Why are hamburgers called hamburger

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Hashuana, Aug 5, 2013.

1. It's not made out of pork but it's a hamburger....

Why don't they call it a beefburger?

Any opinions are welcome at this point....

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 WaxPayne, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
    The common belief is that the American hamburger borrowed its name from a dish called "Hamburg Style Beef" or "Hamburg Steak" which arrived in the United States from the German city of Hamburg in the 19th century. The dish was nothing more than chopped meat eaten raw.
    The ground-beef hamburger and bun sandwich combination that we are all familiar with today first appeared in America at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis.
    Here is a link to some more hamburger trivia from the Iowa Beef Industry Council and a link to a page dedicated to the 1904 World's Fair.

Read more: How the hamburger was named | Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/hamburger-named.html#ixzz2b7ppsBNj

http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/hamburger-named.html

Also look on the Wikipedia page for a volume of history on the dish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger

3. I'm familliar with that style of eating the burger
    The raw meat method is a European dish I think Belgian because my gm makes it
    She makes it put of fillet mignon it's raw but she mixes it with some good shit and eat it with fries it's bomb!!!!!

4. why are womens underwear called panties when they conceal one thing, and their chest support undergarment called a bra when it conceals two things?

5. *seinfeld impression* hamburgers?-, have you heard of this?-, these hamburger things? a piece of beef between 2 buns, NO HAM.
    WHATS UP WITH THAT?

6. cheeseburgers are awesome.

7. aaaaannndd whats the deal with airline food, folks! Who are they trying to keep out of these peanuts! You cant open the darn things! 

8. because they started in a place called Hamburg, Germany. /Thread

9. Interesting

10. Spot on man spot on

11. Yep yet they are iconic in American culture.  That's some shit.

12. haha ur funny for this thread

13. I assume you mean steak tartare, which is French.

14. Same thing they call it filet americain
    U call it steak tartare :huh:

15. Everyone calls it steak tartare.....lol....the dish you're talking about there is apparently Belgium's twist on the classic steak tartare. Same ingredients but different ratios and served differently it seems.

16. Actually had this thought yesterday

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Budwieser was also a german company, which is now a US staple. thats some shit

18. In Belgium, steak tartare is served with fries. A variation of steak tartare, used normally as a sandwich spread, is known as “filet américain” (lit. American fillet) or “américain préparé”. It is mostly served with onions and more seasoning than a regular steak tartare.

This was taken from the Wikipedia page of steak tartare .....

And it's much better than the French steak tartare
    Generally Belgian food is basically better French food....
    Anyone who knows good food knows Belgians do it better than the french....

19. ...isn't that exactly what I said?