Why are my buds forming fluffy and not dense?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by phillay420, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

Here are some pics of my plant which had a rough start to life under low light. Only for a few weeks has it been under a good amount of light. How can I get denser bud growth or will they naturally thicken up. I think it is a very sativa dominant plant so could still have 5 weeks + of flowering despite being about 5 - 6 weeks in?

Any other advice on the other problems like droopy leaves would be appreciated.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. #2 str8jacket, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
    It looks over fertilized and over watered.

What do you mean by a good amount of light? What light(s) do you have it under now?

If you get it healthy ASAP, with good light it's still young enough that it could produce a decent amount.

It's kind of a skinny main stalk to support that many bud sites though. A lot depends on how healthy the root system is.

3. Str8 said what I was thinking... She looks healthy enough to bounce back well, just gotta get her on track....

4. Well this is awesome news cause if you look at previous threads you will see how terrible she was a few weeks ago. I have her under 150w of cfl. Any ways to strengthen the stalk because a lot of bending is going on with the added weight?? It could be over watered so will let her dry right out and see if it helps her out.

5. #5 killset, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
    Its already 5-6 weeks into flower he said. 1 cfl isn't going to help that plant much. CFLs only penetrate a few inches, so its only getting to a small part of your plant even being a 150. Is 150 watts the equivalent or actual watts? It would of been better to have more CFLs spread around then 1 cfl right over the top. Its still got time to put on some weight, not much, but your current lighting needs some upgrading if you hope for any improvement .

6. Shes never going to get large under 150w of cfl.

150w of hps would grow 2-3x the plant, fwiw. The penetration just isnt there. Even with lst it would be difficult.
    You want fat buds? Increase the light and im not talkin cfls. Hids or leds is what you need.

~ poke

7. You said they had a rough start with low light...your root zone is an indirect proportion of what is gonna grow up top....im willing to bet they dont have much root mass....which leads to no mass above the soil....hot spots....improper uptake....on and on....veg long time next time

8. I have multiple lights with a total of 150 watts. I have attempted to tackle penetration issues by having lights coming off the wall horizontally at about mid height with light also coming from above. I personally thought it was a good idea.

While I'm at it does anyone such as yourself have a idea of the range I may yield?

9. And it's 150 actual watts

10. Next grow I will use hid though had limitations financially at beginning of grow. Today I was in a tool shop and saw a second hand 400w ballast for $65 dollars (about 50 US dollars ) which I thought was a winner so gonna pick up tomorrow.

11. #11 rain dancer, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Let me show you something i often show my cfl buddys, because i feel your pain :)

Here's my experience below
    750w of cfls is not greater than 250w of hps.

It comes down to lumens, par, and penetration.

Here's a post with math to educate you to the reality of your ignorance on the subject. Not meant offensive at all. I had to learn the hard way, because I was the most ignorant of them all, trust me. Spent hard earned money before i was internet saavy :D

So my buddy on another site is using cfls. I used to use them too and i liked them, but then i did some simple math. Heres the math i did for his setup, apply it to yours.

so you're using 356 watts at 1200 lumens per 23w bulb.
    thats 16,800 lumens at 276watts
    +
    80watts at 2650 lumens per 40w bulb = 2650*2=5300 lumens + 16800 = 22,100 lumens at 356watts. Right?
    now, hps at 400watts (only 40 more than youre using) puts out 50,000 lumens for 40 watts more, ie, you are throwing a shitload of money away and saving nothing using cfl and would double your light output and brightness in your room and save money in the long run and double yields with only 40 watts more of electricity and simple upgrade to a bigger bulb. for what its worth ~ poke

350w cfl
    [​IMG]
    Airy buds, 30 dollar increase in electric bill

600w hps 60 dollar increase in electric bill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

350w cfl
    [​IMG]

600w hps
    [​IMG]

Youll regret wasting your money later. At least i did, but i like to grow stuff that rivals or puts to shame what i can buy on the street!

And hps wins for me!
    [​IMG]

^ thats the gist of my cfl vs hps experience

P.s. Lets clarify shall we?

276w cfls = 16,800 lumens
    150w hps = 16,000 penetrating lumens

Ie, twice the bill, half to 1/4t the bud.

Most people get bitter with numbers. I just moved on, considering I was paying a shitload for the worst airy weed known to man. The ONLY upside for me was that I was growing my own and like a child only a mother could love, i loved my airy cfl grown bud and it wasnt that bad, considering i starved my plant of its potential, wasted 4 months of my life, grew sad plants, and paid 5x the price i would for the same amount, but you learn when it costs you.

Have fun man, thats what its all about.
    ~ poke

12. #12 killset, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
    maybe you kept them 2 far away, cfls can only be a couple inches away or they're not doing much good. my guess at this point is very little. When you go to dry it, it will loose 3/4 of its weight. Those are so airy there's not much weight to them to begin with. High temps can also make buds airy, have you had any temp issues?

13. Id say that plant has more than 5 weeks some sativas can take 14 weeks to fully flower so thers time for them to pack on weight 😆

14. My guess around 5g yield with d cfl

15. Lights lights and more lights, and then, add more lights
    In my market, a 200W cfl with a decent hood is more expensive than a 1k cooltube hps kit!
    I also recommend craigslist for grow lights as well. I would invest in at least a 600 hps ~$75-150 or a 
    MarsII 900 for ~250$

16. To hot what's your Temp's? And humidity?

17. I grew a plant under 250w of cfl and got 1 zip off it. The next grow with the same strain, ferts, water airflow etc...but 250w hid lights, got me 3 zips. The buds were still fluffy, but to get nice, dense nugs you need at least 600w, from what I can tell.

18. If it's possible, leave it in a warm sunny window as much as you can till you get more light. Sun is the best light on the market, also free when available. That'll fatten them buds up. ️

19. Hps makes the buds dense...,or led not mh

Take a look at my first grow - 312w CFL Northern Lights Blue
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1354269-My-first-grow---Norther-Lights-Blue-by-delicious-312-watt-CFL-grow

20. That's a good idea but the sun isn't set on 12/12 in my part of the world atm haha