Who didn't go to college?

Discussion in 'General' started by 420 stoner 420, May 26, 2007.

1. if so, how did your life turn out/is turning out?

im asking because its a weird concept that we are taught as we age - Go to post secondary, or become a hobo. is this true? it must reduce the chance of obtaining employment without experience.

what i mean is - you are looking for a manager's position when you have not been one. they would take someone with a degree over you. however, if you have been a manager before, without complaint but also without a degree, it'd be pretty even, with a little favor on your side.

so, who here did not attend post secondary for whatever reason? how are you doing?

thankz

2. I know someone (my brother) who did not go to college. He ended up becoming a manager and has not moved from that position in 4 years. Infact he has had to train the people who were hired for positions he wanted- they all had degrees except him I believe.

Needless to say he is in school now.

I guess thats what the college degree gets you- the ability to not be stagnant. Even though you still may find yourself with a degree locked in the same job, you may have the ability and courage (with that degree backing you now) to either demand advancement, or find a new job.

3. Skilled tradesmen and apprentices are in high demand right now. Alot of the skilled trades are through apprenticeships, while you get paid to learn. You learn mad skill and a decent paying job, $25-45/hr.

Some trades require college though, i'm going through to be a Millwright, but when i'm done im garenteed a job.

:hello:eric:hello:

4. I know a few people that had the chance to go to college right out of High School (class of 2004), but decided to go to work immediately... let's just say that they're all going to be Freshmen this August...

It's 2007 now. A regular high school diploma doesn't mean shit anymore. It's not like it was back in the Post WWII days. To remain competitive in today's workforce, you have to have a college degree. If you don't have one, not only will your job choices be limited, but let's say that you do get a job and yearn for advancement. If you don't have a college degree it may take you 10 years before you make any significant advancement. With a degree, it could be as little as 4 or 5 years, making much more than $45 p/hour. If you have enough skill and a degree (or masters/doctorate) even $50 an hour would be insulting!

Basically having a degree gives you more choices. I'm not saying that it's impossible to get by with only a HS diploma... it's just a hell of a lot harder.

I'm a Junior at Stephen F. Austin University, and I've already had job offers from Google (Mountain View, CA), Apple (Cupertino, CA), Bank of America Corporate (Dallas, TX), and Goldman Sachs (New York, NY). I haven't even graduated yet! All of these positions start at around 55k and up a year. It only goes higher from there.

-Antwan L.