Who prefers hot lamps?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by GhanjaFog, Jan 22, 2016.

1. I personally always liked the heat thrown off by HPS and Halide bulbs, plants love it warm and they are brighter than damn near any other type of light.

Recently started using LED lights, I like them so far (only vegging right now, will be adding an HPS for flower) but they produce almost no heat and since I'm using my closet to start plants, the extra warmth was a benefit for sure.

2. #2 nuker121hydro, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
    I personally like the mixture of hps and led. My led has been down for over 3 weeks now, but the 2 combined are a pwerhouse. I run a mars 1200, which is 600+/- actual watts. Mine reads 596 on the kill a watt. I run side by side with a 600 watt hps. So 1200 actual watts in a growlab 120. Which is 3'11" x 3'11".. during winter I run bare bulb for the heat of the bulb to heat the enviroment. ( circulating fan of course to distribute heat. ) I also have my tent on a pedestal which I insulated underneath. So the tent isn't sitting directly on concrete slab.

So yes, during the cold months I run hps bare using exhaust and ciculating fan to distribute the heat. But during summer, the hps goes into a air cooled hood. And also in summer I have to run the exhaust full bore, directly over led. Because my led still uses 600 watts. Energy used is converted to heat. So led still gives off warmth, but not the "radiant" heat that big glass bulb produces.

3. #3 canbethewicked, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
    I too use both as my problem is too much heat, mh/hps made my tent way too hot alone I would have had to install an airconditioner in the tent. So I bought a few good leds and left one mh/hps in the tent. Made a huge difference IMO my leds veg better than the mh and the hps flowers better much harder buds almost rock like super dense. not saying the leds don't flower well cause they do but the ones under the hps are denser. I run one 600 watt mh/hps eyehortilux with solis tek digital ballast, one lighthouse hydro 720 chrome, one California light works 880 solar storm and a 200 watt California light works solar flare bloom booster when flowering, this is in a 4x8 gorilla grow tent

4. When I switched to LEDs my container soil didn't stay warm in the colder months and I mixed in an HID to help. Lately, I have ducted some furnace heat in eliminating my cold soil. HID Out, heat in. Plants happy, transpiration up. Cold soil slows everything down, makes overwatering more likely and gnats love cool wet soil mix!

5. We flower with 4 1000 watt hps in our room and the plants love them. Though I don't plan on converting over to LEDs fully, I do plan to toss in a couple of 750 waters just as soon as I can save up to buy them. The better the light, the better the bud! TWW