Who Wants To Own Their Own Home???

Discussion in 'General' started by MissBaracuta, May 24, 2014.

1. Have figured out how to build my own 2 story 2 bedroom home for $35,000.  Problem is I don't have 35k.  But do have great way for someone who has land to build them a cheap 2 bedroom 2 story house for $35,000.  Now if I just could raise the money for myself I would have a nice house.  Have access to the land to put it on for free. 

Houses in this area sell for cheapest $150,000 to over 3 mil.  I would  be happy to just to have my cheep 2 bedroom 2 story house.  But I know I am dreaming but hopefully in next 2 years I can raise the money.

2. I think a better question would be, "who doesn't want their own home?".

3. Hell ya I want to own my own home. I want a place where I can come home to and be like yup this is mine and I can do anything I want to. I can relax, smoke, have a kick back all without any worries. 

4. Of course. Not in this country though.

5. What's your plan? Shipping containers? I've seen a bunch of cool houses like that on youtube. Actually I really dig the whole tiny house "movement" (if you want to call it that). But I'll probably opt for a more traditional (albeit small) house, mostly because I want a basement that I can soundproof and maybe even convert to a basic recording room. But beyond that, a kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom is all I want. I live in a ~ 500 sq ft  studio apartment currently, and a place to play my drums is really the only thing I miss. 

I'm currently trying to save up. You can find some nice, small places around here for under $100k, but even that is a lot. Most of those are right in the city though, and I'd prefer to have a small shack out in the middle of the woods. 

6. I'll pitch in if we can use the basement for an alpaca butchery. Well that and the occasional exorcism.

7. Its not shipping containers and you would have to know how to do a lot of the work yourself which I do when it comes to working with wood for frame it out so forth but yes it is something like that. 

Picture 2 of these back to back and joined together and framed out on the inside with paneling and insulation. 
    View attachment 139579

here is also a link helping to explain it a little more.
    http://tinyhouselistings.com/home-depot-tiny-houses/

But join these 2 sheds together and open up the walls upstairs and down stairs connecting the 2.   If you know how to do most of the work yourself you would save a lot of money and could convert these 2 sheds into a 2 bedroom 2 story house that has plenty of room and cheep way to get you a nice house of your own.

8. You realize that the value is in the land, right..?

9. #9 Philosiraptor, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    Screw building a full home.  (Way too much money)

I'm gonna buy land for around $10,000 and building a $15,000 dollar cabin with an outhouse and Solar Panels.

Thats what I plan on doing in the future.  Just building a cabin/recording studio.  Then I can expand onto it in the future.

11. No.

Don't like being tied down to one spot.

:smoke:

12. I do own my own home( inherited) , well me and my brother , we just don't live in it. Rather get the income from rent, and stay at home lol

13. I want to live on a boat and travel everywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Yes I do realize that.  And as I said I have access to land for free.

15. Got mine already.

Everyone that's saving don't give up, Nothing better than waking up in the morning and just knowing you can do anything you want in your own home.

You mean you inherited land?

17. Yes have access to family land.

18. Residential building codes can be a huge obstacle in living in a building that was designed to be a storage shed....

You keep saying "access".. which makes me think you do not actually own the land? I don't think you are allowed to just start building a house in Uncle Joe's back yard.

20. The land is mine if I want it.  It is family own land and If I want 5 acres it is mine with the title of ownership