Why are we here?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by sikander, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Eh? Eh?

The way I see it there's not really any reason why we exist beyond the obvious causal chain ("we're here because of all that's gone before that caused us to exist"), we're just here, so we might as well make the best of it.

2. Maybe a more important question is Why does there have to be a Why?

3. #3 sikander, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
    I've been told it's one of the biggest questions one can ask, though of course my biggest question resulting from that statement is "Why?" ;)

I dunno. It's a question people ask a lot. I can see where they're coming from. In order to know what to do you kind of have to know what you're supposed to be doing. Knowing why you're here, people seem to think, might help them know what to do with their own life, and isn't that a big and scary question?

Especially in the modern developed world, where the mainstream culture doesn't even talk about that. As long as you're buying things you're golden by consumerism's standards. Good heavens, people don't find that working their asses off to buy things they don't need satisfactory?

4. Well, if you want to go waaaay outside the box, out of the prism that contains the box, then..

My, ehm, somewhat meta-scientific description of why we're here is that living things, through reproduction, create more energy, fulfilling "potential", creating "kinetic", if you will. If you view the universes 'order' (ie the systems of everyday life, celestial alignment, etc.) to be based on randomness (chance, probability), randomness would be based on potential, and the framework for potential is infinity (infinite amount of potential).

If you see everything as the embodiment of infinite potential, then it could be taken that we create potential, create infinity itself, with the production of life. Now, that could also mean inside ourselves, in the structure of our atomic structure, reside in some form universes. And, also that we are, in some inane way, conscious infinity. The self drawing picture.

Why that would happen? Because it's random and pointless, probably the product of some chemical reaction or collision in a particle collider.

:smoking: :smoke:

5. #5 Atarijedi, Jul 13, 2009
    @sikander

There is no why, because there is no intelligence behind our existence. I guess you could say that the Answer to "Why are we here?" is "No reason, No Why". If you want to do something, do it. There is nothing that you are "supposed" to be doing from a philosophical point. You don't exist for the reason of doing a specific thing. You just exist.

@H2O420

Although the Universe could be infinite (and I believe it is, the whole expand/collapse/restart thing), as we know it now, it follows the laws of entropy, meaning that eventually, the universe will run out of gas and just stop.

The Universe is most definitely orderly, everything follows casuality, so much so that I don't really believe in randomness. It may appear to be random, but it isn't. Chance and Probability are real, but they are only used to gauge how random something appears to be.

6. Some people ask "why?"

Some people say "why why?"

Some people say "who cares?"

7. #7 sikander, Jul 13, 2009
    Thank you but you're preaching to the choir. IE, look at the first post again where I said that.

8. I think we should ignore the why, and rather focus on the fact that we exist and go from there. What is the purpose?

SHort version: there is none, make your own!

9. #9 kooca1z, Jul 13, 2009
    I think ,Where here to grow.In all ways...We chose the way we want to grow.....Some don't have the privilage of having that choice.Some do..This place we call earth is a garden..."GardenSchool"..:Dhttp://www.jaxa.jp/press/2007/11/img/20071113_kaguya_01l.jpg its so dark out there,Thank GOD for all that he gives us......