why are immigrants hated on so much?

Discussion in 'General' started by dezz, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Man, you really hate immigrants for not perfecting their English..

2. It goes back to caveman thinking- a deep-seated, primal suspicion of other tribes because they might steal their hunting ground and rape their women. Since tribes back then were affiliated by factors like skin colour, head shape and origin of birth (much like today, to a lesser extent), one looking different to the majority tribe uproots that primal fear and manifests in xenophobia/racism.

3. [quote name='"BigToka"']By illegal immigrants, I assume you're talking about the ones from Mexico, right? Taking ethnicity out of the question (because I'm above racism), I dislike illegal immigrants because:

-They don't pay taxes like the rest of us
    -They don't suffer any consequences when they commit crimes such as driving without a license (they could even commit manslaughter and get away with it)
    -This country is overpopulated, introducing illegal immigrants only makes this worse
    -Overpopulation leads to: housing problems, congestion in the cities (i.e. overcrowding in building, higher traffic, ect.)
    -Lots of illegal immigrants come here solely to cause crime, i.e. the gangmembers / drug trafficking (hardcore stuff, like coke)
    -Not speaking the national language, English
    -The whole "taking our jobs" thing

Don't get me wrong, I feel sympathetic for those that are simply trying to escape a difficult life, but by coming here illegally, they only make things worse for the rest of us.[/quote]

I agree except for the part about the illegal activities thing. Most of my relatives came here looking for work.
    I'm Mexican American, and they're Mexicans.
    It started in the 70's when my grandpa left my dad and my other uncles to come here to United States. My grandpa owned a bakery in Mexico so he knew how to bake, he crossed the border illegally and made his way to Chicago eventually. He worked in a bakery close to Pilsen where he was allowed to sleep in that bakery by the owners since he had no where to go.
    He sent money back to my grandma in Mexico to feed my dad, aunts and uncles. And he had just enough to get by.
    Once my dad tried to cross the border after he was old enough (After impregnating my mom with my sister) he contacted some coyotes (the people who traffic people across the border) to send him through. My dad told me that those coyotes raped a woman and her daughter of fourteen but they couldn't do anything because they were armed with weapons. At some point when they were resting the coyotes got drunk and threatened to kill my dad and the rest of the group.
    Once they were knocked out by the booze the group went without the coyotes for the fear that they might get shot at.
    And while they were crossing el Rio Grande the current was so strong that they had to link each other s arms so no one would get carried away. And my dad told me that one of the guys didn't know how to swim, so he panicked and let go. My dad saw this man get carried away never to be seen by them again.
    Then all my uncles and aunts came to work illegally. But they ended up getting their green cards. Some of my uncles and one of my aunt's is a citizen now.
    They own their own businesses and employ people.
    My point is that everyone comes for an opportunity, my family happened to succeed quite well, thanks to USA. My grandpa now owns his own bakery business, owns, 2 houses in Chicago and one in Mexico. My aunts' a hard work ended them up in a high middle class suburb with houses that cost 300,000. My mom is a manager of a big store chain here, and is going to be college to be a chef.
    We're all people just looking for a way to survive.

4. [quote name='"BigToka"']By illegal immigrants, I assume you're talking about the ones from Mexico, right? Taking ethnicity out of the question (because I'm above racism), I dislike illegal immigrants because:

-They don't pay taxes like the rest of us
    -They don't suffer any consequences when they commit crimes such as driving without a license (they could even commit manslaughter and get away with it)
    -This country is overpopulated, introducing illegal immigrants only makes this worse
    -Overpopulation leads to: housing problems, congestion in the cities (i.e. overcrowding in building, higher traffic, ect.)
    -Lots of illegal immigrants come here solely to cause crime, i.e. the gangmembers / drug trafficking (hardcore stuff, like coke)
    -Not speaking the national language, English
    -The whole "taking our jobs" thing

Don't get me wrong, I feel sympathetic for those that are simply trying to escape a difficult life, but by coming here illegally, they only make things worse for the rest of us.[/quote]

Bit here's the question who are you to deny a person a living?

5. I have no beef with illegal immigrants.
    My cleaning lady is illegal, and her son was born here. now he has oppertunities that he might never have known if he lived in his parents country. His dad got caught up on some drug charges and sent back, but the mom is still here and she's a good person.

Their countries are often much worse, so really I don't mind them coming here.

Its absolutely fabricated bullshit that they deliberately avoid learning English. English is a hard motherfucking language to learn. They obviously were poor in their home country, and obviously those countries have shit education for poor people, so why expect them to magically learn the language? Is it really so bad to need to use gestures and translators to communicate? I enjoy the experience.

I spend some time volunteering at a thrift store, which gets a lot of immigrant customers.
    Spanish is heard daily as they shop, and often I think they avoid asking for help because they don't know enough english, but I'd rather they tried.

Recently, a middle eastern woman came in and was trying to buy some clothes and find out what the prices were, but she didn't even know her numbers in english, so I simply showed her using my fingers. It wasn't a big deal, and it inspired me to learn my numbers in Arabic.
    1 - Wahed
    2 - Ithnan
    3 - Thalatha
    4 - Arba'a
    5 - Khamsa
    6 - Sitta
    7 - Sab'a
    8 - Thamanya
    9 - Tes'a
    10 - Ashara

These people need to feed their families and if you put political bullshit above that, then you're part of the problem. And if you lose your job to them, i say this:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lqEID2MkKk]Jimmy Carr on Poles - YouTube[/ame]

Language barriers are not so hard to overcome, and if you were born in america and all you amounted to was a job that an immigrant could take from you, then accept that.

6. I don't like illegal immigrants and they all need to be sent back to where they came from. They don't pay taxes, and take advantage of shit they shouldn't get. My dad is a German immigrant, he waited years to get a citizenship, unlike the people that just hop the border. And They refuse to learn English, we speak English in the united states not fucking Spanish.

7. I don't have a problem with the ones that want to work and have a better life but here in south texas it seems there are a lot more that come over and commit crimes rather than work...we already have enough crime in America. (And i dont mean drugs i mean robbing and hurting people.)

8. Alright will someone provide me one fledgling, itsy bitsy piece of evidence that at all, in any way, illegals deliberately avoid learning english, despite how much easier their lives would be?!?!?

Thats gotta be the stupidest shit I've ever heard.
    Its xenophobic nationalism disguised in terrible logic and baseless accusations.

where's the evidence at Purp Skurp??

9. How many people in the US are from immigrant descent? all of us except for native americans (which i am). only the ignorant discriminate, i think immigrants are a good thing. Now illegal immigrants should probably just do it legally. It's the criminals who traffic people across the border and carry drugs and weapons in. Those are the immigrants we need to stop. Because they are CRIMINALS not immigrants. They are criminals no matter what country they came form.

10. It's engrained in our society.

11. i think it its because the illegal ones don't pay taxes, now i dont see where anybody would hate an immigrant that is legal to live, and went through all the test and stuff to legally live here, i see why people dont like someone who is not living here illegally, its not really fair for the immigrants who busted their asses trying to live here legally; also dont understand why a lot of people seem to think just about everyone from mexico is illegal, its not true.

also alot of illegal immigrants dont learn english, even though its not the official language, its very well known that it is the most used language here, obviously

most illegal immigrants i have seen do not speak english at all, i would understand if you speak your native language to friends and family, but to expect a cashier who doesnt speak your language, automatically know it, its obsurd;

if the illegal immigrants would pay taxes, and do everything else that we, and legal immigrants have to, i don't think there would be a big deal about this

all that being said, whether your living here illegal or not, if your nice to me, i'll be nice to you

12. Think of it like this. You and your entire family pays taxes. A mexican jumps the border and crosses into the USA. That mexican gets shot in a gang related shooting and goes to the hospital. That tax money that your family pays is also helping pay for that illegal immigrants hospital bill. Why should us hardworking tax payers have to fund an illegal who did not have to work for that money and doesnt even belong here in the first place. It goes on and on, this is only the tip of the ice berg.

13. How would you know? That's just a stereotype.

14. Considering that Europeans came to this continent to rape, pillage and exploit the native populace while exploiting others who we kidnapped from their native continent...Do any of us (white anglo saxon folk) have any high ground to stand on?

15. Because America is full of rednecks.

16. I agree completely. If you immigrate to any other country you learn their language or you can't do anything. That's the one thing that immigrants do that just pisses me off. If you're gonna come here for a better future you could atleast try and assimilate. Then they seem to expect everyone to work to accomodate them and seem offended when you don't.

17. Have you ever seen a white man work hours in the field picking potatoes? Thought so.

18. ^ actually yes me and my cousin did it to make money. You can make 3k a month if you work hard.

19. [quote name='"Delluhsion"']
    Have you ever seen a white man work hours in the field picking potatoes? Thought so.[/quote]

Sounds a hell of a lot better than an office job. Lol

20. Also lol @ picking potatoes

They grow underground.