Who at Goldman Sachs also works(ed) for the US Federal gov't?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Swills, Nov 21, 2011.

1. #1 Swills, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  2. its fuckin ridiculous.

Shits literally getting worse, how are you even supposed to fight that level of Corruption?

3. Good post.

Don't forget about Tim "tax cheat" Geithner, our current Treasury Secretary. He was close with Robert Rubin and Lawrence Summers. According to Wiki, "Summers was his mentor, but other sources call him a Rubin protégé."

Well, Timmy's Chief of Staff at Treasury is a former Goldman Sachs lobbyist!

Geithner names ex-lobbyist as Treasury chief of staff - USATODAY.com

Goldman Sachs loves Obama and Romney... ;)

4. Hey, I mean it doesn't automatically mean anything bad. I interned for Goldman Sachs out of college and I was gonna shit my pants from excitement when I found out I got the internship.

They have some of the smartest people in the world, and being involved with them is a great experience, it's just about what you decide to do with that experience ;)

5. Nah, it cannot be bad that former individuals that worked for interest groups are obtaining government offices through favoritism.:rolleyes:

6. Maybe the problem is favoritism and not where they work.

7. Yeah it also can't be bad that Goldman Sachs runs the Obama White House's economic policy and was one of the biggest culprits in helping fuck up the Greek economy.

8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are such geniuses that they needed a government bailout.

9. What are snakes?

or

Ill take snakes for 500

10. I can't even......

11. appreciate this thread, gonna show some people, +rep for the time you put in it

source? not doubting just wondering, i've also heard that banks ruined icelands economy..any idea?

12. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqN3amj6AcE"]BBC Speechless As Trader Tells Truth: "The Collapse Is Coming...And Goldman Rules The World" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AClNfkHgZlM"]Full Show - 9/27/11. Does Goldman Sachs rule the world? - YouTube[/ame]

13. I got an idea- if we just made the Government a little bigger, they could regulate Goldman Sachs; Like if you made that Government circle twice the size of the Goldman circle - it'd be like a nickel and a quarter. Then if Goldman did anything wrong, the Gub would come raging, like Oscar out of a garbage can, to the people's rescue, and goobly gobble up Goldman.

Whose with me?

14. I used to take huge issue with this and viewed it as a direct, unarguable conflict of interest.

Lately I've been thinking about it. I do posit that Goldman has manipulated the system for almost a hundred years, since the Great Depression. Matt Taibbi, writer for the Rolling Stone, wrote an amazing piece about two years ago titled "The Great American Bubble Machine". If you want to learn how Goldman did it and will continue to manipulate the system, read it.

On to the "conflict of interest". A company like Goldman only has the interest of Goldman in mind, and like the poster above said, when he worked there he was "working with the smartest people". Companies attract the smartest people in their given field (regardless your feelings on the usefulness of the financial sector), for the largest salaries; that's how any industry works.

Government doesn't necessary attract all the greatest minds because of many factors (the bureaucracy itself, less pay, etc). When at an occupation, especially in government or financial sector jobs, people become self-interest maximizers. Doing what they can to complete their goals; they're not evil, not crazy, and they don't live in hindsight.

Now that the government is attracting some of these ex-Goldmanites, I highly doubt there is any sort of underground Goldman conspiracy at play. Hank Paulson had to very transparently sell all of his Goldman stocks/bonds/holdings before becoming Treasury Secretary.

It is a positive thing that these people are moving into government sector jobs. I don't believe anyone is evil and would want to further the economic disparities that may still ruin the world economy in a matter of months or years.

Smart people in regulatory positions is a great thing. Mark Carney, Canada's Governor of the Bank of Canada (our Federal Reserve) just took the reigns of the Financial Stability Bureau (FSB) last week. Im pretty sure Carney is an ex-Goldmanite, but this FSB is going to be the new international regulatory watchdog. It named something like 27 banks "too big to fail", and they must meet much higher liquidity standards. Goldman is inevitably on the list, as are many other American banks.

Goldman's almost had all of the more gifted financial sector people. That's because, like Taibbi writes, Goldman is fucking everywhere and in anything that smells like money. Thats what banks do. enough rambling

15. yo know what we need don't you?
    we need the Assassino

16. #17 Limecat, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
  17. The plot thickens...

Jon-Bubba twist - MF Global hired Clinton's group | NEW YORK POST

Flashback:

Tony Blair starts $1M bank job - CNN.com

Tony Blair 'visited Libya to lobby for JP Morgan' - Telegraph

Libya 'granted oil concessions to BP on understanding Lockerbie bomber Megrahi would return home' - Telegraph

18. ^ Tell me something..I am curious. Whats your thoughts on how to solve this "dilemma" ?
    banks and politics?

19. the shit storm rages on, soon coming to a town near you.