Why are you atheist/agnostic?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Hathora, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Hi all. Flame away, I know it's unavoidable. But seriously, this thread is for you to put out all those questions you have, the ones that tell you that religion is bullshit.

Essentially, you are the Devil's Advocate.

I will be God's advocate.

You ever get in religious debates with a religious fanatic? I used to all the time. It always felt pointless, like they didn't have common sense. And they never had any kind of intelligent answers for my most important questions.

So here, if you'd like, I will attempt to give you an answer for your question that you can turn over in your mind and see how you feel about it.

This ought to be fun! :p

2. If we all proceed from God, then God could be called our source. If God is our source, how can our true nature be anything other than that of God? Isn't separation just denying the source?

3. you seem to think that the reason we don't believe in god is because there are questions we have about god that we cannot answer.
    this is a misconception.

4. God is the Source. He is the Creator. He is also ever expanding in his creation. In order to expand, God must continually create. The Other is the nothingness from which everything begins. It is the "how" within which God creates.

Think of a black box. Now think of a small white dot inside it. Now think of that small white dot spreading. This dot is God. The black is The Other. God, in his divinity, made the compromise of limiting himself. If you'd like an example of how the Bible tells this story, the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was God sacrificing himself for our existence. He could not create us without creating the Other. Within the Other, He is continuously building himself.

We are his "companions." We are the way by which He grows. We are in what you would call the "in between." In the image described above, we were once of the white dot. Then he created us, as we are aware of us, through the Other. It is our job to accept the energy of God and fill the energy of the Other with God. We are God's tool. If this is the World of Warcraft, God is the one and only player, and we are only the characters, all Him when we recognize reality.

The question you ask is the secret to God's eternal existence. When you understand that, you can understand why God had[/I0] to create the Other in order to create us, to grow. He purposely imposed limits on himself so that he may overcome those limits.

Hope this helps. <3

5. Stealth, it is not a misconception as you are only one person. Many have questions.

I understand your saying that you do not. If you would like to elaborate further, I'm here to chat with you. :)

6. Isn't it clear that we're a reflection of his nature, and therefore WE may overcome these limits.

7. Yes, TheJourney. This is what I mean by "We are God's tools." My arm grabs a glass and brings it to my lips. The arm is not responsible for the action. I am responsible for the action. The arm is me. The arm is part of me. I use my arm for my purposes.

8. Religion? Aliens made this world, and they facepalm on how we fight over different beliefs.

9. Who created God?

I was thinking about this when somebody in my class told us of the fact that we do not know what came before the universe, saying as though it proves God exist. But if he exists, what came before him?

10. So as far as some sort of great coming together. Is this a fantasy, or is it reality? Is it about letting the world do it, and then it coming to you when the time is right?

11. lol Well, that could be one way of thinking of it. I can't say that is a false statement because one could say it with Truth if that is how they understand Him. And I'm sure He facepalms a million times daily. :)

12. Where does my desire for a companion and sexual activity come in? Are these the fruits of the tree of knowledge?

13. :eek:

14. #14 Hathora, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
    I'm glad you asked this one since this was probably one of my biggest questions. I would love to help you answer it.

First, I want you to shake off your idea of "reality." I'm not asking you to shake off your common sense, you should always keep that. But we think of things like death and birth and existance in a very limited way. You have to understand these concepts simply don't exist outside of our world.

Have you heard of "string theory"? I like the name of it. Think of God like a string. It has a beginning and an end. How does the beginning exist? It exists because it is attached to the end. How does the end exist? It exists because it is attached to the beginning.

Now bend that string into a circle. This is the existence of God. It's why you'll see the circle shape repeatedly in ancient religions. At one pole of the circle, you have God. At the other point of the circle, you have the Other.

If you don't understand or believe me, you can ask Him for yourself. He told you this already when he created the sun, the moon, the stars, and the black holes, all for your viewing pleasure. They are his symbol to you of the nature of his existence.

Think again of the circle. The sun is at one end. A black hole is at the other. We are in between. Our earth has traveled from this black hole where once a star exploded. This is a human way of understanding the nature of God's creation. Our earth is very slowly revolving inward toward the sun, like water down a drain. It is his force, pulling us towards him.

His birth comes from his death and his death comes from his birth.

Now, if you're still saying, "Okay, I get that. BUT WHO STARTED IT?! Who CREATED him, from the VERY VERY VERY beginning?"

Where does the cycle start? It doesn't. And it doesn't end. Time is an earthly concept. We have the dimensions of length, height, and width. Time is God's fourth dimension, a limit he imposes on himself through which he can create.

You MUST understand that your ideas of birth and death are dreams, figments, unreality. The TRUE NATURE of being is just to be. There is no start. There is no finish.

Hope this helps. <3

Also, think of the infinity symbol.

15. :confused:

16. nothing...shared question...

17. it says in the bible god created us in his image...so did god evolve from monkeys too?

18. You're assuming humans have a separate nature from monkeys. Not to say that they are the same, but in a sense they are, through their nature.

19. The bible is a nice fairy tale.

20. i was born atheist

i know i know, the doctors said they couldn't do anything :(