranky.

for what it's worth i'll take all the blame, but i did try to walk away and get this thread back on topic.

i should have known better than to bicker with a douche and spam the hell out of this thread.

again i'm sorry to everyone for being a jackass, all the spam, and turning a good thread into a bad one. just trying to be the bigger man.

i dunno man, i'd stick with emergency blankets if you're gonna go the cheap route.

6. kekeke. I got off scott free. thanks chemz. lol.

7. h4 has a bad shroom trip went berzerk he banned now :'(

someone hijack his accnt. and .... :confused_2:

8. #68 lessismore, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2008

Nothing like still playing the village idiot. At least chemicalcomfort was man enough to step up and take responsibility.

Chemicalcomfort we all understand, or most of us. I personally take growing very serious, especially when we speak of new innovative ways to do it, inexpensive ways to improve a grow area, and especially strains & breeding. I personally am only here for the grow section so I may share experiences, assist beginners, and learn from others.

Anyway, I thought some pics of my present grow, using white trash bags as a reflectant, and a mix of T-12 Flouros and a 400W HPS. Fans are common household fans purchased at rummage sales and thrift shops. I have just under $200 in this cabnet(not including soil and nutes and such) and it has already given me just over 3 oz's of bud. These pics are 43 days from seed, clones are in a seperate cab vegging. Enjoy.

The 2 pics on the left are NL #2X5 and the 2 on the right are SMG(IBL Columbian)

Attached Files:

9. less, that NL lookin bangin b!

10. I'm sure the bit about dashboard reflectors was sarcasm... at least I hope so.

And here you are, almost 2 days later, after I've totally left this thread to die... you're still here, making little smartassed comments, calling me names, trying your best to piss me off and start shit back up. Way to "be the bigger man." Blaming your behavior on not having weed is pretty disgusting.

Only "big men" threaten to rat out their fellow growers, I guess... you're a pretty sad excuse for a person. Do me a favor... keep it up. I've noticed people in other threads giving their opinion of your performance in this one... you might wanna chill out while you're ahead.

As for what you had to say, lessismore:

You're right. I should have ignored these two much earlier. By the way, nice looking plants. I was going to post a few pictures as well for a side by side comparison of white plastic vs. mylar ...but the whole threat to snitch me out to the fucking cops has kinda ruined any thoughts I had of participating on this site anymore... at least on that level. Kinda justifies my decision to remove my gallery and pics I had up... so even if I decide to stick around grasscity, which isn't likely - I wouldn't post anymore pictures or do any grow journals here... not with this most recent episode.

I'm sure you know better than most how seriously a threat against someone's freedom should be taken... even if the person making the threat has no means to back it up, it's still a pretty sickening thing to threaten.

I apologize to anyone who had to witness this bullshit... be careful who you interact with on this site.

11. be careful who you interact with on this site..............

12. Who the hell is Pricey Mylar?

13. you're joking right?

14. Just my two cents worth....I am running an outdoor grow box and lined the inside with 1/4" thick foam insulation instead of mylar or white paint. It comes in 4X8 sheets like plywood, and both sides are bright white. Not only is it easy to install (staple gun or glue it in) it helps keep my interior temperature perfect now that the weather is turning colder. Runs about $14 a sheet at Home Depot ot Lowe's.

15. I can tell y'all that I have been in a a fair number of 5000w+ grow opps ..... and I've never seen Mylar in any of them .... flat white Killz has been the standard.

16. I ALWAYS get that. I need something other than indica!

17. Sorry, just the British sense of humour.....;)

18. Actually I have used that on a grow I guess you caould say indoors, it was one of those steel sheds. That foam not only was cheap, and insulated the shed, it also blocked out any light from showing through the shed. Nice input.

I have done some big indoor and outdoor grows. One of the things about big indoor ops is the size of the room. One was in a 10ft X 12ft room, a couple gallons of Killz vs 120 sq ft of mylar, you guys can do the math, but the kills is far more cost effective and much easier to apply.

I'm happy to see this thrtersad back on track. Nobody here is trying to stop people from using Mylar, we just do not want people to think they HAVE to use it.If you read this thread there are some great products suggested that are far more cost effective and work just fine.

less

19. Had me interested for the 1st page but come on guys,GET A FUCKING LIFE,I have some great experience with Mylar in a 12x12 room and a 1K but .....well.....you know....im out,thanx for wasting our time boys!!:rolleyes:

20. #80 lessismore, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2008
    Bad mood, my apologies to ocitown.

less