why are bottom fan leaves yellow up and die

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by samuel1976, Jun 14, 2010.

1. #1 samuel1976, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
    first time grower in top-feed hydroponic system 100 % legal purple kush and blue cheese. RO water with CNS-17 5ml. per 5 gallon + voodoo juice 2 ml. per 5 gallon in a 25 gallon water supply and the p.h is balancing out at 6.3 . the medium is strictly 100MEDIA_IMAG0041.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0042.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0045.jpg perlite with a light layer of hydroton to keep perlite debris from blowing onto leaves if top gets too dry. they are 7 days old and i am really worried because the bottom fan leave on some of em are completely yellowing up and looks like what are dying but the new leaves above it are looking awesome i could be wrong but when i first put them in i didn't wet the perlite COMPLETE NOOBIE MISTAKE!!! i went around the outside of medium and sprayed down with a sprayer to kinda wet the medium that i was suppose to wet before putting clones in. but do you think that maybe the over spray when wetting the medium could have done this please respond as i would like to correct the things ive done wrong a.s.a.p. here are some pictures of what im talking about, also please tell me if the watering cycle i have them on is too much for them i have them to water every 3 1/2 hours for 15 min each time on the count of medium is only perlite please help

2. They look older than 7 day mate.
    I wouldn't worry so much about them lower fan leaves, they will die off anyway.
    Your pH is too high for hydro mate, you need to bring it down to around pH5.8, the plant will be locking out certain nutrients, which could be the cause of the lower leaves using up the stored sugars and dying off.
    I've never use a top feed hydro system, so i can't comment on your setup, i'd rather have the nutrient solution below ground (in the dark), so light doesn't get to it. Light, nutrients and air (oxygen) are a breeding ground for mould, algea and pathegons. Would it be possible to bury the feed tube under the hydroton? It may prevent problems later on down the line.

3. Know that you mention it they ate more definitely older then 7 day the thing is they where clones picked em up at harborsideoakland on the count of recommendation. But I've only had em 7 day but me being a noobie I didn't ask em when I bought em,after reading your post I've been tempted to call tha dispencery.but haven't since its been going on a week but ya I've just lower tha p.h. to 5.8 thank you on the info. So should I just leave em be and let nature take its course or should I cut them?

4. Clones will loose those lower leave, i wouldn't worry, plus being clones, they are mature plants, they can take full strength nutrients when they have established roots, so don't be afraid to feed them.

5. great too hear, may i please also ask, when topping off my water supply ,when i when i put the ph tester in the top of the 5 gallon RO water im going to use it reads at 7.0, should i use ph down to get it to 5.8 add to the water supply then ph test it again and make that proper ph adjustment, or should i just put the RO water with a reading of neutral 7.0 in water supply then adjust the p.h. ???????

6. Yep, switch off your feed pump.
    Then lower the pH RO water to pH5.8,
    add it to the nutrient solution,
    stur it up,
    wait a while (around half an hour) til it settles.
    Then pH adjust it to pH5.8,
    switch your feed pump back on.
    Come back an hour and pH adjust it again if needs be.