Why buy pricey Mylar???

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by h4rk4t, Oct 15, 2008.

1. #21 Mr. MJ, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
    "actually Mr. MJ there are a few materials that do compare to mylar, if not better and go a much further way. one of these products is a reflective tin colored roofing material. it reflects and air seals your room. "

Compare? Sure...
    Better? I don't think so...
    If so, no one's figured out what it is yet. By the way, why would you ever want to air-seal a grow room? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Also when you say flat white, or reflective white paint can't "touch" mylar, that is somewhat correct, but a bit of an over statement.

FLAT WHITE -- 90-93 % REFLECTIVE
    MYLAR -- 94%-98% reflective

SO YES..IT IS MORE REFLECTIVE. by a lot? not really

Yeah, I've seen the numbers, that's nice and all... but I'm speaking from pure experience. I've grown with white paint and panda plastic - they can't hold mylar's nuts for reflection bro. When you hang mylar, the first thing you notice is how much more light the plant starts to get - especially to the lower growth... There's simply no comparison IMO.

My plants seem to grow 2x as fast since I switched from panda plastic to mylar.

also mylar can EASILY create "hot spots" and cause severe burn marks on plants (can act like a magnifying glass)

Never heard of a competent grower having this problem, so I can't say I agree. Any dumbass can fuck something up - doesn't make it the products fault.

also mylar is a pain to hang (in most grow areas) and does not clean up well when water is spilled or spattered on it.

I guess this is all opinion. I guess I just don't see what's so hard about using some duct tape and a staple gun. I use regular white t-shirts to get fingerprints, dust etc. off my mylar and it seems to work just fine.

Also... maybe I'm just a tidy grower, but I don't have too many problems with splashing water all over my grow room walls.

Latex white paint is:
    --easy to put up/clean up (when it dries to a surface you don't want it on, just peal off!)
    --Mold resistant, fungus resistant, water resistant

Mylar is susceptible to mold and fungus?? That's a new one...

--No hot spots

... already been debated. If you know guys who are burning their plants with mylar, I'd suggest you start hanging out with more able-minded people. Hopefully, you're just quoting some shit you heard somewhere.... I don't even wanna think about how dumb someone would have to be to achieve mylar-burn.

--one gallon bucket of paint last MUCH longer than 2 rolls of Mylar (which costs the same price)

What kinda paint are you buying at $60-$100 per gallon?

so overall I find (my opinion) white latex Killz paint to be not only more cost effective, but time effective, back pain effective, overall a much better product.

Hey bro, if you're happy, I'm happy for you. Whatever works for the individual... I'm not saying white paint is bad, just saying IMO it can't compete with mylar in terms of real reflection... it may not absorb light like black plastic, but it doesn't truly reflect light either.

The grow room with the space blankets looks pretty cool though - I won't even front about that. For the record, I've noticed no heat increase since hanging mylar.

2. #22 chemicalcomfort, Oct 15, 2008
    you are wrong. are you using cfl's or what lol.

i could see it making a noticeable different in a small stealth box. otherwise no.

3. mylar reflects 95% of light initially(don't forget mylar is a survival blanket, insulats heat!)

flat white paint reflects 90%

while it's obvious that mylar does reflect better than flat white paint does initially, like other have said mylar is a huge pain to hang up, and it gets dirty fairly quickly and loses its shine, thus reducing its reflectivity and aesthetic appeal.

for 5% that will probably only make a different for the first couple weeks, i think i'll save 25$ and get a can of flat white paint:p

4. Nope... sorry, I'm not one of GC's infamous CFL growers... I only use HID's bro.

Have you ever even SEEN mylar? I can tell you've never seen it in use just by the ignorance of your statement...

Ohhhh, nevermind... you're obviously just trying to get your post count up... :D

5. I say black and white polymer or panda film is better than mylar. I hate the way mylar looks in grow rooms. White is just more professional and clean looking. Mylar can make "hot spots" bc it is almost like a mirror which is not good.

Sorry if any of this was tlaked about already i did not read any other posts but just wanted to express how i feel on mylar.

6. #26 chemicalcomfort, Oct 15, 2008

LOL. ya i have no idea what mylar looks like. GTFO and grow up. don't be a baby cry just because someone disagreed with you. show me your plants :rolleyes:.

can't believe i +repped you a second ago. oh and i could give a fuck less about my post count. stop acting like a child.

that's what i like to hear :)

7. why not mylar, spreads your light around in the room better then white.

8. to each his own.
    nice little debate going on here.

9. i wouldnt say spread, more like reflects the light to one area. Creating a mirror effect so light is in concentrated areas

10. #30 Mr. MJ, Oct 15, 2008

Didn't notice the +rep... I don't post here for the rep system, or other attention-whore accolades... sorry.

As for your post count, I really can't take anyone seriously who can rack up nearly 1,000 posts in just a couple months. Not trying to be a dick, but it's just kinda hard to see how someone can spend that much time posting if it's not intentionally to raise their post count.

We can agree to disagree about mylar, that's fine. But don't try to portray me as some kiddie grower... that's just childish. IMO, someone who says mylar would only effect a small stealth box grow - well, that person probably can't tell their elbow from their asshole, and almost certainly knows nothing about growing.

[edit]: If you want to see my plants, all you have to do is ask... don't call me out on some fake dare shit... and quit editing already... jesus! Everytime I answer you, your post has changed again.

[2nd edit:] Also, where are you guys getting these numbers?? Seems like some of you are just making shit up. Here's the only chart I could find, and the numbers on it aren't supporting this "White paint is 90% reflective..." stuff I keep hearing.

Attached Files:

11. that chart is incorrect because tin foil is in the 70% reflectivity range. Also Mr. MJ you seem to be getting a little excited about this debate. Also I did not mean a gallon size bucket for 60 bucks. Its a few gallons, i mis-typed. All im saying is mylar can create hot spots, its proven. it acts as a mirror. Mylar is great though don't get me wrong. I've used it for many many grows. I just now like the latex paint because with the hydro system I run, and im a "clean freak", some water inevitably gets on the floor. Also the point of a "closed growing environment", or "sealed room" is to keep bugs and infestation out. While it is not totally 100% sealed, the only spots that air gets in or out of the room is through the intake and exhaust, which in my room have many layers of filtration so nothing that is bad, (smells, bugs, unclean air, any pollutant's) gets into the room. every single crack and crevice is sealed off from the outside world. similar to a science lab.

12. Don't take this the wrong way, but i can see several reasons why someone may get so many posts in a few months - but why even pay attention to that? It's like being a hawk and just observing it like it's important 'oh no he got another post! and another! and another! ahhhh'.... some people don't have allot of time on their hands and some do, and some people are addicte to the forums and reading around and gaining/sharing knowledge. Thats what GC is about. Doesn't mean everyone who can get alot of posts fast is an attention whore - maybe they have a grow log going or are subscribed to a few grow logs so check up on them every day and leave input.

And he wasn't trying to portray you as a kiddie grower, you were just acting out kind of being very assuming and rude
    "Nope... sorry, I'm not one of GC's infamous CFL growers... I only use HID's bro.

Have you ever even SEEN mylar? I can tell you've never seen it in use just by the ignorance of your statement...

Ohhhh, nevermind... you're obviously just trying to get your post count up...

You only use HID's? Thats nice, I wish I had the money to buy a few HID's, but i only grow for personal amounts really or did at least when i use to - and these forums are moreso for medicinal personal growers, or the rare 2% that are medical growers who have a lab and business in a state where it's legal who let those with licenses purchase - not for those who just like to grow weed to make it a mainstream thing and produce heavy-set plants of indicas that have no connoisseur quality.

This thread was simply just to suggest that emergency blankets are neer pure mylar just very thin, and they don't reflect as much heat as mylar - it's bible paper thing... if anything it's absorbed as well and quickly gone... my little computer fans have taken care of that.

Also, HID's aren't nearly as sophisticated as a nice lineup of LED's - my LED lamps use very little electricity, and provide most important parts of the light spectrum to the plants. I like using little energy and not being a consumer - And it doesn't make me a cheap ass or poor hobo if i chose not to use mylar - I just like being efficient.

I'm not trying to be an ass here man, but you're really being the one to 'call out' people, how do you know he's never seen mylar? what ignorance in his post? i really don't understand....

2nd edit:] Also, where are you guys getting these numbers?? Seems like some of you are just making shit up. Here's the only chart I could find, and the numbers on it aren't supporting this "White paint is 90% reflective..." stuff I keep hearing.

Well there was a book published on marijuana... oh wait... couple dozen, and these numbers coming from people are the average of whats shown in the books - and they prob have read a few of these - and you can even torrent them and get 30 books for free if you're willing to read them all...it hurts your eyes if you're reading them all on a screen - amazon.com has used ones for very cheap - you say "here is the only chart i could find" if thats all the research info you have to validate what you say then i believe you haven't done much but the exact same thing but get numbers from a single source. Also, it's not just cannabis books that provide useful info on all this, it's chemistry/elements themselves and the study of energy and light, even physics books, i can recommend a few of these books if you would like, i have a 12'x12' bookshelf filled completely and would be more then proud to recomend a few.

I've used lab testing equipment from the college i go to to test reflectivity , i can assure you, it varries even among different brands of mylar that you would think was all the same. Some of them actually absorb the important parts of the light spectrum that you get from HPS/MH lights and just reflect back off only random little bits of good light, but it all varies, depending on the maker.

Please can we just end this big debate here because there isn't any big sources that are being provided or anything just back and forth conflict and i didn't realize this thread would get this cranky;)

peace

13. Fair enough on the mis-type.

As for debate, hey... I like debate. I didn't think I was getting excited though, I just had to respond to someone who decided that the personal route was the way to go. Happens sometimes...

Here's my point - my chart was taken from www.highgrade-seeds.com in a thread about this very subject... it's a sticky called "White Paint vs. Mylar" in the "Grow Room" subforum if you want to look it up... I couldn't find the source of the chart, so I downloaded it and posted it... but it's the only outside source of anything that's been posted here. Anyone can dismiss something and say, "that's wrong."

...but that doesn't mean you're correct, and that's all you guys are doing. I posted my evidence for my argument - All I asked is that you guys do the same... support your case with some outside information, rather than spouting off random quotes and figures and repeating eachother.

Tin isn't 70% reflective? Okay, support that claim... where are you getting your information? White paint is 90% reflective? Once again... all I'm asking you guys to do is support your claim. A buncha guys repeating eachother wouldn't pass the smell test in any real debate... so show me something from somewhere that supports what you guys are saying.

14. Mylar just looks bad. WHite polymer or some nice white paint paint (preferably latex) just plain looks better imo. WHo cars if mylar has a few percent more reflectivity big deal its not gonna give you another pound that you wouldnt have had. As for being on a budget do with what works.

15. #35 chemicalcomfort, Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008

when did GC become a debate team?

anyway. some external sources:
    http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1969
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/o...lective-materials-can-i-use-my-grow-room.html
    http://www.gardenscure.com/420/theories-speculation/101127-panda-plastic-v-mylar-2.html

one might say those aren't legitimate sources since they're about equivalent to this thread, but your graph you found doesn't mean shit either.

check out this graph i found!
    [​IMG]

apparently if you cover your walls with pudding, it reflects 100% of light! amazing! Surprisingly mylar only reflects 4% of light, now that's a shocker!

that is what your graph is worth MJ. any fool with MSPaint can make a graph. doesn't mean shit. I would rely on my fellow growers far before any POS graph I found. Because it's founded on experience and isn't just hearsay as you claim it to be.

oh shit half the posts in this thread are from you! stop trying to get your post count up so you can be cool like me. LOL. :D

16. Don't take this the wrong way, but i can see several reasons why someone may get so many posts in a few months - but why even pay attention to that? It's like being a hawk and just observing it like it's important 'oh no he got another post! and another! and another! ahhhh'....

Like I said - it's hard for me to relate. I'm grown, I have things to do and responsibilities. I don't have time to sit around posting all day. It's internet 101 man... some people think their post count makes them more valuable or something... dude struck me as one of those people. I have grow logs on other sites... and they do rack up posts very fast. Still, I think the most I can squeeze in over the course of a year is about 500... 800 posts in a couple months is ridiculous IMO, unless you're a major contributor or moderator.

I mean, what noob REALLY has that much to say?

And he wasn't trying to portray you as a kiddie grower, you were just acting out kind of being very assuming and rude
    "Nope... sorry, I'm not one of GC's infamous CFL growers... I only use HID's bro.

Ohhhh, nevermind... you're obviously just trying to get your post count up...

You only use HID's? Thats nice, I wish I had the money to buy a few HID's, but i only grow for personal amounts really or did at least when i use to - and these forums are moreso for medicinal personal growers, or the rare 2% that are medical growers who have a lab and business in a state where it's legal who let those with licenses purchase - not for those who just like to grow weed to make it a mainstream thing and produce heavy-set plants of indicas that have no connoisseur quality.

You're doing the same thing you accused me of... being assuming and rude. I'm a commercial grower? How'd you come to that conclusion... because I have HID lights? That's pretty whacked out logic, don't you think? I don't sell weed. I grow for me and my wife's personal stash, and that's it...

Don't get mad because I actually have income coming into my home, and can afford to do things properly like an adult. If you wanna waste your time "growing" with useless household lightbulbs, that's fine... I'm a pretty chronic smoker and supporting 2 habits, so I like some weight in my stash... feel free to stop hatin' anytime.

Maybe if you had any dedication to what you're doing, you could save a couple hundred bucks like most people, and buy some decent lights. You can sit here all day, but you can't get up and go to work for a living to support your habit?

Not my fault...

...and it's not my fault GC noobs are known for subpar, ridiculous, and sometimes bizarre growing methods... personally, I blame High Times and these stupid "books" that make you kids think you can grow pounds of weed in an aerogarden, or a tomato soup can with an 8 watt flourescent lightbulb.

...anyone who thinks an indica cannot be connoisseur quality bud isn't worth responding to... Keep reading your "books" man, you obviously know pretty much less-than-nothing about good bud. Some of the best "connoisseur bud" out there is indica dominant.

Also, HID's aren't nearly as sophisticated as a nice lineup of LED's - my LED lamps use very little electricity, and provide most important parts of the light spectrum to the plants. I like using little energy and not being a consumer - And it doesn't make me a cheap ass or poor hobo if i chose not to use mylar - I just like being efficient.

LED's are more sophisticated than HID's??? I guess it depends on your definition of "sophistication"... I bet you can't find a serious grower who prefers them to HID's, or gets a better yield with his super-expensive yet subpar lighting technology. :D

This is almost like a bad joke... I can't take it anymore. It's almost like you really believe what you're saying right now, which just makes it that much worse...

...thanks for the laughs.

I'm not trying to be an ass here man, but you're really being the one to 'call out' people, how do you know he's never seen mylar? what ignorance in his post? i really don't understand....

The ignorant statement in his post was that mylar would only make a difference in a "small stealth grow." I was being nice when I said ignorant... we can go ahead and change that to "stupid." I feel comfortable making the guess that someone who says that has obviously never seen mylar in use in an average sized grow room.

Kinda like someone who says indicas.... aww, nevermind. :p

Well there was a book published on marijuana... oh wait... couple dozen, and these numbers coming from people are the average of whats shown in the books - and they prob have read a few of these -

... so not only do you claim to know exactly what I'm growing and why, but now you're claiming to know what all these people read in their spare time as well? Amazing... This is getting wierd... and incredibly stupid. It's also really difficult to read all this rambling without any proper sentence structure, so forgive me if I skip several of your "points".

BTW, not every book on growing pot is a good one. ;)

and you can even torrent them and get 30 books for free if you're willing to read them all...it hurts your eyes if you're reading them all on a screen - amazon.com has used ones for very cheap - you say "here is the only chart i could find" if thats all the research info you have to validate what you say then i believe you haven't done much but the exact same thing but get numbers from a single source.

No, getting numbers from a single source was actually one more source than anyone else here has quoted as of yet... doesn't mean I didn't research it, just means I wasn't dedicated enough to search all day for you. If you'd like me to be your private researcher, I suppose we can discuss salary and benefits...

I'm done, I said what I had to say about the topic, and the kid who called me a "baby cry", whatever the hell that is. I've posted what little evidence I had to support my opinion. Sorry it offended you so much man...

I'll just take my big snobby lightbulbs and messy mylar and go home now. :rolleyes:

17. #37 chemicalcomfort, Oct 16, 2008
    I called you a baby cry because you said

after i simply disagreed. last i checked you attacked me personally first.

baby cry is simply another phrasing of cry baby. quite common in my neck of the woods. amazing how words work.

my post count is what it is simply because i try to help others out instead of just taking and never giving anything back (seemingly like someone i know... :rolleyes:). i've got a phone that can browse the internet so i just cruise grasscity whenever i'm stuck in a boring lecture. i also actually like being corrected if i have some misinformation. just not by pretentious pricks (uh-hem) :rolleyes: search for my posts and tell me they're all useless.

18. #38 Mr. MJ, Oct 16, 2008
    I posted my graph source... but you actually got on your computer and made that for lil ol' me? Awwwww.... how sweet! :love: Jesus kid, get a life... find a source that proves your point, or take your own advice and GTFO. You're being pretty pathetic. Like an annoying child, trying to get my attention or something...

The first thing I said was that I'm basing my opinion on my own personal EXPERIENCE. Try again... ;)

[edit]: I considered your bullshit "CFL"-line a smart-assed comment... so from where I stand, you started the bullshit... not that it matters, cuz it officially ends now. Peace!

19. Adopted. Its okay at least jesus loves you hahahahahaha.

20. #40 chemicalcomfort, Oct 16, 2008
    ya took all 2 seconds of my time to make that lol. but i always have time to refute a douchebag.

LOL well done