why aint jiffy pellets working for me?...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by abige69, May 31, 2015.

1. wont the hell am i doing wrong wiv jiffy pellets (-those flat round things that swell up in water)? i soak them then drain/squeeze excess water, ive try wiv seeds & cuttings but everything dies! this is getting really annoying

2. Some people think Jiffy pellets are too acidic or dry out too quickly and lead to problems.  To quote a friend of mine who tried them, "Fuck those fucking Jiffy pellets!" 

Heres a good tutorial from Mandela Seed Co. on what to do and not to do for successful germination.  I'm sure lots of people have used Jiffys succesfully or any of the do nots in the tutorial, but have a look anyway.

http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

3. yes, I had very bad results when I tried to use them

but I have 100% when I use Jiffy Seed Starting Mix

I don't know what's in there and I don't want to know, looks like fine grounded vermiculite or gypsom to me

I always soak my seeds for 24 hours or until they crack, I never allow the taproot to protrude

4. I'm not so sure it is the brand, like last time I needed something to order from amazon to get free shipping so I ordered some Epsoma Seed Starting Mix. Haven't opened it or used it yet but I'm sure it will do fine. But a seed starting mix, any seed starting mix will provide your seeds with the proper environment that they love.

5. I also have the jiffy pellets in the jiffy greenhouse and they do just fine for me, but I also took the net off of the dirt before anything, and am using the starting mix now. 

6. The first time I used jiffy pellets I had almost an almost 100% success rate. Every time since then.. nothing. I now either put them in so Bushdoctors soil and water them daily, or set them in rockwool cubes and squirt them with warm water daily. That's the only way that I was able to get my super silver haze to work after trying on three separate occasions.

7. glad its just not me,i get better results in cheapo soil from B&Q & water cloning!, tried both cuttings & seeds & even my garden herbs dont like them
    lesson learnt me thinks
    [​IMG]

8. I hate them, they stay too wet imo. Rapid rioters or root riot cubes work 100x better than peat pellets.