Who do you think will be the next U.S. president?

Discussion in 'General' started by CosmicSerpent, Oct 18, 2007.

1. So I've been paying more attention to the presidential race lately, watching a lot of political TV shows and whatnot, and I'm started to get an idea of who is more likely to be the next U.S. president. Keep in mind, this thread isn't about who you would vote for or who you want to be president, it's about who you think is most likely to actually get elected, whether or not you agree with their positions.

I think it's pretty inevitable that it's either going to be Clinton or Obama for the Democratic candidate, and Giuliani or Romney for the Republican candidate. And unless any major scandals or other criticisms emerge and sway public opinion, it's most likely going to come down to Clinton vs. Giuliani. As much as I thought it would never happen, at this point I think Hillary Clinton has the best chance of being elected the next president. I think any of these four main candidates have a significant chance of winning, but based on the present public opinion, right now it's looking like Hillary is slightly ahead. Some lesser known candidates, like Ron Paul for example, seem to have rapidly growing supporters, but I don't think they'll be able to carry enough votes to make it past the primaries.

So what is everyone else's prediction? At this point, any candidate could potentially take the lead and end up winning, so your guess is as good as mine. Either way, I think everyone can agree that this is one of the most important elections in recent U.S. history. Whoever the next president is will have a lot of pressure to do the job right because of Bush's unfavorable public perception. Also, does anyone have any predictions about who some of these major candidates might choose as their running mates? I still think there's a possibility of a Clinton-Obama ticket.

2. I think Obama has a better chance. Hilary has a huge disadvantage because of the little amount of white male support.

On a side note: Ron Paul is the best choice imho. I'm working to campaign for him in my area

3. Stephen Colbert

4. RP is my number one choice and I still beleive he has a definate chance.

That being said, I don't predict a Democrat president either way. Middle America (the real voting power) won't go liberal.

5. Hillary looks like the favorite in terms of the statistics, she's been the frontrunner for a while now...

As a gambling man...that's where I'd put my money.

The other guys need to play catch up at this point. At least according to the polls.

6. Hillary has no chance in hell of becoming president, IMO.
    ... I would love to see a woman get into office, but not for the sake of it. If she makes it into office, she will ruin any chance of a woman getting there again for a very long time.
    Our Governor Sarah Palin, or Senator Lisa Murkow would both make a great president, and I would vote for them if they ran.

Obama does have a chance at making it, but I honestly don't think it will happen.
    ... And for all the black or minority people in this country, if you think having him in office will benefit you, you are sorely mistaken. He will not give you special treatment - Trust me. He is not black, he is white... so to speak. Which essentially makes him insane and illogical.

Guiliani does have a very good chance of becoming president.
    ... But oh my, do I hope that never happens. He is a Nazi, no matter how you cut it.

I don't know much about Romney, nor his chances really... But he may have a fair chance.
    That's about all I have to say about that.

Paul, well he's got a lot of supporters, but they don't seem to be enough at this point.

Thompson has a very good chance, considering he already had a ton of suppport before he even announced he had plans to run.
    He is calm and boring, but he is smart and knows that government should not be a Federal one, and that the government should be restriced to the state. He understands what it's all about.

That said, I don't care what ones afilliation is, as long as they hold true to their words and understand what freedom is and they do all they can to keep us free. A president like that is far and few between now a days, it would seem.

So you're saying that you think Obama has more support from white males?

"Obama - Half honkey, All donkey"

7. Hopefully it's Ron Paul, but I think it's gonna be Obama.

8. What makes you think Middle America won't go liberal? I think for the most part, Republicans have been decreasing in popularity lately, partially because of Bush, but also for a number of other reasons. What it really comes down to is the candidates... and as far as that goes, the Democrats have the stronger candidates right now. I'm certain that either Clinton or Obama is going to get the Democratic nomination, whereas the Republican choice is still a toss-up. Giuliani seems to be in the lead, but then again, a lot of conservatives think he's too liberal. Romney, Thompson, McCain all have a decent chance, although I think Romney is the strongest of the three.

This election will be very interesting... for once there's a pretty decent chance that whoever gets elected may not be a white Protestant male. We could easily see the first woman president, the first black and also Muslim president, the first Mormon president, the second Catholic president, etc... Just the fact that these kinds of candidates are emerging as front runners indicates that American politics are changing in a big way. This is also the first election without an incumbent since 1928.

9. I kind of found your post racist...

It's the social issues. They don't want everything to go so damn far left.

It will be a thousand years before we see a Muslim president in this country.

10. Here's my assessment of all the major candidates:

Rudy Giuliani - He's way too liberal for most Republicans. He seems to be the front runner right now, but I think that's definitely going to change. He isn't nearly as strong of a speaker as other candidates, and just doesn't project the image of a national leader. He would also be the first former mayor to be elected president, and I just think people aren't willing to give the presidency to someone without experience as a senator or governor.

Mitt Romney - Being a Mormon could possibly hurt him, but right now he seems to be receiving a lot of growing support from Republicans. He holds all the positions that conservatives value, unlike a lot of the other G.O.P. candidates. I think once we start to see some heavy debating, he's going to pull ahead.

Fred Thompson - He's not going to get very far. It's obvious that he's more of an actor than a politician. He isn't very knowledgeable or experienced, and it's starting to show.

Ron Paul - Although his support is growing, conservatives don't like him because of the radical changes on his agenda. He might get pretty far, but I seriously doubt he'll win the Republican nomination.

Hillary Clinton - She has a lot of support right now, but she'll probably end up receiving some heavy criticism once the election heats up. Most liberals want out of Iraq as soon as possible, but Clinton isn't willing to pull out as fast as some want to. Many won't vote for her because they want to see fresh new faces in the White House, and they associate Clinton with her husband.

Barack Obama - I know he isn't a Muslim, but his father was and a lot of people see that as a bad thing. He's still pretty close to Clinton in the polls... there's enough undecided voters that he could get the Democratic nomination, especially if Clinton gets bad press. Even though Sharpton and the mainstream media don't think he's "black enough", he's still going to receive a large amount of African-American votes.

11. absolutley :smoke:

12. The last president made me so sick and even sicker watching people support him. I think there shouldn't be any president. They got too much power compared to the other 2 branches.

13. You don't really understand our government do you?

14. Mitt Romney.

Divide and Conquer.

15. Trust me I do, yet no one deserves to tell 100 people they can't pass a bill that could help our country out drastically.

16. Which bill?

Our government works fine and it works the way it was designed to.

17. That's how this Government is set up. Checks and Balances.

But Congress can override a Presidential veto with a two-thirds vote.

18. One side wants to get our troops home. They send a bill to the president. The president reads it and tells all the 60-50 democrats NO and the troops sit there like turtles. That ain't right.

19. Yes that is right. That's exactly right in fact. That's WHY we have an executive branch