Why are people assholes?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Bluntzilla420, Nov 1, 2012.

1. I try my best to be a good person. I hold the door open for strangers, I tell the lady at the counter "thank you" and I am always there for my friends. It's funny when others don't do the same for you, and I'm not sure if it's just the people I associate myself with or if this is just an unruly trend among humanity. People are inherently bad rather than good; at least that's my outlook.

I try to find the best in people and the older (and wiser) I become, that notion of thinking can really fuck everything up.

2. Shortest thread ever.......

People are assholes, to remind us how nice of people we are...;)

3. It seems like an easy problem to dissect. But is it really?

Or maybe I need some new fuckin' friends.

4. I need to smoke to celebrate being prophetic.....;)

5. I can definitely relate. The majority of people are completely selfish and just dgaf about other people. Seemingly they don't appreciate a damn thing you do for them, and will fuck you over in a heartbeat. I've gotten used to it though, it's just the sad reality of the human race; bunch of inconsiderate retards for the most part

6. It's an easy problem that could go away so simply if people cared. I feel you, man. People are mad rude nowadays. I hold doors open, hell I open doors for people:D. Say good morning, how are you, have a good day, etc. Most people look at me like :rolleyes:. I don't know, man. Sometimes I feel like it would be easier to be apathetic and not care like I used to. But I like being nice to people, it makes me feel good. :smoking: Probably not the answer you were looking for.

7. I wonder how much of being an asshole is a conscious effort.

8. One man's arsehole is another man's best friend.

Being nice to people is not dependent on them 'getting it'. So what if you open the door for someone and they give you a look? Are you doing it for them or for you? If it makes you feel good then it's for your benefit to be like this, regardless of whether they appreciate it or not. Just because some don't, or appear not to anyway, doesn't change anything, nor will it stop those few who do from making you realise it.

Perhaps the secret is to stop looking to see how people react to having the door held for them, and just do it because you want to.

9. Couldn't agree more.

The idea of being 'kind' is that it's unconditional.

10. When did I ever say I was doing it for myself? Just because I try to be a good person doesn't mean I try to only be good for my own well being. That'd just be irrational.

11. I dont think I've ever actually agreed with you on anything before, but I agree with you 100% here. First time for everything, I guess.

12. #12 xpixiex, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
    I agree with this statement.
    Generally, people are pieces of shit. Including myself.:)

Actually, the documentary on Netflix titled "Happy" claims that doing service for others actually can benefit yourself. It makes you happy. So, service to others really does affect your own well being.

It's not irrational at all to do service for others just to benefit yourself.

13. I feel you... but i think im just associated with pieces of shit because they all are. Im waiting to get out of my scumy minimum wage job to get a real job and deal with better people...until then...sigh.......

14. Being a nice guy includes not feeling entitled to reciprocation.

World don't owe you shit.

15. It's a nice thing to hold doors and say thanks to people, irrespective of if anyone thanks you for it. Calling everyone "assholes" on the internet makes it sound like your annoyed that other people aren't living up to the standards you've imposed on them.

16. i think that was a bit more spiteful than i wanted.

i mean to say, you're doing the right thing. don't worry about people returning the favour or anything, just roll on.

17. Agreed.

And what if we don't choose to hold the door? What if there was someone right behind us and we let that thing swing shut so they have to open it themselves. Crime of the century? They might take an attitude about it, having expected us to at least attempt to hold the door. After all they might think, they'd have done it.

Here's the thing:

What if there'd been nobody there as they'd approached the door? They'd just open it. They wouldn't be feeling some terrible misfortune at finding the door closed. No, they'd just open it.

So what's the difference if the person in front makes you open the door yourself and you feel aggrieved or offended? Expectation. Judgement. All good reasons to look within before deciding that what someone else does has anything to do with you.

@ White Indian

Really? The first time? That's really something. As you know, I've said quite a lot of things on here, so for that to be the first time you've agreed with me means something has definitely changed. I wonder if it's you or me?

18. Holding a door for someone is an example, and a lax one at that. I understand that every person has different standards of living, but I would probably be right on the money by saying that there are general standards to human civilization. Anything you do, usually there's a type of universal agreement when it comes to behavior. This goes beyond holding doors open or any of that bullshit. It's kind of like the "eye for an eye" teachings from long, long ago.

19. Like I said, it's bigger than that. And not all people are assholes, but I encounter plenty over the course of a day or week or month.

20. Screw 'em, never let the asshats change you.

I try to display signs of curtesy and always figured that kindness cost you nothing. :smoke: