Why are they called gravity bongs?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Easer, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Gravity is what makes the water fall down but suction is what actually fills the chamber with smoke its odd

2. The guy who first invented it, smoked it, and got really high before he named it :smoking:

3. im guessing you pull up and the gravity pulls down the water, or u push down 2 get the smoke in

4. i have no idea but heres a really nice one for yah :D
    [​IMG]

5. The suction happens due to gravity, therefore, gravity bong.

6. yeah idk dude. what gehtfuct said sounds best ot me

7. yah definitely weird.

In Australia theyre called Bucket bongs (becuase they're in a bucket obviously)

You'd think "waterfall bongs" would have got stuck with the name gravity bong, and bucket bongs called Sunctions bongs :confused_2:

Protip: Turn your laundry sink into a gravity bong; its at the perfect height to lean over, and you can use larger containers to pull your hits! :D

8. its not gravity that causes it to fill up, its pressure. but the gravity causes the water to go down which causes that pressure. sooo idk

also waterfalls are different, the water drains out of the bottom of the bottle in that one so it actually makes sense

9. Water level is all wrong dude (bucuase that bucket is too small for the container)

The water level should come to just below the cap, otherwise when take the hit your leaving a huge amount of air (i think 1 litre in that pic), which go's stale. When you pack and pull the next hit after that your just mixing new smoke with old smoke.

That 2ltr juice container should be in a 10ltr bucket (not a 3ltr by the looks of it).

10. [​IMG]

'cause Stone Cold Said So

11. i have a theory...
    if you just let it fall and breath in at the rate the bottle is falling, the smoke rises into your lungs at the exact proportional rate of gravity, therefor counteracting the 9.8m/s2 making you feel weightless. youre smoking gravity.

12. Even bong or smoking device that I can think of fills with suction, so to call it a suction bong with be ambiguous. The major difference between a gravity bong and a regular bong is that gravity is sucking the smoke into the chamber, and not your lungs, hence the name gravity bong.

13. Aren't bucket bongs and waterfall bongs just diff. types of gravity bongs?

14. ^ I need the kinda dank you be smokin damn, but yeah if you pulled in while the water was still falling im 90% sure that the water would come up into your mouth or stay in place, but because there's no air passing in with the smoke you wouldn't get a hit, thats what carbs are for

15. fucking amazing:smoking:

16. Not really, although smoke is drawn into the chamber to replace water, the similaritys end there.

A waterfall bong needs to be refilled after every bowl, is messy, and is cleared purely through the effort/power of the users lungs. It really just seems like a drawn out way to pull a bowl, that isn't even going to be cleared properly.

A bucket bong wont get your feet wet, can be immediatly repacked for a new hit after its been used, and most importantly can be cleared through pushing the container back down into the bucket, becuase the water displaces the smoke. If your inhaling at the same time you can clear the chamber without any type of resistance at all, and not waste any of the smoke (2-3 litre hits!).

I've seen some people that lift the container completely out of the water as they pull thier bowl, and then try to clear the chamber, but a great deal of smoke is wasted (becuase the entire end of the container is open, the smoke swirls about and floats off, its not the same as clearing a tupe or spoon that has a small carb).
    I've also seen some people pull the bucket partially out of the water, filling it with smoke, then maintain its height and try and suck the smoke out pulling water up behind it, effectivly adding the weight/resistance of all the water in the bucket as they clear the container. I think that style is wack.

17. wtf is a laundry sink...

18. Um acutally no bro. If you used a gravity bong regularly you would know everything you just stated hardly makes a difference. I could literally fill that bucket half way and it would be plently enough to get a fat rip. And if you really that concerned about "old" smoke( that you just lit 5 seconds before) then you can simply take the container out with the cap off and the smoke floats out....

19. it's the sink, inside you laundry?

In Australia you commonly have bedrooms, lounge room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, toilet, and then a Laundry room, where your washing machine and dryer are kept.

Are you in one of those countrys where they put the washing machine in the kitchen? :eek: