Why are my plants growing so slowly?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by St0ner Steve, Dec 5, 2010.

1. I have 2 seedlings about 2.5 weeks old but they look like their not even a week old. Their about 2.5-3in tall, have their 2nd set of leaves (not including cotyledons). I have them under 70w of fluro tubes, in jiffy pots filled with topsoil. Theyve been on an 18/6 light cycle since day 1. I just fed them with some Mircale Gro All purpose fertilizer yesterday and nothing has happened yet. Idk, im probably doing something wrong, because ive seen other grows where the plants are twice the size of mine less than a week old.

I would upload a picture but i cant figure how to.

2. To upload the pic, place the pic on your desktop(easiest way) and then in the thread you hit "manage attachments" and the click on one of the "browse" buttons on the new window that opens up. find your pic on your desktop and add it. then click the "upload" button. Bam you got it!
    Good luck with the grow. Get a pic or two up and everyone here can help a little more.

3. Thanks man! Well, here it is. Theres only one now, i tossed the other as it was stretched a bit too much.

Attached Files:

4. Depending on the germination time or method this looks like a healthy sprout.

5. Its almost 3 weeks old though? Its only 2in tall too.

6. looks good, no nutes..water till you get some nodes..

7. Is it tough to judge. What kind of light do you have? I Veg under my 150 HPS under 24h in FFOF soil and I give very very small amounts of nutes from seed. My babies were about 10 inches tall and 7-9 nodes.....in 30 days. Then they go to 12/12 under my 650 and 400w HPS Mine are about 2-3 weeks from harvest and just over 2 months old.

But I do agree, it does look healthy.

8. It's also good to mention that there's no need to toss seedlings that are stretched. You can bury the extra length of stem when you transplant.

9. #9 jonnyplayer, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
    make sure it is warm enough. Seedlings will grow very slow if not kept warm, especially roots. If you cant keep it at 75-80, at least get a heat pad so roots are warm. Misting leaves once a day is also good. don't use miracle grow it sucks. don't water until soil is dry or roots wont grow. but most important is heat and if you must use florescents keep very close to plant. if you dont ph your water do it, if you don't want to spend money on meter, get the strips, they are less than five bucks. stay with the 18-6 there is no benifit and possibly even a decrease in growth under 24

10. Unless you are using a huge HiD. the difference of 18/6 and 24h light for veg isnt much besides the cost to run it. On my last grow i did 18/6 and my plants were about the same height as my current grow, only difference was my 24h veg'd plants had more nodes and 7-11 finger fans after 30 days. could have been coinsidence, i dont know much about it, but they loved the light! :)