White Widow, yeah, yeah, I'm Old and boring

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Johnny Stash, Nov 17, 2018.

1. I think it does partly yes. I think it's a combo of too much light and not being able to keep up with moisture demands, for whatever reason (too salty, low/high pH, compacted soil) I have had the light up a ways for a while now but it kept getting worse. The plants the least affected with curl are also the least toxic/deficient looking.

Hopefully I won't need to worry about it in a few days . My 800 panels are on their way.

No, I figured I had the pH and calcium covered with oyster shell and dolomite lime. I'll look into gypsum. Never heard of using that before, thanks!

I am using the BioThrive line of organic liquid nutes.

2. What are the 800 panels your getting. I looked at your soil recipe. You add a lot more than I do. I did include crab meal, humic acid and I also use a little gypsum as it adds some sulfur along with another source of calcium. I also use dolomite lime and oyster shell flower. 1/3 cup each per cubic foot.

3. The 800's qb's are from Shenzhen Meijiu Lighting in China. They have 800 diodes per panel. 700 3000k diodes and 100 far red 660nm.
    They use Samsung diodes, and a MeanWell HLG-600H-48AB driver, seperate heat sinks, 300 W per panel.

I took a chance on going to a manufacturer in China, rather than paying HLG insane amounts of money to sell me the same thing.

The HLG 550 V2 (480W) setup is $1350 up here, and a similar wattage and coverage.
    I got these panels that should cover the same area, plus, with up to 600W, $970 to my door.

Trojangrower on here ordered them and loves them and gets great results with them, so I thought I'd try. Everything seems good, tracking numbers are legit, order shipped out when they said it would.

But I'm thinking now I added too much oyster shell. I think I was like 3/4 or a cup per cubic foot.
    Whatever. I'll roll with it. There's so much shit in there, probably better to have have extra buffering, keep it from going sour. If my plants die right away, I'll know why :smoking:

4. I hope those lights work out for you. I know the savings matter. Another learning curve with the new lighting. I go light on amendments, can always add more. You mentioned getting bored when your lights go out. Why not run one auto flower in another small tent and only run 3 photos. You'd still be legal and auto's can be run 24 hours lights on. I personally run them 20 on 4 off. Just gives you something more to pass the time with. Most are done from seed to harvest 8-10 weeks. You already have a smaller QB board,right?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gypsum adds calcium and sulfur, I use it at 1 cup per cubic foot of soil, and a cup of oyster shell flour, but no lime. Your soil mix is very good as is, this is just how I do it. $10 for 40 lbs very economical.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I hear you going light on amendments. I think because I didn't add any this time and am seeing a pretty major N deficiency, I got a little generous with this round lol!
    I have 3 HLG 100's, and 2 Blurple 50W's, so yeah, I may give that a shot. Then I can isolate it too. Learn autos in a seperate environment.

Ok good to know. Yeah, I will check it out then. It's hard getting anything in organics up here. I basically ordered everything and had it delivered except for my glacial rock dust. It was the only non-synthetic fertz/minerals I could find at the local garden shop.
    Amazon Prime has saved me a small fortune on shipping though I run into ones I can't get there so I use a shop in Toronto as well that ships free if order is over $150
    I imagine gypsum can be found anywhere though....like Home Hardware etc? Or is it a special agricultural gypsum?

7. Yes, agricultural gypsum. you should be able to find it locally.
    If I couldn't find in cheap and local, I probably would not use it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I will take a look around for it then, thanks!

I imagine hardware/department stores won't have it out now though. It's winter about 7 months of the year where I am, so I have to rely on the one garden shop.
    Or I can drive 2 hrs to Grande Prairie, AB.

Such a pain living up here.

9. Home Depot and Lowes carry gypsum in the states. Do you have them in Canada?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lowes is, or, they just bought out Rona. So I guess I can check there.
    We have Home Depot in Canada, just not in this town. There is a Home Hardware though so I will check there too. Canadian Tire probably has it too, but I can almost guarantee it won't be out on the floor.

Cool. Good to know about cheap sources for minerals/supplementals etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. That's so weird that it claims to aerate, and loosen compacted soil. That's the last thing I think of with gypsum. I think of a crazy dust that turns into a nasty muck when wet lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The stuff I got looks very similar to my dolomite lime in size and shape. It's not a powder. It's granular, smaller than a bb in size. I didn't even crush it. Used as is. Plant's are doing great. Although this soil was build last year. I ran my patio vegetables through it first.

13. Nice! OK. Sounds exactly like thethe dolom lime I use. I will definitely look into tracking some down. Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hey Johnny, I found something that is just about like those nutes your using but way cheaper it makes 100 gallons for $15, you just gotta add waterBioAg CytoPlus

• Like Like x 1
  15. Holy, you can make that much from it? Nice.

I still have about 7/8 of a gallon of each of the Veg and Bloom of the BioThrive. I went waaaaay overboard when I purchased it because I thought I may go with some kind of hydro-organics. But I changed my mind after ordering it. Only used it here and there.

I've been looking at humic acid and stuff like that though. Will keep that in mind, thanks!

16. Found these weird little sack things sitting slightly embedded into the soil surface of one of my plants.
    They look like an offshade chunk of perlite about the size of an airsoft pellet, but they are squishy, and when I cut one open, it has a pus like substance inside it.

Feckin' weird man. No idea. Never seen this in several years of growing. There are zero bugs or pests anywhere that I can see.

I posted in the Sick Plants section but thought I should document it here too. 20190125_024333.jpg

17. Worm eggs

• Like Like x 1
  18. Getting there. Those leaves won't unfold even though the nutrients and water are flowing thru the plants better. Just gonna ride out the yellowing until the end. I seemed to have slowed it with some EWC/Kelp tea, but that will be one of the last, if not the last feedings. Then it'll be water until the very end. The next batch of soil is gonna rock the new babies I think. 20190127_181430_HDR.jpg 20190127_181520.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. They look great to me. I'd be proud to have grown those plant. Great job Johnny Stash.