Why a male's penis is shaped the way it is..

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by ride-KAWASAKI-, Apr 15, 2010.

1. couple things

its doubtful it was useful to us 1000 years ago....its possible it wasnt even useful for the most recent "iterations" on the evolutionary chain... we may not have used it for competitive purpose for hundreds of thousands of years...

and, id be willing to bet that we arent the only mammals, or even primates, to have a helmet on our penis, which would allow scientists to observe the natural purpose for the formation first hand.

and lastly, about us evolving, there's a pretty good argument that we are now evolving faster than ever before, because of the advance of technology. Think about it, we used to evolve to overcome an obstacle (virus, environmental factor, predation, etc). This would take multiple generations to realize a minute change, and provide for a very slow visible evolution. With technology though, we can eradicate a virus, protect ourselves from environmental hazards (through warning/prevention, or relocation), we are the top of nearly all food chains (no real threat of predation).... id say we have the ability to evolve so fast, we cant call it evolution any more :D

2. How exactly does a lack of need to change equal faster evolution?

3. Because all the monkeys without sperm scooping penises kept gettin the their sperm scooped out, and eventually more monkeys had sperm scoops.

4. That doesn't answer my question at all. The monkeys without sperm scooping penises had a reason to develop sperm scoops. We have no reason to develop anything anymore. Instead we create things to aide us.

5. Ah, I see what you're saying now.

6. #26 gooback, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
    Evolution doesn't occur because of a need to change. It happens through random mutations in the DNA, those that produce advantageous traits get passed on through sexual selection, but it's all chance. ride[KAWASAKI] had it right about us not evolving because the humans with the best and worst DNA are getting to pass on their traits. Though on a small regional scale we are (people in Africa with sickle-cell anemia). I read an article somewhere that we're now culturally evolving rather then true evolution.

• Like Like x 1

7. agreed. Thanks for havin my back :hello:

8. I blame the cosmic rays

9. Thought it might've been one of our ancestors' shaft mushrooming open after the very first bust.

Then over time it healed and formed the mushroom tip.

10. I'm curious about one factor relating to the idea of why the human penis is shaped the way it is. If it is in fact to scrape out the sperm of other competing males then the first male would have to pull out immediately while ejaculating. Otherwise he would scrape his own cum out with a few plunges. I'm calling bullshit on this evolutionary explanation for the human penis.

Another thing to add is: If this information is true, then you could also say that penis size comes into play. The larger the penis (head) the tighter the fit; more sperm gets scraped out. So if the human penis is intended to scrape out competing sperm, then size would be a factor too.

11. perhaps to tickle the gspot

12. i dont know about you guys, but my penis isn't going to be anywhere near another guy's sperm any time soon

13. Very interesting, Im not sure whether its true or not. I figure its alot like dragonflies. They scrape other male's sperms out of the female with this lil biological scraper thing. Who knows, its all weird :smoking::hello:

14. Actually I read up on the matter. Apparently scientists examined my reasoning for disbelief in this theory. They do agree that penis size played/plays its part in males being able to "find a mate". A larger penis is more capable of removing sperm from a woman's vagina, as well as more capable of placing the sperm farther inside the woman's vagina. The larger penis places the sperm deeper in the vagina where a smaller penis wouldn't even be able to reach it to scrape it out.

I digressed a little there. Back to the point of the scraping. Scientists explained that after ejaculation, the man's penis becomes limp, the male is relaxed, and generally the sex ends there. However, today men don't stop because they cum, nor does the sex always end after one ejaculation. Just as men and women don't typically have multiple partners these days.

After checking into it though I believe this to be true. The human penis's size as well as shape can be attributed to competition between males to impregnate a woman.

15. +rep for the research :hello: thanks for clearin and confirming everything.. knowledge is power:smoking:

16. Oh, I see though. If anything it was way more beneficial for the man. If men were a lot more concerned with spreading their seed then having the larger penis was a huge advantage. This way their sperm couldn't get scraped out of a vagina. But damn, cavemen would just swap after having their turns or some shit?

17. Nobody can really say how the 'cavemen' fucked.

18. But wait a minute, thousands of years ago there was no such thing as circumcision. The head may not have actually been completely visible. And if you think about an uncircumcised penis going inside a vagina, as it goes in the foreskin goes down, exposing the head and pushing in sperm. But when it thrusts out, the foreskin pushes forward, covering the head therefore not removing other male sperm. So how do scientists explain that?

19. /thread

20. ^I know.

I had thought about this couple hours ago