Whose vs. Who's

Discussion in 'General' started by Hello there!, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Yeah.

They call TVs "idiot boxes" for a reason -- they're for entertainment. Not that everything on it is false but if you really want to learn something, TV is not the medium to use.

That stupid "History Channel" has turned everybody into a wannabe "expert" historian. A friend of mine is like this -- always rattling away about some historical event, and all he knows about it is what he saw on TV the night before.

I keep telling him that "history" is subjective and that the History Channel is entertainment, but he's so far gone I hardly bother anymore. I had a GF who was like this too.

IMO, cable TV has done as much to dumb down Americans as government schools have.

2. It's true. It's actually sickening to see some of the shows on TV nowadays. Most of the subject matter is just complete stupidity. I'd give some specific examples, but really, I'm sure we all can think of our own examples.

The solution to the education problem really is to read. Even if you're not being forced to read by an institution, people need to realize that reading is absolutely necessary, if only for their own self-improvement.

3. You mean that Nazis never worked with Aliens? :(

My whole life is a lie! :p

4. Yup.

FTR, I was referring mostly to the shows that are supposed to be educational, but often aren't -- like the History Channel.

Absolutely true! Learning by reading takes a real effort and dedication. With TV, you just lay on the couch like a sponge and absorb whatever comes at you. No real effort or thinking is required -- unlike with books.

WTF? I thought they did too! I saw it on TV, it must be true!

5. Hell, half the shows on the History channel aren't even about history, ffs! :p

Duck Dynasty? WTF is that shit, anyway? :razz:

6. i dont even own a television....

7. I don't have cable, so I've never even watched THC. I hear enough shit about it from other people to know it's mostly a joke.

Good for you! I grew up that way, but have a TV now. I watch a few sitcoms, but cuz I live alone it's more for just background noise than anything else.

8. I don't necessarily get mad for people making grammar mistakes but its usually common sense and being aware of the errors the person makes.

9. I absolutely love these threads :rolleyes:

10. I wouldn't be too sure it's just a joke. Some people really take that shit seriously. But, I digress, I'll stop derailing the thread now.

11. Well yes, that was my point. They think they're historical experts simply from watching a TV show.

"There are OTHER points of view on World War Two? No way! American historians have the truth, everyone else is full of shit!"

12. I agree wholeheartedly.

13. I am so grateful that my mom is a big reader and got me into books at a young age. My sister and I were allowed to watch at the most two hours of tv a day. And we only watched PBS. Usually an hour in the morning if we woke up early and an hour after school. When I was 9 my parents got rid of cable completely and to this day they still don't have it. I never had a tv or computer in my room.
    If I have kids I hope to raise them the same way. I can only imagine how horrible tv is going to be in 5-10 years :eek:

14. [quote name='"Fizzly"']
    Yup.

FTR, I was referring mostly to the shows that are supposed to be educational, but often aren't -- like the History Channel.

Absolutely true! Learning by reading takes a real effort and dedication. With TV, you just lay on the couch like a sponge and absorb whatever comes at you. No real effort or thinking is required -- unlike with books.

WTF? I thought they did too! I saw it on TV, it must be true![/quote]

"... you just lie on the couch..."

;):p

15. Heh, I gave up on the "lie, lay, laid, lain" thing in grammar school. It's one of those things that you just have to memorize -- there's no logical way to figure it out.

I do okay with logic, but not with memorization. :(

16. i have the same issue......
    can figure out almost anything......
    but cant tell you what i did last week...
    sometimes cant tell you what i did this am....

btw- fuck proper punctuation!!!!! another thing i can never remember....
    most often when i am typing...i can barely keep up with what i am trying to get out of my head...never mind trying to get all the fucking ;.?")!( shit where it belongs....

17. Try writing your random thoughts down, then go back and assemble them into sentences.

"Proofreading is your friend." :D

A side issue: why is your name in red? :confused:

18. he's an old school member.

19. i hear you...yet it rearly works out that way...more like...type...type...type...send!:eek:

i can show you....but if i tell you...i have to kill you....:eek:

red names =VIP/old school members......
    something RMJL decides who gets and who doesnt ....blades who have been here long time...made much contributions to the city....;):smoking:

20. Dis iz gayy imma spell how i wantt