Why are Europeans so different from Americans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Buddha_Man, May 9, 2011.

1. Over a thousand more years of history, culture and all around existence will do that to a people.

2. Eyes like a husky.:smoke:
    For the record, I eat a lot of Burger King. lol

3. #105 Freshfed, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Ahaha... Good to see an irish lass embracing her heritage lol ;)

4. I have an idea. What if we just periodically swapped continents? Like mass migration just like the birds. We'll make it so it's summer and spring year round for everybody.

I for one don't believe in the 'American dream'. It feels like an excuse for society to make you do what it wants in a round about way. considering society's opinion seems almost exclusively controlled by the media and large corporations nowadays, the American dream is basically just to go work your ass off into the ground for some company a big corporate bank owns so that you can pay back the same bank the hundreds of thousands of dollars you borrowed to go to college (so that you you could get a job in the first place).

It's all really gross to me. I sincerely plan on moving to the UK about as soon as I can. First of all I can stand my family and most of them have convictions and won't be able to follow me, and two, there's no good reason I can find compelling me to stay. Quite the contrary. Hell even the monarchy, what us Americans have had drilled into our heads since kindergarten as abhorrent, seems bounds better than the scandalous celeb BS our Presidential candidates and winners surround themselves with. How could it possibly be worse to have a royal family concerned with dignity, grace, respect, and especially honor?

Also, I can't stand honor. I must've read an English novel when I was younger or something because it gives me a headache just about to see favour written favor. Or to see the red line marking it wrong on this computer. If only @ and " weren't switched when you change the language so my family wouldn't care.

Well, enough ranting. Time to go play with my terriers. lmao

5. Because Britain is a constitutional monarchy, not a democracy.
    This means the ruling monarch has near-absolute power over what happens in the country, it's only a tradition that they do what the prime minister and public ask them to.
    We might see a change in this once lizzie dies (if she ever dies).

6. Nice rant - it's important to remember that the grass is never really greener on the outside, but sure come to the UK, you will enjoy it, our history will blow you away, then just step foot into Europe and travel back through a thousand years of culture & history......

........failing that just get baked, shag some fine euro arse & drive as fast as you like legally down the German autobahn :bongin:

7. #109 Freshfed, May 11, 2011
    Hahaha sorry but NO, wrong. It's quite the opposite my friend, The monarchy has no power over what's happens here, parliament has control and the party (or parties) that are elected... Full democracy. The monarchy traditionally sign of on things but government has control not the queen... The Royal family is more of a tourism cash machine these days, sure we are traditionally still the queens people etc but she couldn't do jack shit to change the nation alone as you elude to here. Peace!

8. #110 Verdurous, May 11, 2011
    It's her grandson though. (From what I understand The Prince of Wales isn't really consider so as much as Prince William...) If they have a billionth the relationship I have with my gma, the only one in the fam I can stand halfway, then he should have some of the same values.

And I mean The Queen is probably going to be remembered most for the amount of freedom she pours out. I'm sure all the monarchs of Europe rolled over in their grave the way she gave so many territories their independence. Surely she's taught her grandson absolute power isn't everything, but rather service to your people. That's like her main deal and has been since she swore it over the radio on her 18th or 21st birthday (pretty sure it's one of the two).

9. #111 gedio, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
    Just because you're uneducated on the subject doesn't mean i'm wrong.
    The queen has literally all the power, she does as the prime minister asks her simply out of good faith (and because it'd spark a civil war if she done otherwise).

No leaders in this country are elected, the ruling monarch chooses at her will, it's only a tradition that she chooses the candidate that got the most votes. She can also get rid of the prime minister at will,call for a general election and dissolve parliament, overrule any military descicion and declare war or peace with any country. No act of law or legislation is official without royal consent (meaning the queen has to sign it or it's invalid).

There's literally tons of shit she has the power to do.

Britain is a constitutional monarchy, not a democracy. That's the one thing they leave out of history in the UK: Cromwell's revoution didn't entirely work.
    Even if the queen had no power, are we being given a referrendum on europe? No, so how the hell could it be a full democracy.

Personally i'm all for ousting the lot of them and setting up a proportionally represented republic.

10. #112 Verdurous, May 11, 2011
    It appears to me that there's a nice equilibrium between what you assert here and what (I'm on my iTouch and can't see their post anymore) the other person said. It just depends on whether or not you see it as Her Majesty allowing the monarchy to limit her absolute power and is actually a mere extension of it, or as the constitution recreating the royal powers with it's creation and doing away with the ancient establishment.

11. #114 gedio, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  12. #115 Freshfed, May 11, 2011
    Ok first of I don't think my post warranted you saying I'm uneducated in the subject, as I've lived the 25years of my life in the UK I'd say I'm pretty educated in the REALITY of how things go. Fair enough she does have powers but to implement a ruling that goes against that which the people had chosen would surely be detrimental to the monarchy if she did, As you say, civil war. I'd say the fact that she has the ability to exercise rule is more symbolic and and artefact of history than anything else, the reality, I feel, is that democracy and the people (subjects :p) do rule primarily. Oh and I agree with you on the get them out part haha. Peace

13. #116 Verdurous, May 11, 2011
    There's a good point here. It would surely take a good civil war and plenty of private funding to overtake the thrown. I still feel, though, that when it comes to the true fact of whether or not she legally has absolute power, it depends on whether or not parliament is constituted by the royal prerogative or not. Is the constitution of the royal prerogative? Considering The Queen has the power to dissolve it at will (arguably under certain justifiable circumstances) it makes you wonder.

14. I assumed you were uneducated on the subject when you said "hahaha no, wrong".

Well, we vote in people who rule us. I wouldn't say the people had much power in this country.

The way this country's headed seems to be a strange cross between 1984 (in terms of surveillance) and brave new world.

On a good note at leasts Clegg's actually going to start being a dick to the Tories now. Dummy out of pram over the way the tories behaved over AV, clearly, but it'll work in our benefit.

15. #118 Verdurous, May 11, 2011
    I have no clue what you just said. lol Goes to show you how much of a narcissistic brat America is, especially when it comes to education. It wasn't until a few weeks ago I was bothered to look up the distinction between the UK, England, and Britain in my spare time.

16. #119 Freshfed, May 11, 2011
    Ok fair play, I often neglect context or that texts don't automatically generate the correct prosody I intend to express.

We do vote in those people, in the wider scope of things, we have it pretty good, although totally agree about surveillance! The political system is inherently flawed and corrupt, and I by no means think it's the best or true freedom but I still pertain it has actively shaped our country more than the queen in recent years. I guess it's how you perceive/accept being a 'subject'... Perhaps my rejection of this is biasing my stance of control in the country...alas reality is as you perceive it lol.

17. #120 Freshfed, May 11, 2011
    Haha at-least you bothered! Did you see the interview where that Bieber kid said that " sorry we don't use that word in the U.S" lol and the word... Germany lol