Who Killed Hip-Hop Discussion

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Makaveli 2 Dawn, Aug 25, 2012.

1. I think everyone who has heard hip-hop from the 90's will know that hip-hop today is radio pop garbage (most of it) Who do you all think started this downward trend of less lyrical quality and repetitive garbage? In my opinion, Lil Wayne killed hip-hop with TC3 and that gay rock album. Soon he had Drake, a jew from that tween show degrassi, on his label and that ended good hip-hop. So many fake artists are selling right now, Pac and Big must be turning over in their graves...

2. No one killed hip hop.

The type of hip hop you like is just not the popular thing anymore. I'm sure it still exists, but it's not on the radio because it's apparently just not what people want to hear these days. :confused_2:

3. thread/

4. the people who listen to hip-hop killed hip hop.. they like watered down shit and buy shit that takes no time to create.. so it gives no incentive to come out with anything creative.. that and the other half of people who dont like it say hip hops dead.. so people start believing it.

5. I think you found the answer people like this have a bad taste in music and they are now the majority. Its the way kids these days are raised they think Lil Wayne is as tough as a person can get. And for some crazy reason they think drake sounds good.

6. This has been going on for decades, though.

The music we remember today from the 60's/70's/80's was not always the popular music back then. Especially with the radio crowd.

Hell, like 10-15 years ago (god I feel old now), the radio was all about Ja Rule and DMX and Sisqo, Will Smith singing about how much he loves his new baby.

It's not like there was some point where Tupac and Biggie were worshiped on the radio. They got on the radio with popular radio-friendly songs like everyone else does.

You turn to the pop station and you'll hear Justin Bieber. Years ago, you'd be hearing Nsync instead. New Kids on the Block. Go back even further and you've got Donny Osmond or the Jackson 5.

What this means is that you're getting old. Music on the radio is no longer geared toward you because you're not a 12-16 year old kid. :p

7. Whoever took it to the dancefloors in nightclubs. No need to be creative anymore, no need to write great lyrics because the fanbase only listens to the chorus.

8. suge knight.

obvi.

9. Hip hop killed hip hop. Warp your minds around that bitches.

10. buzzzzzzz

ur wrong lol.

11. How so?

12. hiphop started out as dance music. it'll always have dance tracks.

13. If you think hip hop is dead, you aren't a hip hop fan. You're just a dude with a Tupac obsession who'd rather bitch than look for good music from current artists

The Carter 3 and Rebirth were the beginning of the end for weezy maybe but you honestly think they killed the entire genre? Thats ridiculous

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiL9bqvalo]Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight - YouTube[/ame]

15. I don't think hip hop is completely dead though. I mean Wale is a pretty good as writer. That's the only guy I got though.

16. Who said it died?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs5MWLzE-go&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

I can post a bunch of rappers who prove it hasnt died. You just gotta look in the right places.

17. Not at all actually. In the original post I said not every artist nowadays sucks, only the ones who made it mainstream pop music. I like Cudi, some Wiz, Nas is still going strong. I don't limit myself to Pac, I listen to 90's era hip-hop in general. Pac just happens to be my favorite

18. Hip hop is dead?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHhbGhW8g98[/ame]

19. Lmao so true, both Biggies and Pac's murders have been linked to Suge. Two of the best in rap in their times taken out within 7 months of each other :(

20. I will agree that biggie and pac where big names in hip hop...they by no means WHERE hip hop or even a portion of it.

They are 2 (dead) artists out of thousands.