Who Writes this Ish?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dave_rabbit, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Hello all. Nice to be here at Grasscity...

Long time smoker, brand new grower. I just received my first batch of (Crop King) beans about a week ago and started the process of germination.
    First I tried the method outlined on the card my seeds came with. Wasn't having much luck compared to other growers online.
    So I read some articles, read some threads here and other places and came back to it the next day with fresh information to try.
    Still no germination. Not one damn seed.
    So I tried using just a cup of water for a few days
    That didn't work so I tried the paper towel method
    Then I tried germinating in soil
    Then I tried cup, to paper towel
    Then I tried cup to soil

The closest I came to germination was two (2) seeds cracking open - note that I didn't say "germinated" or "sprouted", just cracked. Barely.

The reason for my rant here is not the seeds themselves, though I am a little irked considering it's my first grow, but it's the massive amount of conflicting information. The seed banks themselves don't even agree on how to do it. I can find a thread here at Grasscity that explains in detail how to germinate your seeds with a "100% foolproof" method. If I go back to the search page and check out another thread on germination it will say the complete opposite. This is across the entire internet. One guy covers his soil cups with plastic during germination (cause that's how he achieved 10/10 germination,) and literally the next thing I read will say to never do that. What? So why did it work for the other guy?
    Everything I read that's supposed to be a great method is shot down by someone else with a great method.

I'm just saying - as a n00b, this is annoying as hell. The conclusion I came to is this plant must be super easy to grow since every method out there is apparently GUARANTEED 100% to work.

2. #2 PNWClosetGrower, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
    Are you keeping them warm and dark?

3. Leave submerged in water until they crack, then transfer to moist paper tower until you see a taproot, then transfer to soil or starter cube and LIGHTLY water.

4. I'm no expert but this method out of 6 seeds total planted has produced 5 Yielding plants. Only thing i could think of is maybe your keeping them in light, roots don't like light. Or maybe they're not warm enough?

5. Crop King Seeds says right on the card that putting the seeds inside a ziplock is a big no no. This is what I was talking about - there's too much conflicting info out there lol

It's probably more about how you're doing it. Like I said I tried all the major methods so I must be doing them ALL wrong. Anyways I'm keeping the seeds under the kitchen sink. It gets toasty under there when the furnace runs and it's dark. I have a seed germinating in paper towels between two plates, and 2 cups of water with a seed each, covered and sitting in my grow box for the heat. In the grow box I have 3 small planters, 2 have the seeds that actually cracked open a bit and the other planter has a seed I just planted right out of the package. That one is more just to try out another method.

The seed in the paper towel was soaked for 24 hrs. The two that actually cracked were the first beans I tried to germinate by following Crop King's method, but it took forever and a day for the little pricks to open at all.

The strain is called "White Voodoo" - it's a WW/Maui Waui cross. Apparently Crop King made it themselves?

6. Soak the seeds then tape them behind your nut sack. Very warm and moist and the seeds love it. Lol jk but maybe not......

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

7. [​IMG]

I use this. Put seeds in wet paper towel inside a Tupperware container with lid. Usually see a taproot in a day.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. a seed needs a dark, moist, warm, environment to sprout. beyond that it's a game of odds, and each method you read about is just trying to increase the odds. there is no sure fire way to germinate seeds because you cant control nature. thats how it is for along of things in growing.

9. This is a hands on hobby. Read a lot but keep in mind there will likely be a steep learning curve. Took me a few tries to get past the seedling stage (despite all my reading).

Spend enough time on the forums and you will get a sense of who's input is worthwhile

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. #12 GoldGrower, Jan 29, 2016
  11. Yeah, it's all good, this is one of those things that if ya ask 10 different people, your likely to get 15 different styles, i have really good luck with planting them in a good light starter mix, dampening the soil and not screwing with em, just making sure the soil doesn't get overly saturated or dry out completely, inside bags, Saran Wrap, paper towel, glass of water, rockwool, heating pads ,all those ways work for some folks and not for others,
    I also was way impatient , I would plant the seed or whatever, and when it didn't pop it's head out in a day or 2 I would be poking through the soil trying to get answers best of luck and hope it works out, I know these seeds aren't cheap

12. As the saying goes, there's more than once way to skin a cat.

I've never had a problem as long as it's warm, dark, and moist, and the paper-towel method is usually pretty foolproof. On the occasions I'v failed it's either been the seed (others in the same batch germinated at the same time), or if the towel/soil ended up drying out after a day but those still germinated once I kept them moist for a few days. Fastest germination was probably 24 hours, slowest successful germination took 5 days I think.

13. what kind of soil are you pytting them in maybe hot i mean i wet a paper towel ring it out so its pretty damp but not dripping put seeds in it fold it up put in ziplock in dark warm spot 3_5 days laternyour in buisness also papertowel in tupperware works the same

14. #16 Thicken Dense, Jan 29, 2016
    https://www.cropkingseeds.com/germination/

Sounds like you didn't follow their instructions.

15. Thanks for the replies, all. I'm giving it till Sunday before I decide my next move.

Not for every single seed, no. But like I said, initially I followed their instructions to the letter with a few seeds and started trying other methods when those seeds didn't respond. If Crop King's method was the only way to germinate, there wouldn't be a thousand threads with different ideas..

16. use what works whats been done before i was alive proven methods theres a million ways to acheive the same goal slme are wrong mostl just a litte different all same idea darm warm damp time

17. I hear ya man, but it IS the only way to take advantage of their guarantee.

I've been planting directly into dirt for years. Can't be bothered with some 10-step germination process, I forget to check on them for a few days and end up with tap roots stuck to the paper towel, I'm better off just planting them carefully and going about my business. Check on them a week later and everything's fine.

18. Yeah I'm at the point now where I might just start planting the little buggers since, ya know, that's how the plant has been doing it for thousands of years. I'm not even convinced I should go with Crop King again based on reviews I've been reading the last 2 days. They have some great looking dwarf-autos, though