Who else drives a standard?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by BrizzlyBear, Sep 24, 2009.

1. #21 ryeguy, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2009
    I cannot stand driving automatic transmission vehicles. It just kills me every time that I have to climb behind the wheel of one. I feel like that I'm not really controlling the car to the extent that I should be.

Besides, you can have fun in anything with a manual. I love my little 1.6L DOHC Hyundai Accent because of its transmission.

Edited. Thanks Kanye

• Like Like x 1
  2. My friend has a 3.0L Ford Probe. Not fast by any means but I go out and NOT drink for a night just to get a chance to drive his car, as my car is an auto, and just fucking boring to drive, resulting in the sound system...God I'm a dumbass...

3. Maybe this is what you meant to say? [Not an insult, just confused my stoned ass...Hopefully I can forget about this it's one mindfuck.]

4. Yes, that indeed is what I intended to say. Goddamnit. I hate going back and reading what I wrote stoned.

Thanks for the correction!

5. I love driving manual.

Gives my car more character. :)

6. I dont mess with Autotragic.

<-- big car enthusiast and i cant STAND not having 100% control over my car. (this also led me to hate drive-by-wire throttle systems, and basically anything computer controlled. Carburetor and basic EFI for the win.)

7. I'm with you there brother. I have owned 6 vehicles if you count street bikes. Currently rolling in a '95 jetta 5 speed and on a 2004 yamaha FZS 1000 :)

both are mean, but the jetta's getting a rebuild and a turbo this winter

[​IMG]

8. that is the gnarliest shifter in the world! how much did that bad boy run you?

9. bought the granade at a local Army Surplus store for $7. Its real, just no powder or primer.

10. No competition, manual is better in every way, except very heavy traffic...

• Like Like x 2
  11. very very nice shift knob haha.

i used to have one of those breather filters for a shift knob. it was cool lol.

12. I drive a manual, got a 2002 ford focus, and a 09 ninja 250r. Manual is the best way to get everything you can out of a small displacement vehicle. If I had something with more power, I could stand having a an auto, but I would not prefer it. Some people find driving a stick in stop and go traffic to be a pain. I have no problem with it, im just so used to it, I don't even think about it anymore, when I think go my feet just do what they are supposed to.:hello: When I drive an auto now my left foot, is always trying to work an invisible clutch. lol

13. I love my manual Mazda RX-8, if you get any sort of sports or sporty car there is no use to getting a slushbox imo...

14. I love driving a stick but now I have one that is stick or auto

15. A friend of mine always drove a stick. When delivering food in a questionable neighborhood, some punks stuck a gun in his face and demanded his car. They had no clue how to drive a stick so they got out and ran away.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Well... this is an old thread. But since it's here, I'll throw in my .02. It seems there's a big difference highlighted between America and Europe. It was almost unheard of for anyone to learn to drive with an automatic transmission when I was of that age, and even now, manual transmissions are by and far the majority on the road in the UK.

I think they're much more prevalent here in Australia (maybe even 50/50), but I've never owned one. I don't reckon I ever will. I've only ever driven an automatic a couple of times in my life.

17. Hopefully by now tech has surpassed you and have upgraded to an auto transmission

many of my buddies discuss this favorite subject

I prefer the manual (Saab) for control.. more on winter roads

and the auto box(Range Rover) for summer

good luck

18. Raised on the farm. The tractors were standards, my first two or 3 trucks were standard, took my license test on a standard. It's still hard for me sometimes to drive an automatic I keep stomping around looking for the clutch. lol

19. Lol I feel the pain the invisible clutch brings.

Drove my dads cars for bout 4 years, first 3 were in a 03 Buick rondevou every fucking corner the dam tranny would down shift and ruin the turn and or put you life in danger as it would tend to stick on the down shifts( guess that's Chevy for ya), last of those years was with a 2011 3.5l santa fe, beautiful car had the auto with the manual gear selector, but as I learned that's fun for only a block or two.

Picked up a 2009 2.7l manual santa fe and with limited clutch experience from a motorcycle course I took, I drove it home real nice, a little abrupt on letting the clutch out initially. took me 2 weeks before I stalled it and a month before I lugged it.

Since than its been funoying, but theres a better sense of what my cars doing then an auto.

Even driving automatic now a days I find the difference in brake boosters more annoying as autos seem so touchy when doing parking lot maneuvers.

20190917_143804.jpg