Who will be the next VICE president?

Discussion in 'General' started by CosmicSerpent, Apr 4, 2008.

1. So once the primaries are over, one of the next major steps will be the selection of running mates. McCain says he already has a list of about 20 that he's considering. I'm sure Clinton and Obama have thought about it a lot as well. Some are suggesting a so-called dream team ticket, but that would be a pretty bold move. Anyway, whoever is chosen will have a pretty big impact on the election so I don't think it's too early to start speculating. Here's a list of some of the possibilities:

McCain:
    Mitt Romney (former Governor of MA)
    Charlie Crist (Governor of FL)
    Tim Pawlenty (Governor of MN)
    Haley Barbour (Governor of MS)
    Mark Sanford (Governor of SC)
    Mike Huckabee (former Governor of AR)

Clinton or Obama:

Bill Richardson (Governor of NM)
    Wesley Clark (Retired Army General)
    Evan Bayh (Senator from IN)
    Chris Dodd (Senator from CT)
    Joe Biden (Senator from DE)
    John Edwards (Senator from NC)
    Tom Vilsack (former Governor of IA)
    Mike Easley (Governor of NC)
    Janet Napolitano (Governor of AZ)

I'll bet the next VP is one of those people.

McCain needs to pick someone who's popular and accepted among Republicans, and also someone who knows a thing or two about the economy. Someone from a big battleground state would be ideal. Oh, and they probably shouldn't be older than 65. I'm thinking Crist or Romney.

Obama clearly needs someone with a lot of experience. Someone who's a governor, or from a battleground state would be best. Richardson seems well-suited. I don't know if Wesley Clark is interested, but his military experience would be great against McCain.

Any predictions?

2. if biden gets it, it could be like a whole nother cheney
    but then again im talking on very little knowledge

3. Sure, you forgot that Clinton herself is actually an option. :)

4. I've said since he dropped out the way he did that McCain would choose Romney as his veep, it definetly makes sense since McCain could pick Romney's brain for his business savvy. Besides i doubt McCain will do more than one term, so Who ever he picks would be the incumbent.

Obama, i believe he would choose Richardson, there had to be a deal for that endorsement, and it would help get the Hispanic vote.

As for Hillary i was going to say Edwards but they were just saying he said in a statement that under no circumstances would he consider the veep nomonation.

Another interesting story they just had on was that if hillary can win pa, and get enough in N.C., that she would actually be ahead in the popular vote, something about how many voters that each delegate represents or some shit.

Also, Heidi Montag just endorsed John McCain.

5. Kind of my feeling as well at the moment. :p

Any specific reasons?

6. I doubt Biden would be even close to another Cheney.

and to Cosmic, great lists except John Edwards said earlier today he will not accept a VP position (doesn't mean he wont change his mind but as of now he's off) I'd love to see Wesley Clark, except he's supporting Hillary and I don't know if he'd accept an offer from Obama. I'd also love to see Obama consider Colin Powell. He had his moment in front of the UN, but I do think he would make a great VP still

7. Well i could be wrong, mean its more of a gut feeling/educated guess. Richardson was a clinton man, hell he even watched the superbowl with bill. Even if he was going to vote for Obama with his super delegate vote, there was no reason for him to come out and endorse Obama.

Plus he does want to be president or at least get his foot in the door.

Like i said its just a hunch.

8. i dont know about Biden, he doesn't sound like he could be taken seriously enough as a presidential candidate. To me hes like teddy Kennedy, electable in his state but no where else.

9. Fair enough. My hunch is that he seriously sees something special in Obama. Maybe he had the hunch that Obama will win. I don't think any sort of deal was made to convince him to support Obama. Just my take, though.

EDIT: Look what I just found...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/03/dem.campaign/index.html

Oh, and by the way, her week's up. :) Another example of her misspeaking? :p

10. I didn't forget, I just mentioned that it would be a bold and possibly risky move. One thing is clear: she needs him a lot more than he needs her. It might unite the party, but it also might turn off a lot of would-be Hillary supporters that have now been convinced to hate Obama, and Obama supporters who hate Hillary. Normally a presidential candidate doesn't trash talk their future running mate for a four month period before they suddenly decide to team up.

Despite all that, you're right - Clinton is still an option for Obama's VP, but definitely not the other way around. I think it all depends on how close the delegates are after the next primaries (specifically Pennsylvania and NC).

11. Oh, and something I found kind of funny: I saw a car today with both an "Obama 08" bumper sticker and a "Hillary 08" bumper sticker (side by side). I wonder who the hell they actually voted for?

12. I disagree, i think he may need her more. My reasoning is that the younger voters want Obama, but if he dont win the nomination i believe most of them will vote for hillary in order to keep the republicans from taking the white house for 4 more years.

Hillary's supporters are the older democrats, and i deal with these older democrats alot, (SW pennsylvania is heavily democratic), and i tell you now they will vote McCain over obama, they are from a different time and look upon blacks differently and are to old to change, but they vote always.

I think obamas going to have to look hard to come up with a candidate that will appease these older voters.

You know this is a disgusting thought, this whole election could be decided on whose the veeps!

13. Disgusting to you perhaps. But you used an adjective, which let's me know it's only your opinion. Anyway, like VP picks haven't been important in the past. You can make anything sound bad if you try... :) I'm looking at this election as an amazing once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, just like 9/11 was one, and we didn't necessarily step up to that challenge well. Let's redeem ourselves and be optimistic.

14. Oh I'm optimistic that it will be a McCain/Romney victory:hello:

15. Yeah, the young crowd would likely vote for any Democrat in the general election... although undoubtedly Obama's support lies in the people who are tired of seeing the same faces in Washington, and really don't like Hillary or McCain at all. The young voters are part of it, but Obama wouldn't be in the lead if that was his entire base.

This leads to another possibility though - if Hillary wins the Democratic nomination, then a lot of former Obama supporters might vote third party. That could be a huge factor in this election with people like Ralph Nader, Mike Gravel, and probably other known figures by November.

Yeah, Hillary will most likely win Pennsylvania by a few percentage points, although I doubt she'll gain any significant lead because the delegates will be proportional.

Southern Democrats (like where I live), although generally not in the majority, tend to favor Obama. The south also has a larger black population than anywhere else in the country other than major cities like NY and LA, and so far they've been increasingly favoring Obama. (And I don't like generalizations, but the statistics are extremely high.) He's expected to win North Carolina, which will even out any lead Hillary gains from Pennsylvania.

My thoughts exactly, which is why I decided to make this thread. It could end up being a crucial decision.

16. Technically there is no term limit for the Vice President, so whoever wins should just pick Al Gore as their running mate - that would surely unite the party. ;)

17. except for voters who realize that al gore uses frivolous scare tactics to gain attention. ;)

luckily though, the population that doesnt swallow his hogwash is very small. ;)

18. I would not be so fast to assume Gore will unite the party. I was going to agree with you but thought it over and decided that could be a disaster for Obama.

Gore has been under a lot of fire lately for his global warming stance. The founder of the weather channel is attempting to sue him into a debate over it. More and more people are doubting global warming and while Gore has no problems giving speeches he is loath to debate and if veep, he will have to debate.

No, i think it could be risky, he may or may not be able to unite the older folk, but he may alienate others.

19. Who I think will be in Obama's cabinet:

Vice President: Bill Richardson

Secretary of State: Joe Biden

Secretary of Defense: Wesley Clark

Secretary of Treasury: Evan Bayh or Kent Conrad

Secretary of Homeland Security: Richard Lugar or Chuck Hagel

Secretary of Energy: Al Gore

Secretary of Housing: Chris Dodd

Secretary of Education: Janet Napolitano

Attorney General: John Edwards

20. Your probably pretty safe in that assumption. LOL, That's the kinda list that will keep Conservative talk radio in business for another 4 years.

[​IMG]