Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Who can attest the benefits of CBD with regards to anxiety?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by CBDquest, Mar 22, 2012.

1. "May even be below testing levels". That's a negative. I tested myself at home using a 20 ng/dl cutoff strip 36 hours after using cannatonic, and I was positive. After 96 hours, I was clean. One thing CBD also antagonizes is metabolism; they think it occupies the same enzyme in the liver as THC, thereby slowing the rate of clearance (increasing the half-life) of THC.

So maybe it extends the high of THC. I don't rarely want to get high...I have what they call an addictive personality, always having the urge, especially the urge to take many tokes if I take just one, so for me, it's very important to set limits, otherwise I'll just become a pothead again. I mean I'm not condemning THC, I just don't feel like it's healthy to get stoned multiple times per week. Others may disagree where the science is inconclusive. There are reports that THC is both neuroprotective/neurogenic and neurotoxic/neurodegenerative. It's not clear which mechanism dominates the other. CBD, on the other hand, has fewer negative side effects (though it still acts as a positive allosteric modulator on mu-opioid receptors).

CBD doesn't appear to block the high, ie) it's not a potent antagonist or inverse agonist (thank god) at the CB1, kappa- or mu-opioid receptors...so it won't block the high.

CBD is also an agonist at the 5-HT1A receptor, which might mean that due to tolerance and down-regulation, we should watch out for rebound anxiety/depression upon cessation of use. This also explains why it counteracts THC-induced anxiety (Action of cannabidiol on the anxie... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1982] - PubMed - NCBI).

2. I really want to try a high cbd strain as I dont like to be high that much either..the strains that I had that were the 15/2% were aurora indica and northern light blue and I love the relaxation from them..I'm still learning the science behind it and really want to try an even THC/cbd strain like cannatonic

3. I've never read anywhere that thc releases dopamine.

4. From what I've read it works within the dopamine system but that doesn't mean much, it clearly isn't a dopamine release that creates the high though and it doesn't appear to be significant, but who the fck knows :D not me that's for sure,

Can recreational doses of THC produce significant... [Neuroimage. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
    CONCLUSION:

In the largest study of its kind so far, we have shown that recreational cannabis users do not release significant amounts of dopamine from an oral THC dose equivalent to a standard cannabis cigarette

This dr frankel claims that CBD directly competes with THC which could be more what he meant by a sort of blocking of the high, I have no idea, is that study from 1982? I'm excited to see future research on CBD so I can get more informed.

5. Since the higher CBD medicines have come out, smoke reports I've read from people say that rather than CBD blocking the effects of THC it changes the high and increases the duration, I've read a couple reports of people saying that it even made it more intense, which goes polar opposite to what is being said. Hence why I made this thread, the effects of CBD seem to be hard to pinpoint because unlike THC they are very subtle, so you don't get people saying much about them, but people need to start making making smoke reports in more of a medical sense, how it exactly helps their medical condition and so forth.

There are so many bloody variable with this drug which makes it so hard to grasp! lol

6. #26 SheenTheSage, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
    Well, I've heard others say that, so it's very believable and contagious misinformation that "CBD is the antithesis of THC". I can tell you that mixing CBD even up to a 2:1 CBD:THC ratio, I still get readily stoned.

This source from 2008 finds that CBD has practically no affinity for CB1 receptors (The Cannabinoid Receptors - Google Books).

About dopamine (see 3.14: Pharmacology of Cannabis and the Cannabinoids and see post #7: THC Mechanism of Action (NOT - "Dude why does weed get you high?")) and see first column: Marijuana and Madness - Google Boeken).

Also see this: Cannabinoid and Heroin Activation of Mesolimbic Dopamine Transmission by a Common µ1 Opioid Receptor Mechanism

This, from wikipedia, is reassuring and disturbing at the same time:
    I'd like to point out that my book says oral administration of THC is not an appropriate method of delivery when one is measuring meso-cortical-limbic dopamine fluctuations. They offer reasons for this, but none of them convince me. Unfortunately, if they are right, then kingdomofmauri's study is flawed, since it uses oral administration, not smoking or vaping or inhalation.

7. If you continue to read it states its thought that the dopamine release is because the user feels good. Its not directly triggered by the thc.

8. I believe the THC contributes to the DA release, though it is not the sole cause of it. It's very suspicious that this elevated DA release is negated by the co-administration opioid antagonists.

9. I had something to say, but after this I'll keep it to myself, ass. Don't think I want to help you anymore.

10. I like the CBD Rich strain, POSTING FOR DA HELLLAVUIT

11. I don't think he's talking about a 2:1 ratio of a small amount of CBD literally blocking the entire high. One of his videos discusses using CBD to extend the high of THC to 6-8 hours. I'm not really interested in that much anyway, I'm interesting in large amounts of CBD to low amounts of THC. And he just said competes, not antithesis.

As for dopamine, I think the jury is out on that one, my personal experiences with dopamine and with marijuana is I don't feel anywhere like I do when I've depleted my dopamine (and I've abused marijuana heavily in the past). It's pretty clear it does in rats and mice and stuff, it's not clear if it does in humans. Not really interested in the animal studies at this point. I read through most of those, they all seem to be animal based. They are however interesting reads. (Not that I linked a better study)

12. There is a high CBD strain called "Sour Tsunami" that is around 14%CBD & 9%THC. This strain definitely helps with my anxiety, with the added benefit of not having alot of the cerebral "head high" from the THC.

So in situations where I need something to relax me without interrupting my cognitive abilities, I go for the high CBD strains.

13. I saw a video of some guy in Europe from GW pharmaceuticals and they have a 99.99% CBD strain after only a few generations of breeding. Same with THC. It's a matter of genetics here, and they exist but mostly behind armed guards. Then again, these people can deal with thousands of plants for variable CBD levels, and growers are limited by space/illegality

14. So I've taken all this talk about genetics to heart and decided that I would get more stoned if I was born red headed.

15. [​IMG]

16. Does anyone know when or if seeds of this will be available?

17. Wait, what is this thread about?

18. I just wanted some anecdotal evidence of people who had smoke high CBD strains (more than 4%) and how it affected their anxiety. It got derailed, kind of expected that though, lol. There are a few good posts in here though.

19. I haven't been able to find any of the high CBD strains as seeds yet. I did see one strain available as a clone in a Denver dispensary that claimed to be a high CBD strain, but I had never heard of it.

At first I was only able to find Sour Tsunami bud at Riverrock, but in the last month I've seen it available at several others.

Most of the high CBD strains going around in the Colorado MMJ market are developed by the dispensaries and are treated like proprietary information, so I wouldn't expect them to want to give away a strain as a clone just in case their competition might not have it yet or something comparable.

20. Both Cannatonic and Sour Tsunami seeds are available. The problem is that they are not stabilized per se. I have had Cannatonic seeds test form virtually no cbd to up to a 2-1 ratio high in CBD. Same with Sour Tsunami. You need to test the plants and save the ones that show a high CBD ratio. Clone the ones that have the ratio you are looking for.