Who's got the best Philadelphia cheese steaks?

Discussion in 'General' started by G13_Classified, Aug 8, 2009.

1. #1 G13_Classified, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
    The 3 big names in philly steaks i know of are Geno's (yuck), Pat's (Mmmm), and Jim's (unbeatable). Or other if you think you know a better place. If so name it and its location.

i also want to know how you like yours and what you put on it.

im an extra wiz steak witout. salt, pepper, ketchup. lots of ketchup.
    (for those not accustomed to proper cheese steak ordering etiquette, a plain steak with extra cheese wiz, without onions and without peppers.)

i know people love ketchup up here in the north but down south they think you're ruining it. when my friends said that i couldn't help but laugh, well knowing that thats just how its done in philly.

im actually gonna put up a poll for condiments as well, here it is--> http://forum.grasscity.com/general/441491-what-do-you-like-your-cheese-steak.html

2. IDK but this place in Phoenixville PA called "The Haven" and they had the BEST cheese steaks.

we got some good ones down here in SF, and they're damn good, but nothing beats a PA cheese steak

3. agreed. is the haven a chain of sorts? theres a place in charleston called "the haven" that advertises real philly steaks. i had one and they're pretty good.

but you've said it well, nothing does beat a PA steak

4. i like mine with provolone, fuck wiz, and with peppers and onions.

however id rather have a Primanti's with the slaw on the side

Attached Files:

5. is that a breakfast sandwhich? it does look delicious. ever been to five guys burgers and fries, those are some awesome burgers.

6. ^ its an any kind of sandwich you want. i usually get a version of a italian(ham capicola salami) then its got fries with melted cheese and then cole slaw(i get it on the side cause i dont like a shit ton of it)

7. mmmmm, i think i just came in my pants a little, lol

it looked like it had scramby eggs and home fries on it, thats why i asked if it was a breakfast sandwich.

8. I can make a damned good philly cheese steak. Not that I've had much to compare it to.

9. try steaks on south. i wasn't too big on Geno's but i've never had Pat's or Jim's.

10. cheez wiz and ketchup on a cheese steak? thats just outright disgusting. then you take out the peppers AND onions? are you even serious man?

steak w/ provolone, peppers and onions is the basic and the best. however, what seals the deal for any sandwich of this magnitude is the bread itself. has to be fresh baked with a slightly SLIGHTLY crisp outside but warm chewy inside.

cheez wiz and ketchup...wtf...

11. crossroads pizza in hellertown, pa
    best cheesesteaks.
    and i've had genos, jims, and pats. none compare.

i get a cali cheesesteak with hot and mozzarella. fuck whiz fosho.

12. agreed. I remember cheesesteaks and I would have never put cheezwiz and ketchup on it.

I liked mine with extra mushrooms.

13. I prefer Chickensteak

With that said.. I'd hit up Gennaros (12th and South)...

Pats and Genos are an experience though and Jim's is great if you're hanging out on South Street.

14. i wish i had one right now.

15. damn

I am hungry now.

16. #16 boomer bumper, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
    honestly... cheese steak factory. fuck you.

or corfoo's

edit: thanks alot OP. you just made me order a cheese steak even though i have dinner downstairs.. lol.

17. Jims, my ex bought me a cheese steak from that place and to this very day I've never had a better cheese steak... yet.

18. Pudge's

/thread

19. always go to Philly's here in Seattle. Pretty much the legit cheesesteak around here

[​IMG]

20. I voted "Other" because all the big name stores are kinda crap, and for tourists, IMHO. If you want GOOD cheesesteaks, hit up a mom and pop shop in a neighborhood somewhere. Ishkabibbles on South St. makes a pretty decent steak, too.

I'm an "american steak with" kinda guy, myself. A little ketchup is good, but not too much.

It's one of the most common cheese toppings used. Taken from wiki:

"Cheesesteaks should have a creamy cheese taste that does not dominate the sandwich.[15] White American cheese, Mozzarella, provolone, and Cheez Whiz are the most frequently used cheeses.[16]"

The thing that really separates REAL Philly steaks, from the imposters, is the rolls. The rolls they use are made with water from a local river, which gives the rolls a nice flaky crust. Taken from wikipedia:

"In Philadelphia most cheesesteak places use Amoroso or Vilotti-Pisanelli rolls.[11] One source writes that "a proper cheesesteak consists of provolone or Cheez Whiz slathered on an Amoroso roll and stuffed with thinly shaved grilled meat,"[12] while a reader's letter to an Indianapolis magazine, lamenting the unavailability of good cheesesteaks, wrote that "the mention of the Amoroso roll brought tears to my eyes."[13] After commenting on the debates over types of cheese and "chopped steak or sliced," Risk and Insurance magazine declared "The only thing nearly everybody can agree on is that it all has to be piled onto a fresh, locally baked Amoroso roll."[14]"