Who has a shittier PC than me?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Cryptonic, Sep 9, 2010.

1. #1 Cryptonic, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
    Talking your workhorse, not some pile of crap your grandaddy gave you from the mid 90's that died a slow death from persistent spyware.

Rebuilt Dell:

1x 1.7 ghz P4

512x MB ram.

1x CD-RW drive (old one)

1x DVD-Rom.

1x 80 gig HDD.

1x GeForce 2 Pro by Nvidia

0x usb 2.0 :(

integrated soundboard :( :(

2. same......cept ati and no dvd drive...

3. na thats pretty shitty

4. just get a mac:cool:

5. My toaster has the same spec!

6. Asus eeepc 701

4gb solid state drive
    7" screen
    512mb ram

thats about it really :confused_2:

7. A Mac is just an overpriced PC with a Unix based operating system, but it's always fun to see the Apple Fanbois with the 'Get a mac' answer to every PC question :laughing:

And yes I have macs as well as non Apple PC's. I'm just sayin', it ain't all that.

8. I have an old HP that still runs.

Celeron 1.2 GHz
    256 MB of RAM
    40 GB HDD

I only hold onto it cause it was my first computer, and the only parts that ever gave out on it were the cd drives. It works great as a Linux firewall though.

9. I dont think he wants to downgrade

10. my computer was exactly like that, had it for about 10 years.

when ever it was slow (it would freeze for about 30 minutes) then start working again (strangely enough i never got the blue screen of death) i would get so frustrated that i would drop kick it.

that went on for a long time, then it finally took a shit. gone forever.

it happened at the same time when windows 7 came out. like a week before they released it.

so i bought a new computer, and its incredibley fast and easy.

so buy a new computer. buy it.now. do it. come on now. do it.

11. Note he said a 'computer'.

Not a mac

12. lmao, all of this mac talk cracks me up.

No, I see mac as a definite contender to PC. There is certainly a difference between the two in their fundamental reason for existence; And certainly a good reason both exist on different market shares. But I think I'll stick to PC for a few more years, simply because they are hacker friendly, and host a million different developers who all have their own style. That's what makes the 'IBM compatible' interesting to me. But I will give apple their due props for software control through hardware tyranny. It's a stable platform for even the most novice of users.

13. Oh snap.

14. PC = great for gaming, good for everything else
    Mac = video editing

Mac is less secure than windows, just not targeted.

95% chance you can get open source software for a PC. 99% chance open source software wont be compatible with mac.

I crutch on gaming and open source software. No mac for me!

15. I'm not really sure I understand why people believe mac is superior for video editing though? It's hardware that runs software, just like PC. I would imagine that there are PC ports for every major video and image editing software available on Mac... at least the good ones.

Pixar was started by Steve Jobs, and THEY don't even use mac! (well, certainly some of their staff does, but there are more boxes running Unix based operating systems under that roof than there are mac).. And they use *nix simply because it is hacker friendly; Almost all of Pixar's equipment has been developed in house by their own IT guys.

16. I've never used a mac. I couldn't tell you anything good or bad about them based on their software.

I just know the obvious stuff that you can figure out without using one.

17. IMO, a mac is a good choice for kids and older people that feel Windows is too complicated. I'm a *nix/Windows user, but I know from experience that everything just seems easier on a mac. Apple really put a lot of work into their GUI, and I won't lie, it's one of the most user friendly OSes I've used, but that fact alone isn't going to make me want to buy one.

To me, macs are just eye candy. They are easy and fun to use, but I'll stand right here next to Windows, Fedora, and Backtrack.

18. [​IMG]

19. So full of falseness. First of all modern Mac hardware IS PC hardware. Any OS, including Open Source, that runs on a PC will run on a Mac. Second, the architectural model of a microkernel sitting under the userspace Unix is fundamentally more secure than Windows model. You can boot any Windows version you want on a Mac. Not one thing in your post is accurate. I'm no Apple fanboi, as I've stated previously. I just call out bullshit when I see it. PC fanbois are just as bad as Mac fanbois.