Why am i so scientific all the time? it spills into my high to much

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sc0pe, Sep 12, 2013.

1. I spend my days looking at things and calculating all the time like when to step where in a crowd and how much food i can put on a plate without it falling and then when im drinking or smoking weed it becomes a matter of how much more to have or random things, i feel like im thinking to much and arent enjoying my social life

2. lol dude, I totally do the same thing, except maybe a little differently. 

I feel somewhat distanced from the subjective experience of the average human, and am instead involved in daily calculations and determinations, in attempts to categorize and contemplate all the separate life experiences that I am subject too.

3. I as well have had the same issue in the past where life becomes overwhelmed with caculations and details. What help me out with this was to engage in right brain stimulating activities while im high. It was very hard at the beginning because i was so used to the details and calculations, so being high just sunk me deeper into calculations. Trying to go with the flow with lets say playing music or drawing or writing was something I would have to almost force myself to enjoy. After a while though if you enjoy what your doing youll find the high actually benifits because it will help you to get lost in the moment and just go with the flow. Its really just a choice to make to work out both halfs of your brain. Take it slow and build on it and before you know it your brain wont be left and right and other parts it will be one.

If you balance your left and right brain you will balance your life

4. #4 Sam_Spade, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
    that's called OCPD, not "scientific".

There are a number of highly-successful behavioural therapies you can look into if your thoughts are too intrusive.

5. Hmm. I think it is something you have to prioritize in your head. Moderation. If you are in a hurry for a good reason, calculating your movement through a crowd is also reasonable. If you are not in a hurry, free your mind to other things. It will take some time as your brain adjusts its habits.

6. You just put the way I feel into words. I've been trying to explain this detachment from everyday life to myself for months, and you did it in a single sentence. Hats off to you sir.  :hello:

7.  There are now excellent therapies to help with both of your conditions, think of them as a mix of OCD and low level aspergers, nothing awful, but they will tend to take over how you think from time to time, particularly when you're under stress.

MelT

8. Lol don't think of it as a negative condition, it makes you unique. I know it sometimes gets frustrating, but i find it fairly easy treat as long as you have healthy social interactions that allow you to involve yourself emotionally. It's a gift in some way if you ask me.

9. I didn't say it was a negative condition, but that it's treatable and accounts for the OP.

As for making people 'unique' it would depend on the symptoms as to whether it made anyone unique good or unique bad, it isn't a gift, but a mental condition.

MelT

10. #10 Sam_Spade, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013

I say the same thing to people with rapid-cycling bi-polar disorder.

People whine too fucking much. People just need to change entirely how they feel about themselves and the world around them. Complacency is the name of game when it comes to socio-behavioural issues. Easiest thing in the world.

Why bother with the methodological approaches of clinically-proven therapies when you can simply just tell them to buck up and think differently? Don't get me starded on those PTSD cry babies.

11.  The mind is a wonderful thing.
    \tHow Is Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Diagnosed?Bipolar disorder is diagnosed after someone experiences a hypomanic or manic episode along with multiple additional episodes of either mania, hypomania, mixed episodes, or depression. Rapid cycling bipolar disorder is diagnosed after four episodes of depression, mania, or hypomania occur within one year.  "Rapid cycling" is not in itself a diagnosis, but rather, a course specifier for bipolar disorder that describes the pattern and frequency of episodes during a one year period.  Rapid cycling can occur at any time in the course of bipolar disorder and may come and go at varying points over a lifetime course of illness.
    Rapid cycling bipolar disorder can be difficult to diagnose. Rapid cycling may seem to make bipolar disorder more obvious, but because most people with rapid cycling bipolar disorder spend far more time depressed than manic or hypomanic, they are often misdiagnosed with "just" depression. 
    For example, in one study of people with bipolar II disorder, the amount of time spent depressed was more than 35 times the amount of time spent hypomanic. Also, people often don't take note of their own hypomanic symptoms, mistaking them for a period of unusually good mood.

12. #12 Sam_Spade, Sep 13, 2013
    exactly! crybabies!

They just need to try harder to have healthy social interactions.

It's a gift in some way if you ask me.

13. #13 pickledpie, Sep 13, 2013
    Lol

We're talking about something that is completely different. The op likened his issue with what I described as being my own. It doesn't cause problems in my life, it only limits my involvement in social interaction, which inevitably makes me feel slightly depressed at my inability to be emotionally involved. You're getting to excited making correlations that don't exist.

I have close friends and family with whom I am comfortable expressing myself with, when I spend more time with them, I find it therapeutic, simple as that.

Who the fuck was talking about rapid cycling bi-polar disorder anyways?

14. #14 Sam_Spade, Sep 13, 2013

Yeah, you just described insular complacency.

I'm just chit chatting about behavioural mood disorders. I'm agreeing with you. For some reason it's as if you hadn't considered the deeper implications of your assessment on the issue.

15. When I'm stoned I dont give a f who i bump into or whose foot i step on while walking. I go to a buffet with the raging munchies and food is falling off my plate like a monsoon in the fuji islands. Like shaddytheman says: "I just don't give a fuck!"

16. #16 MelT, Sep 13, 2013
    :)

I used to have OCD, which for various reasons went away. I still have problems with numeracy and bad dyslexia. Interestingly I found that much of it was down to diet, and made worse by gluten (about 24% of people who eat gluten suffer various side-effects like depression, etc.) and a sensitivity to aspartame that I didn't recognise until quite late in life. Want to watch a relatively sane person go utterly nuts? Give them gluten the night before, aspartame with breakfast and a tiny bit of stress. Worryingly effective and something I wish more people were aware of, foods do nasty things to the mind.

I've had a couple of friends commit suicide who were at their peak and the happiest, most together people I knew. I've also heard of perfect family men who simply decided to kill themselves or their family for for no apparent reason, and I really do think that if anyone had something just slightly worse than I had, they would be up on the proverbial water tower with a sniper's rifle just because they ate the wrong combination of foods.

I rarely feel gifted, but on the bright side, it does help with some areas of the stuff I research, as I have a good memory for abstract shapes and sounds too for some reason.

MelT

I thought that was Eminem :smoke:

18. I simply suffer from Weberian modernity.

Obviously in denial......:)

MelT

20. I'm the same way but mathematical, I always think about my own presence and the things around me, like one desk, one computer screen, three socks on the bed, half a cup of juice.