White Widow cfl stealth grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by trifle, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Hi all
    ive been lurking on this forum for a while trying to get some knowledge so hopefully I can end up with a decent amount of bud for my efforts. I did try growing an automatic low ryder #2 a couple of years ago but after about a month I ended up killing it

I will try and post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to work this thing but my setup is basically a plastic kitchen bin about 3 feet tall and a foot along and across, with two lights side by side at the top with 35w cfls in. Ones got slightly more lumens than the other one but theyre about 1500 lumens each and 2700k. The lid is just a piece of plastic with my trainers piled on top to press it down a bit. I have no idea what volume my plant pot is but its 6 inches across and about 10 inches deep and full of some compost I found.

I've got a tiny 40mm fan screwed to the side right down at the bottom for a forced intake but its not wired up to anything yet, my exhaust is a 120mm pc fan which is level with the lights and some plastic ducting stuff leads to a nice 4 inch phresh filter I got off ebay for 45 quid. Its running on 5v nokia charger at the moment but ive got a 12v one ready. I forget exactly how many cfms it pushes out but its something around 70- 80. I don't know whether or not itll be enough but I haven't got any in line fan yet and ive got loads of these pc fans knocking about.

I'm thinking about doing 12/12 from seedling as ive only got flowering bulbs but I don't mind a bit of stretching because ive got loads of room. I put the feminised white widow seed about quarter of an inch down into wet soil on the 19th, and im still waiting. I have left one of the lights on 24/7 which is keeping it warm but no idea if this will speed things up or not.

I would prefer to grow another lowryder because I had 2 seeds left but neither of them appeared after a week so I wrote them off. The wait was horrendous especially as two in a row failed to sprout. Hopefully with some new seeds the same wont happen again.

Will a single 120mm pc fan be enough to push air down some ducting and through a carbon filter? I tried blowing smoke into the fan and it seemed to suck it up. I could do without my flat constantly stinking of bud though so itd be nice if I could maintain some sort of control over the air pressure etc.

all opinions appreciated,thanks

2. photo of the lowryder 2 I had under 24/7 2700k

Attached Files:

3. Born on the 22nd so this is day 3. Going straight into 12/12

Attached Files:

4. Day 7. The top of the compost is beginning to go slightly green, as if its got moss or algae growing in it. Its miracle grow general purpose compost.

Is the greenness a sign of huge problems?

Attached Files:

5. Day 8. Not much change but going to top up the compost so its easier to water when she gets bigger

Also going to put two more cfls further down at right angles to the existing 2 to double my light

Attached Files:

6. i think u need more light bro.100 true watts for 1 plant.. looks good but alittle behind

7. ok. If I put one more cfl in then itll make a total of 105 true watts because theyre 35w each. cheers m8

8. Does anyone know how long it takes for plants to become chemically ready to flower? Is the 12/12 regime completely useless before its old enough?

9. Your basically rushing the plant to flower. Slower than an auto, but works the same way. Thats just my opinion and experience..

10. Bearing in mind its only day 11 would I be able to smash it back into 24/7 light to let it veg for a bit? Its been 12/12 from seed so far and im starting to regret

11. day 12. more cfls this weekend :D

Attached Files:

12. UPDATE

attached my carbon filter to the ducting, and the ducting to the side of my box. Currently 2 weeks from sprout and has been continuous 12/12. Filled up the soil to the top of the pot because roots grow out of the buried stems according to people ive asked.

There is so much surface area on the filter that I cant really feel any air coming out of it but there is definitely air being sucked in through my passive exhaust. Ive tried my best to make it airtight, covered the whole thing in duct tape pretty much.

However, I let some smoke blow through the intake and I could most definitely smell it through the carbon filter at the other end. I cannot understand this. Its a brand name 4 inch Phresh filter . I am almost certain its not escaping from leaks in the box.

Ideas???

13. Day 17.

Cant stop taking pictures its bloody brilliant. Looks a bit pikey inside but who gives a rats arse

Attached Files:

14. day 22

totally unrelated but my bank account has been emptied of 70 quid by transactions I definitely didn't make. Going to ring the bank tomorrow to report it hopefully get my money back. I feel like ive been raped

Attached Files:

15. #15 Enchanted, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
    Its actually a common problem in todays world. Major bank account have been drained and hit zero to customers before. Apparently the Government can't overpower "Hackivist". Sorry to hear about that... If you check your banking account is there actually a transaction recorded? If so, that just makes things on you a shit ton better.

16. #16 trifle, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
    yeah theres 3 separate ones to Vodafone in a town ive never been to, never been with Vodafone in my life either. Luckily im completely skint and only had £70 in my account haha

edit: the banks refunding me so its all good

17. #17 trifle, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
    day 27

preflowers and white hairs have appeared but its impossible to take photos yet. stretched about 2 inches in the last 24 hours

edit: let it get too close to the cfls like a dick so thats why some of the edges are brown. Luckily I noticed early on

Attached Files:

18. did some lst on the main stem which I should have done ages ago. 3-4 smaller bud sites now exposed directly to the light. Starting to really stink now and its not even flowering properly yet. Its almost too good to be true how well my carbon filters working- absolutely no smell from it at all

19. burnt main bud site. fuck

day 32

Attached Files:

20. Stilling looking good. Was wondering on hows the smell of that baby.

Plus, I'm starting a stealth grow in the course of the next month, and wondering how you made your carbon filter. I think I remember you saying you did a DIY on it. Thanks.