Why are people so stupid?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by crestonchic08, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Yesterday i emailed the seneter of the u.s. about how safe marijuana is and why it should be legalized he came back to say that marijuana is a gateway drug so i did some research on the subject and here are abunch of lies that i found:
    What is it?
    Marijuana is a green or gray mixture of dried, shredded flowers and leaves of the hemp plant Cannabis sativa. It can be eaten in certain foods or smoked. It is an illegal drug.
    What does it do?
    The effects vary from person to person depending on how strong the marijuana is, how it's taken and whether other drugs or alcohol are involved. At first, pot can make people feel relaxed, in a good mood and even silly. Users will likely experience dry mouth, rapid heartbeat, some loss of coordination and poor sense of balance, and slower reaction times, along with intoxication. Blood vessels in the eye will expand causing the red-eye effect. NIDA
    Smoking marijuana may impair short-term memory while people are using the drug. This happens because all forms of marijuana contain THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), the main active chemical in marijuana, which alters the way the brain works. After a few minutes, paranoia or anxiousness may set in, then intense hunger (a.k.a. the munchies). Finally, sleepiness. NCADI For some people, marijuana raises blood pressure slightly and can double the normal heart rate. This effect can be greater when other drugs are mixed with marijuana.
    Who uses it?
    Marijuana is the most widely used illegal drug in the United States. Fewer than one in four high school seniors say they are current users. Between 1991 and 2001, the number of 8th graders who used marijuana doubled from one in ten to one in five.

Marijuana affects memory, judgment and perception even in the short-term, as was found in a study conducted by Pope and Yurgelun-Todd published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. It can mess you up in school, in sports or clubs, or with your friends. Several studies, including one reported a few years ago in the American Journal of Public Health, indicate that if you're high on marijuana, you are more likely to do things that could embarrass or even hurt you-such as driving under the influence or engaging in risky sexual behaviors. For athletes, THC's effect on timing, coordination, and movement-which can last for several hours-can seriously hurt performance. NCADI

Over the long term, smoking pot can cause you to lose interest in how you look and how you're getting along at school or work. NCADI It can also be much worse for your respiratory health than smoking cigarettes; the amount of tar, carbon monoxide, and cancer-causing chemicals inhaled in marijuana smoke are three to five times greater than that inhaled from the same amount of tobacco smoke. (NIDA Infofax)

It's important also to remember that marijuana is an addictive drug, responsible for about 60% of all the teenagers who seek admission to drug treatment centers in the U.S. Smoking marijuana leads to some changes in the brain similar to those caused by cocaine, heroin and alcohol. (Di Chiara's study-in NIDA information). Research at the University of Columbia demonstrates that people who regularly smoke marijuana experience withdrawal symptoms after they stop using it.

tell me what you think about this subject and email the Senator :http://bayh.senate.gov/

2. Alright first of all, this is definitely the wrong forum to post this in. You should've put it in Legalization and Activism, or maybe you could've gotten away with Recreational Marijuana Use.

Well... I think there are only two discrepancies in that entire collection of facts. The thing about paranoia and nausea setting in after a few minutes (weed counter nausea in my experience...), and the thing about it being an addictive drug. Also, the gateway drug thing has been proven bullshit. I forgot where I saw the study and I really don't feel like looking for it right now but other than those, that's all pretty much 100% true. Course it still doesn't matter... most of that stuff is about half as bad as it is with alcolhol anyway ("risky sexual acts" "driving under the influence" and then all of the vague references to decreased performance ability WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE DRUG. Uhm... yeah... and your local pharmacy has a warning on most of their legal drugs that tells you not to operate heavy machinery while using. They tend to do that.)

3. ya sry 4 the rong forum i was high
    i did repost it in another forum
    lol oh well
    i really dont remember posting at all

4. or maybe not.........hum......