Why are we here?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by flapflip, May 12, 2011.

1. #41 GGrass, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011

Lol... The only civil thing to do... :-D

2. #42 flapflip, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Well, I tried the peaceful approach, and it didn't work. So the next thing is to ignore them. If it ever goes past that and they're some dedicated mormons, ill turn my rotty on them =)

EDIT: Well, the hose at the very least =p

3. On a more serious note, what do you do when they knock?

4. Honestly?

I listen man...

But only if I have the time.

But usually I'm always short on time so I don't get to listen much.

So if I want to listen, then I go looking for them, not have them come to me. That way I can listen all I want and they can talk all they want.

(Them, being religious people who likes to spread their religions in one way or another. Not necessarily talking about Mormons or any other religion, but religions in general.)

5. #45 flapflip, May 13, 2011
    I really do respect that. Maybe ill try that next time. And maybe they'll listen to what I have to say about my relegion too.

6. I'm glad to hear that you are going to try it. But I doubt they'll listen to what you have to say about your religion...

(Unfair, isn't it? Such is the world...)

7. #47 flapflip, May 13, 2011
    Doesn't hurt to try. Maybe I could figure it out. Like, ask to voice my opinion first, then let them go apeshit.

8. why are we here? you have 2 popular answers to chose from or you can look for someone elses answer, or make your own up

the most widely accepted answer is this

we are here because our parents were here
    ect ect first cell big bang

then whatever caused the big bang

the second popular belief, though no evidence supports it, is that a giant all powerfull man came from heaven and made us out of clay and beathed life into us

ultimatly we will never know, because the cause-effect nature of the universe is infinite

so i guess your question is why did that first even happen? the singularity that caused the chain reaction of existance

well it is impossible that intelligence did it, because that would suggest motive, which is cause-effect based

that would suggest that the reason we exist, is because we cant not exist. from nothing, something must spark, then like cracks in glass, reality expands endlessly

9. Why are we here? Simple.

Your dad penetrated your mother. Now you are a worthless speck in the vast universe.

10. Thanks for answering the HOW, not the WHY ;)

A logical answer to me would be to advance our race.. that's why we're here. We were given this great opportunity to live life.. experience all of these emotions and shit. While we're here we should take it as a duty to advance our race as a whole, maybe to other areas of space.

But, we're too busy thinking lifes all about making money and buying shit to get the hoes and fuck the bitches.

What an enigma.

11. Lol, Is that from Bill Hicks, and George Carlin? Those are my fav. preformers of all time...

12. Life is just a ride. :)

They are two of the greatest not only comedians but free thinkers of our time.

13. RIP Bill... You'll be missed by many.

14. Relax, I was kidding. But I will TRY to answer the why, but in reality, lets face it. No one living will ever know this, maybe when we die a part of us connects to something out in the Universe and we become some soft of divine purpose that furthers a development much more complicated to us at this point in time. Or what if we are experiments(assuming the Universe is a real, live entity) and it's picking and choosing it's perfect race or at least it's going thru galaxies monitoring the evolution of it's species and seeing how they do in such conditions. I see it as we are here to be what we seek to be. I looked up at the sky last night, saw a fading star. I then thought about how HUGE some stars are and I thought about that one star I was looking at just coming right down to my balcony. It would be so immense yet something of such marvel is so far, yet shines like no other. What I'm getting at is what if maybe even as small and un-important we are to the Universe itself, what if they actions and conscious we spread around daily helps drive some kind of mechanical clock or engine that will be represented once we reach some kind of tier after achieving some sort of prosperity amongst ourselves...

That's partly my outlook anyways. Anyone can obviously have their own.

15. #55 flapflip, May 14, 2011
    But in reality, we're just a speck in time

16. Exactly. We're the smallest gear in a clock that's counting the time to a dimension of an plateau of distinct, true-raw vibrations that co-ordinate with the way we as a hole will endure that plateau, with pure good vibes and a first hand look at divine, mystical like True Bliss.

We are either here to be something more than we can see and feel, or are we just here to serve as a blink in the whole motion picture?

Sorry I was just thinking outside of my usual box, baked out of the proverbial 'Oven' :bongin:

17. #57 flapflip, May 14, 2011
    I think were here for something more to be honest

18. You know, the beginning of the bible says to go forth and become many, and to eat and how man was lonely and so we have women and after paradise was lost life became a quest for wisdom and redemption

19. #59 flapflip, May 14, 2011
    We spend our whole lives trying to redeem ourselves..

20. a little thought i just had. consider the corporations that screwed people before/during/after the economic crash of 2008. those people caused harm to millions in order to make money, or, in other words, for self gain. if you want to think about why you're here in terms of marginal utility and ethics, i think a somewhat logical answer is that it's to help others as much as possible.

if it were possible to measure right and wrong, i think it would be much more effective to use your resources/energy/time to help those around you; this is assuming that the opposite would be to use your resources to help yourself. i say this because, no matter how much "good" you do for yourself, it is only being done for one person: you. using a bit of symbolism, i would argue that it's "better" to give a thousand people 10 points of good than it is to give yourself 10,000 points of good. i realize that sounds dumb as hell but i think it illustrates my point.