Why are my plants so small?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Willb24, Jul 13, 2015.

1. I started growing these two bag seed plants almost a month ago. My first grow. Germinated them, then planted, they have now been above the soil for almost a month. They look healthy to me and they are growing, but extremely slowly. What am I doing wrong? BTW both plants have been outside day and night.

Attached Files:

2. Yeah the plants do look good..but for a month, they should be a little bigger. How is your soil or medium? Looks to me you could use some perlite. Perlite adds aeration and a little better drainage.

3. I agree with Trichuk about your soil- it needs some perlite. Have you given any nutes yet? They are nice and green but maybe a 1/4 strength dose of nutes may help.

4. What kind of soil are they in? How often are you watering? How many hours of direct sun are the plants getting?

• Like Like x 2
  5. I'm using Vigoro organic for my soil, my buddy had some and said he really liked it when he grew. As far as nutes, I haven't started yet but I will now. As far as watering, every three days pretty much sometimes every two days and both plants are getting about 14 to 15 hours of direct sunlight. Anyone know of a good starter nutes for a first timer?

6. Im in Cali, where the weather has been getting 100+ lately. I don't put my plants outside when it gets over 90 degrees. Ive been told I should keep them in 80-85 degree temperatures.

7. They may look green but at one month old three inches tall with two nodes is not healthy. They are getting plenty of sun, and unless watering is an issue I would say the soil is likely to be the real problem. That viagro is cheap stuff, and low quality in my opinion. Even at summer temps of 90 to 100 degrees they should be doing better.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jay, watering isn't an issue for sure. I'm thinking it is the soil, even though my friend said his plants did good in the same soil. Also, not adding any nutes or fertilizer probably isn't helping...

9. When the sun is on them, how hot do those pots get to the touch? Hot pots will stunt root growth tremendously.

• Like Like x 3
  10. The pots never get hot enough for me to touch them, in fact I've never even noticed the pots ever getting very hot at all. Warm of course, but never super hot.

11. Okay, so let me try to explain to you why I KNOW feeding them will help. I planted my plants in April. Some I planted on 4/20, some earlier, but as of this photo, June 14, they are almost TWO months old.
    IMG_1967.jpg

Yeah, I know, I suck at growing, but I got a ton of seeds and no one can stop me from trying...

Well, when I decided to ditch my "water only" experiment and started using the KIND series (Botanicare), this is what happened.
    SAM_0105.jpg
    These are the same plants, I've just given them food and sprayed with Neem oil. I took this pic about an hour ago before spraying.

If you feed them, they will grow! TRUST ME!

12. You will find in growing, as with many other things, one persons opinion of "good" may differ greatly from others.

• Like Like x 1
  13. So you took the second picture (after feeding them) today, June 14th. When did you take the first picture when they were smaller? Tryin to figure out how long they took to go from the first pic to the second.

14. Sometimes they are just shit genetics too,

look through my current grow thread, note the day i got seed pop, to now, and how long its effin been! lol...

I had a bad pheno pineapple chunk, that some people couldnt get them past 4 inchs tall after 2 months... so yeah, sometimes you just get duds.

but i agree, i bet they need nitrogen and aeration, and keep an eye on soil moisture level.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP you should have planted them in March instead of June.

16. Gave then for fertilizer (nitrogen) yesterday around 3pm. Also watered then again. Just woke up and check them...both plants are getting brown and sick looking...either I have watered too much or put too much fertilizer in. Thinking that spraying water and fertilizer directly on the plant wasn't a good idea now...you grow and you live I guess haha

17. If anyone can tell me if my above theory on why my plants are brown and sick looking is correct, please let me know!

18. wait what? You put the nutrients on the leaves? You're supposed to give it to the roots.

Going by the size of the plant I doubt if it's used up all the nutes anyway. Most probably the roots are getting cooked. I'd put it in a much larger pot and go easy on the watering for a while. Painting the pot white or covering it in a reflective sun screen will help.

You are better off with a plastic pot over a ceramic one because they are very heavy and difficult to tell whether it needs watering or not

• Like Like x 1
  19. Don't know what I was thinking putting nutes on the leafs, just mixed some nutes with water and misted the plants didn't really think anything of it at the time. The pictures I have up are the plants before any nutes or fertilizer. FYI I did put nutes in the soil too, not just spray them on the leafs.