Whose vs. Who's

Discussion in 'General' started by Hello there!, Nov 15, 2012.

1. [quote name='"Fizzly"']
    Yes.

Although I read recently somewhere that it has been so misused and overused that it is becoming acceptable now -- much like "ain't," which when I was a kid it wasn't in the dictionary but it is now.

From dictionary.com:

Usage note
    Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. [/quote]

An ignorant desire. -_- It takes 3 seconds at the most to realize it's a redundant word with no meaning. It takes just as much time for the listener to figure that out and translate it - but who really wants to have to translate their own language? Personally, I'd go to another country if that was a goal.

2. But when it comes to war there is no comparison of course. In their lust for power, governments have the ability to really fuck things up.

Abolish political government and there would be no wars -- at least of any magnitude.

3. And you thought this thread was dead a few pages ago? :D

It might die off eventually if we could get rid of government schools.

4. [quote name='"Fizzly"']
    And you thought this thread was dead a few pages ago? :D

It might die off eventually if we could get rid of government schools.[/quote]

Or if people could just remember their English lessons. I went to a government school and it had no negative impact on what I learned as far as the language goes. People just choose to not embrace it.

5. I went to a government school too, but we couldn't graduate unless we were literate.

Today, apparently, the schools allow illiterate kids to graduate.

6. [quote name='"Fizzly"']
    I went to a government school too, but we couldn't graduate unless we were literate.

Today, apparently, the schools allow illiterate kids to graduate.[/quote]

Probably the whole 'no child left behind' bs. No drive? No worries, we've got a fund for that! And remember to thank your neighbors who do have drive!

7. ^^ I never had any kids so I'm really out of touch with any of the "programs"; however, the government still forces me to pay for it.

8. They are teaching to the test, allowing a skewed perception of learning. Not much critical thinking taught and the imaginative and competitive driven child is given drugs to get through the day.

9. It's certainly a good way to control the population -- keep them ignorant and illiterate.