Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Who has made any progress in MI?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by peacebaby, Mar 6, 2009.

1. I was just wondering if anybody in MI has been able to do anything to make any progress on taking advantage of Prop. 1 yet..... Anyone? :confused:

My doctor who treats my pain condition currently has just recently put me on Marinol (THC pills). I'm now on 10 mg, 2 x per day. I know there's lots of controversy about this medication, but please, lets not discuss it here (in this thread). I already have a post out that seems to be a place where THAT'S being debated (unfortunately and unintentionally). It IS synthetic, yes, and not natural THC.:(

Well, I originally asked about this med because I was going to Florida for 2 weeks, and didn't want 2 suffer the "withdrawls" of not having my "medicine." And while I'll agree that it's no substitute really for the real thing, it DID help my cravings and mood while away from home. Usually by the 2nd day of being somewhere, I'm all cranky & bitching about how I need a bowl. But this time.... I didn't even MENTION being irritated @ lack of regular smoking, or wishing I had a bowl or a J, ONCE! So it did help me a little bit in that department.

And now, my dosage has been upped to the highest, so I will be able to honestly say I at least TRIED the "non-herbal" and the "pharmaceutical way." So that should make whoever happy (people against the REAL herb itself and who think the synthetic stuff in a pill is really a good substitute)..... Then at my next appointment, I plan on telling Doc how I am not getting the same benefit I was from smoking, and ask to be considered for permission or whatever under the prop 1.

I think my doc will do this for me, especially now since I tried the pills first at least.

But I haven't heard of anyone even HAVING a legal "card," or growing setup or anything like that yet, so I was wondering if anyone knows more than me, or is actually already in the process of being "legal."

2. It's a slow process, though I am not a medical marijuana patient, I was an avid supporter and participated in the passing of Prop 1 in every way that I could. I'm not sure of anyone in Michigan who has a card or of any actual dispensories that are in progress yet, but change is coming. Oh, I just returned from California and I've seen the future of Michigan! We are working right now to build bridges between Michigan's Medical Marijuana movement and California's current state of decriminilization via Dennis Peron! Oaksterdam University is COMING TO MICHIGAN, but only if there are enough people willing to enroll. We need to get everyone to express our interest to them! Then the dispensories will be everywhere! And social decriminalization will come naturally! And medical marijuana will be readily avaliable and affordable, oh think of the edibles! Think of the strands! Think of the help and the relief and the peace and PROGRESS, the community! The dispensories! They are everywhere in California! Michigan is at it's heels, I mean, our movement looks like just a baby right now, but I think bringing Oaksterdam into the area will really get things rolling!
    A major point to remember is that we may have won the battle, but the war is still going on. It's still illegal on the federal level, so even those with the education and means of opening a dispensory are still taking a huge risk. Eddy Lepp was recently busted in California with over 32,000 plants, each with a name tag of a medical marijuana patient that it would benefit. We've got a lot of social and political work to do in order to actually make long term progress, but it's coming! We just can't give up, and I swear, California is a dream. It's so accepted there! Growing up in the suburbs of Michigan, I didn't even think a place like that existed in the United States. But it does there, and will here, and eventually it will everywhere.
    What I'm trying to say is, keep your spirits high and keep fighting with us! It's a grueling process, but change is happening in Michigan right before our eyes!

3. I have a friend who moved out to Cali recently, after being born and raised in MI all her life. She reports the same freedom and tolerance you mentioned. Sounds like paradise.

But it was my understanding (don't remember where I picked this up, but it was someplace with decent rep) that "dispensaries" would NOT be set up in the state. I believe there's a great effort to make sure we DON'T turn into the next California with this subject. And believe me, that makes me sad :(...... But I can definately see it being that way, and us never attaining the freedom to use or obtain as they have out there.

But I really hope you're right and it DOES turn out to be that good!

4. The state of Michigan has until I believe April 4th *same day as Hash Bash this year* to get a system down of registration cards and an ID system.

I highly suggest contacting the THCF clinic in Southfield MI. All they do is take a copy of your medical records and they have a doctor to prescribe medical marijuana for people who need it, with proof from their medical history.

http://www.thc-foundation.org/

Any more questions, I'll be happy to help =)

*Kelly*

5. I hope progress comes soon. It is an exciting time for us Michiganders.

6. The Michigan law went into effect on 12/4/2009.

At that time, provided that you met a specific list of requirements, you could not be convicted in court for marijuana. Either growing or having on you.

That list is:
    1. you have some medical condition.
    2. you have a doctors letter saying that marijuana would help the condition.

The doctor doesn't even have to recommend it. They just have to say that consuming marijuana would give your condition benefit.

The conditions have to have certin qualities about it.

Sever chronic pain .. nausea .. spasums.
    In addition there are a list of diseases that automatically qualify:
    Like cancer, Hep-c and a few others.

If you have the condition, then you can get a letter today.

BTW I have my letter and am legal.

Now then .. about April 4th.

That is the date that the state must begin to accept applications. Currently the Department of Community Health is building the regulations for the issue of ID cards.

The difference between with or tiwhout the ID card is this:
    Without the ID card you can be arrested but not convicted.
    With the ID card you can not be arrested.

This holds true now and after the April 4 date.

There are some advantages to not having the card.
    The conditions covered are much less restricted.
    Quantities are determined by a "reasonable" guideline. Not just 2.5oz+12plants.
    The "program" for without the ID card is in effect now. And will continue to be after the ID cards are available.

Since you have been prescribed marinol, you can get your doctors letter.

If your doctor won't do it then the THC-foundation will.
    http://www.thc-foundation.org/
    1-800-723-0188

7. That's great -- I wasn't aware Oaksterdam was coming to Michigan. I am definitely considering going to the seminar. If there does become a viable cannabis industry in Michigan I would love to be apart of it. I am planning on moving to Ann Arbor this summer as well.