Why 18/6 with hps?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kloneoner, Jan 9, 2009.

1. #1 kloneoner, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2009
    Why 18/6 during veg. with hps?

im just trying to get an understanding why. im starting my grow sooon..

2. It's not with just HPS where'd you hear that?

and it's better because it saves the bulb, electricity, and gives the plants a rest.

You can do 18/6 20/4 22/2 24/0 with any bulb that can be used for growing....

It's not bulb dependent.

3. It really does not matter which cycle you decdie for veg and type of light is not relevant to the light cycle.

As for saving the bulb, 24/0 saves the bulb and ballast more than a constant switching on/off everyday. I do not use HID anymore for veg, I find T-5 HO's give me better results and mor dense compact plants.

less

4. i dont want to create another thread so ill just ask here..

i was thinking about for my pots using 5 gallon water jugs cut down to about 11 inches

they are slightly see through and i was wondering if i should use somthing else bc i was thinking maybe its a bad idea to have some light hit roots and dirt and such..

5. I am running 24/0 and currently with the HPS, its entirely up to you. IMO you will get faster growth leaving the light on 24/7. In the warmer months I have been known to run 18/6 leaving the bulb and room to cool down during the warmest hours of the day. If everything permitting I would run 24/0.

6. Yes, it is a bad idea. Find something that light can't get through, or find a way to make them light proof.

Good luck.

7. thank you for the quick answer so i guess 5 gallon buckets r outta the idea as well

8. There are several trains of thought on the 18/6, 20/4, etc light cycles. Some claim that the plants need a rest (18/6 or 20/4) and others feel that they dont need any rest and use 24/0. You could research it and find five people that say five different things. As mentioned, sometimes the amount of heat generated by the lights or the effect of your interior box temperature due to the season (summer vs. winter) can determine what light cycle to use. I use an outdoor insulated grow box and use 20/4 during winter to keep the lights on longer and temps up when its really cold outside. During the spring or summer I generally use a 16/8 or 18/6 when its hotter outside. For vegging, I dont think you can screw up by using any one cycle. It often becomes a personal preference.