Why are Americans so ignorant of their own history?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TheDecline, Nov 20, 2009.

1. I am talking specifically about the Revolutionary period and our Founding Father's.

I am tired of hearing about how George Washington was such a racist because he had slaves and that a bunch of old white crackers made a racist system.

These fools baffle me because if it was not for the fact that slavery was incompatible with the Revolutionary ideals and with the spirit of our Constitution and Bill of Rights there may have been slavery in America much longer, or even still today.

Blame falls on the low quality of most educators, the Prussian school system we adopted, and idiotic race baiting propaganda. For some reason "they" do not want us to know the truth of our own history and it is quite disturbing.

2. we're a lazy people and our public school system is a joke.

3. America has like one of the poorest educational systems of all the developed nations. Ignorance is to be expected to a certain degree.

4. Agreed, I went to public schools in Los Angeles that were terrible and I didn't learn shit about the subject. I am not an expert but through reading books on the subject and some primary sources I have learned a great deal of truth.

In most other countries people probably know their own history at least.

It is extremely pathetic that Americans are so lazy they don't want to pick up a book and learn something this important.

5. i'll let this graph speak for itself:

[​IMG]

6. After highschool, I found that the majority of information learned in highschool, in subjects such as history/social studies and the like, was more accurately misinformation, for the most part.

7. Ok so let's say that the framers were not racist, just capitalist minded slave holders. You still can not deny the fact that there were several things in the constitution that held back the advancement of blacks as well as women (Voting for example).

And just to clear things up for you, the civil war had nothing to do with slavery, the North went to war to preserve the Union and that was all, ending slavery was just a bi-product of the war.

8. It's not that they are lazy its they are not motivated to do so.

The best teacher I have ever had was not even a teacher he was a Sub and Substituted for my history teacher for 2 months while she was having a kid. This guy never read from a book and just taught "history" not literature. He really inspired my interest in history and to this day my TV is always stuck on the History Channel and I am always fascinated at how our country was developed.

However if I was never introduced to this guy I probably would have never had any interest in History. Teachers don't teach anymore they just cram shit in your head to pass tests then after which all of that knowledge is lost because its not used.

The American that does not now his/her History will be no different in life than the person who does they can both have the same job, same house, same finances.

This is kind of along the lines of other countries nailing America because majority of our country only knows 1 language where a lot of Europeans know 3-4 on average. This is all because I am not motivated in knowing another language because it will not benefit me at all. Call me ignorant or lazy it doesn't matter because if I go learn Mandarin my life will not change at all.

9. If slavery was so incompatible with said ideas then why did it last nearly 100 years after the Declaration of Independence?

I'm afraid all our founding fathers were racists, and sexists. They were your typical 18th Century men with a bit more money than most.

JG

10. Lol, yeah John Adams was incredibly sexist :rolleyes:. In reality, in the original draft of the declaration, there was a clause advocating anti-slavery ideas, it was removed because the vote for independence had to be a unanimous decision, and the southern colonies demanded that it be removed. So it was a choice between no slaves, or independence, and we chose the latter.

11. You do not understand the situation. If they outright abolished slavery they never would have had popular support for the Union. The states were very different and distrusting of the authority of a federal government. The United States most likely would have falled apart had the Founding Fathers tried to impose too much regulation too quickly from the Federal level.

You know blacks who fought under Washington were emancipated right? Also, he could not easily free all of his slaves because many were property of his wife's estate. They were dower slaves and technically passed to her next of kin and were not even legally her's, but property of her estate. He also refused to break up their families and many of his own inherited slaves and his wife's intermarried. Not to mention his central role was to preserve the fragile union and freeing his slaves could have been very detrimental considering the political climate of the era. He solved this problem by freeing them posthumously.

You call them racists but fail to address the point that the ideals that they held lead to the eventual abolition of slavery. Slavery existed before them and while they did not directly abolish slavery, they charted a course for its eventual demise through the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Another point I might add is that everyone has to fight for freedom from Americans to blacks. The civil rights movement was their fight, and because of America they eventually gained equal status under the law.

People who do not respect the Founding Father's are biting the hand that feeds them (Constitution and Bill of Rights) and if the principles were followed today we would be much better off for it.

12. #12 TheDecline, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2009
    Untrue, if Americans all knew our true history we would be much better off on an individual level.

Our Constitution and Bill of Rights protects the individual from government.

Nothing would be how it is today, we would have a much more free and prosperous society.

Without money from a huge income tax, property tax, and thousands of other taxes for our overinflated government to waste people would have more money in their pockets.

With less regulation we could bring industry back to America and once again have a booming economy.

We would not tolerate the level of political corruption, government waste, insane foreign policy, blatant propaganda, and the manipulation of the majority of idiots into oppressing the minority which is the opposite in a REPUBLIC such as ours. (for most think we live in a democracy, which the Founding Father's despised because they are oppressive) I would conclude that it is VITAL for every American to know our history and traditional values, because if they do not we will perish from within. And many would argue that that is happening and has been for some time.

Also check out this link and learn more than the history channel will ever teach you. This explains the reasoning behind our form of government.

http://www.foundingfathers.info/federalistpapers/

13. Slavery was always unconstitutional.

The Unconstitutionality of Slavery by Lysander Spooner

Spooner was an abolitionist who did not think killing 600,000 Americans was necessary to end slavery.

14. #14 Arteezy, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2009
    I actually had a decent education in terms of World History. I was in an AP class with a good teacher. One of the first things she taught us was how to see the bias in history.

As for US history, that was a joke. I was in AP course for that too, but our textbook was obviously biased towards making the US look good and the teacher never really lectured.

15. <3 Lysander Spooner...

The American Letter Mail Company was pretty good until the government forced him out of business. Way to support capitalism, US government!

16. This country was built on hypocrisy.

17. How so?

18. Ever heard the line, "all men are created equal"?

19. Obviously, what of it?

20. No argument with your last statement, but this part "from Americans to blacks" sure does have me scratching my head. Blacks are not Americans?

JG