who else feels that COLLEGE LOANS ARE A JOKE

Discussion in 'General' started by IronLungHarry, Aug 14, 2013.

1. The whole system is one big money making game against students between textbooks and high interest loans..

heres a situation. my parents make "too much money" according to the govt.. (huh?)

so I get 0 aid and about $40,000 worth of high interest loans PLUS i pay out of pocket for the remaining balance AND books. those two combined are usually between $1200-2000 a semester...

meanwhile..

my best friends family is "poor" (yea right)
    he has a 4 yr degree that cost him ZERO. the govt paid his whole way.
    now hes going over seas to get a masters degree which is going to cost him a grand total of $6000.

so let me get this straight...

I pay about $60,000 for a bachelors and he pays $6,000 for a masters???

How in the hell is this right?? What makes me more capable of paying a huge loan than him?? my parents havent paid a dime towards my schooling.

This makes my blood boil

feel free to discuss.

2. What else could you expect in Murica.

3. The whole college system is rather disgusting. The little piece of paper you get afterwards is hardly worth the debt you rack up, unless of course you REALLY love the job you get because of said degree. But the problem there is that you essentially have to guess four years in advance what job you think you'll love. Maybe it's just me, but I can't do that. My sister got her masters, got a job with that degree, and hates it. She's now planning to go back to school. 

I'm unsure what I want to do with myself as well. I've been going to school for engineering because that's what all the online tests said I'd be good at. I recently got an engineering position where I work (I've been going to school part time while working full time), but it sucks. I preferred my previous job far more than this position. I'm debating whether I should just disregard the typical career-related "wisdom" and drop back down to the previous job that I actually enjoyed. My goal in life isn't to make more money; it's to be happy. 

4. i understand that.  i do feel college does open doors to better jobs.  i dont want to be rich, i just want to live comfortably and be able to afford things that i want and be happy

5. And in Norway serial killers are getting degrees completely free.  

6. I think going to college is worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #7 Kuollut, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. It's bullshit

9. It's rather ridiculous. My parents both work and make a good income. So I get nothing, while a friend of mine's parents are poor so he gets all his shit paid for. Yet somehow he still manages to blow any money he gets. Another friend our mine told me that he had lent him $400 but was pretty sure the other guy would never be able to pull it off. So glad that the guy who doesn't know how to manage money well gets more money thrown at him.

10. I'd like to play devil's advocate here.  Here you are with a financially comfortable family able to pay your education expenses but since your parents won't support you, you are asking me to pitch in a few bucks out of my pocket?  I don't even know you and I'll get no thanks.  It's hard enough supporting all the other free-loaders who don't, for whatever reason, support themselves without paying educational expenses for a family who could but chose not to.  You should have a talk with your parents about stepping up.  You're their responsibility, not mine.  You're right, it is not fair

In my mind the educational system is being used by the people administrating it for their own benefit, not for the students they are there to help.  The student loan program provides jobs for educators, and in reality that has become it's purpose.

11. #11 Twee, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013

WHAT?! WHAT?!
    SERIOUSLY???

Okay, I was about to complain but I'll leave it out.
    There's a flat rate for undergraduates here which is €2500. Technically, the fees at undergrad level are free (well, they are paid by the government and/or the EU)... the €2500 is a flat rate (for everybody) registration fee, payable every year.
    We have been protesting this registration for as long as I can remember.

I'm moving on to do my masters when I finish my bachelors. I need to do my feckin thesis first though haha.
    I have to pay the fee for my masters, post-undergrad isn't covered by the government. The fee is €8500 for the masters I want to do, which is considered to be very expensive for a MSc in a public university. The standard for a masters is about €5000. Because I'm doing a masters course in an industry that the government want to encourage, I may be entitled to €3000 back though, payable once I finish the masters.

But fuck me, my subsidized government/European union funded fees feel like fuck all compared to the American system!

12. #12 ByePhilipe, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    There's nothing productive about blaming the poor kid because laws that he had nothing to do with, granted him the opportunity to go to school and to do so very cheaply or free.

Blame the government. Also realize that the government figures your parents can afford the extra $150 a month or whatever towards your student loans while that kids parents are probably struggling to make ends meat. That extra student loan bill would probably crush them and your friend wouldn't be able to get an education and the cycle of poverty would continue.

On top of that, It isn't your job to decide who's "poor" and who isn't. If you don't want to pay the student loans, don't go to school.

But its doing you no good to go around saying who deserves and who doesn't deserve what

And I'm not saying that student loans aren't bullshit. I worked at sallie Mae for a hot second in collections and I saw the major debt that people were in because they couldn't afford $400 student loan payments.

But at the same time, you dont have to go to school. You choose to. Therefore you are responsible for the loans. It sucks but no ones forcing you to get a degree.

13. Why blame the kid for taking advantage of free money?

I'd congratulate him, not despise him, for beating the shitty university system.

14. Because while he takes advantage of it I get shit on. Bachelors for 60k or masters for 6k his bachelors was free. Hmmm

15. everyone im pretty sure

16. This guy. Thankfully I have the G.I. Bill.

Eventually though I'ma have to do something though.....

17. Books have nothing to do with a loan. Are you saying he got a grant that payed for most of the school or are you talking about loans?

18. College is a waste! Find a good trade and get your foot in the door

19. so do i....their $250 book stipend didn't even pay for 1 book...my chemistry book was $260.  My physics book is $202. My calculus book is $232.  That's over $600 for 3 books, i still need 2 more.  my rent is cheaper than the cost of books.  sickening.

20. again. I am not blaming him he is my best friend that happened to be a good example. The govt should give everyone an equal amount and make students pay loans ...what parents make should not determine it. After all. College students are adults right?? Parents should t have to pay. I'm just saying there needs to be a more equal system. ..and just because the government says my parents are well off doesn't mean they can afford 60,000$ college bill twice (my bro is a freshman and we both go to suny schools.)