Why are you religious?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by TheCruz831, Jan 18, 2013.

1. I'm athiest and I don't understand how someone could believe in religious stuff. God created the earth a few thousand years ago? Why do we have fossils from millions of years ago. Evolution isn't real? Why are we generally getting less wisdom teeth, than we did hundreds of years ago? It's not a coincidence, its because we don't need to carve bones with our teeth and shit. I don't see how someone could think that "god has a plan". You got the job because your interview went well and your qualified, not because god is looking out for you.
    How do you believe in heaven? There is no evidence at all of your spirit goes to heaven... There isn't even such thing as a spirit. Just your brain. And your brain isn't gonna float up into the clouds, is it?
    People say when their heart stopped and they were resuscitated, that while they were dead, they saw themself from above. Some people think this is god-related. It makes much more sense to me that when your heart stopped, your blood stopped carrying oxygen to your brain, and a bunch of brain cells died, so you tripped hard as fuck. Like huffing cause all that does is kill brain cells.
    I'm legitimately interested in a believer-of-god's response to why you believe in god?

"Some folks say that smokin' herb is a crime, if they catch ya smokin' there bound to drop the dime... insufferable, informal, crazy fools" -Bradley Nowell (Sublime)

2. let the thread war begin!

3. This is going to be fun! >:)

4. Round and round it seems to go, will they stop nobody knows.

As if there aren't umpteen threads on this very question already. Any non-masochistic theists should know to stay clear of them. But there are always a few who think they will reveal something this time that will convince when previously it did not. I'm sure this one will still fill up pretty quickly.

Stand back and give the egos some room to gather.
    A quick mental massage to get the juices flowing perhaps.
    Polish up your arguments, be ready to defend, react and get personal.
    These are the rules of the conflict.
    Good hunting.

5. I was listening to "Too Old to Die Young" by Brother Dege when I read your post. This line is almost the same as the lyric in the song. It was kind of trippy to smoke up then hop on here and put that song on and read this at the exact same time Brother Dege was singing it. :cool:

6. OK - I'll play!

You say "I'm atheist". Thus you prove you too are "religious". When you defined religion as one who believes in God (theist) - you simultaneously define one who does not believe in God as "religous". Just the opposite side.

For proof of this go to the Atheist lounge and you will quickly learn which "preachers" this religion follows. You will see them lifting up these preachers and praising them. If you were not religious you would simply act and speak based on what you believe - without labels. You would never spend time professing something you don't believe. It's nonsensical and silly.

You can spot a "religious" person by this simple light: One who proclaims a belief in something they do not understand because others they desire to be like believe in it.

The religious (atheists included) desire to appear "wise" before men. However, in reality each claims to believe in something they don't actually believe. This isn't wise at all.

7. Because I genuinely believe in God :confused_2:

I go to synagogue weekly because I enjoy the community. I enjoy the sermons. I love the intricacy and beauty of Kabbalah. And every week the Rabbi announces the following week's congregational service project, which I love to participate in.

And I don't believe any of the "beliefs" you have included in your OP. Perhaps instead of asking "why are you religious?" you should have asked "why are you a fundamentalist Christian?" The two concepts are not the same.

8. Wow man, this calls for...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-_sABor77E]Epic Facepalm Compilation ULTIMATE EDITION - YouTube[/ame]

The whole atheism is a religion thing proves you dont' know what the fuck religion is.

9. Could you please provide proof there is no spirit ?
    Id also like to see your proof there there is no god,

If your going to ask folks to prove thier beliefs I have to assume you have evidence to back up your claims..

If one has no proof, One cannot make claims of such things...

10. http://forum.grasscity.com/profile.php?do=editsignature

11. #11 thoughtware, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013

No, it proves the fact that all the athiest religious believer does is belittle others with "you don't know anything". This response results from the fact that your religion of atheism actually professess not to know anything. This "belief" system is a religion like any other religion.

In fact, you even provided the classic "atheist face palm" response. This gesture is also part of your religion - as the multitude of your "atheists religion" congregation also responds this way.

In fact, I'm tired of you atheists. So let's rumble. :p

12. How very Christ-like of you to make such discriminatory generalizations.

13. It doesnt make any sense. A magical man in the sky that is watching out for humanity thats ridiculous.
    I mean thats not really evidence,but cmon man think about it.

14. What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? Seriously, address his issue not present your opinion if you're trying to prove something.

15. I can prove God through reasoning, wanna see?:eek::)

16. I am agnostic, and although I don't believe in god, I do believe in a higher power. I think a lot of religions are actually based off of astrology, but thats a convo within itself

17. Please

18. Watch this...

19. #20 Senior PoopiePants, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
    And does it seem not right for a mod to get into this type of discussion? Passions can run high and people can be banned.

Am I wrong? And please don't ban me for just asking.

You see, I disagree with what Yoda is saying and I want to rebut, however, I am filled with trepidation.